Looking at Laser Bore Sights, Recommendations?

This is a discussion on Looking at Laser Bore Sights, Recommendations? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am getting back into shooting after a considerable absence and want to pick up a bore site. Its probably cheaper and easier to get ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Looking at Laser Bore Sights, Recommendations?

I am getting back into shooting after a considerable absence and want to pick up a bore site. Its probably cheaper and easier to get in the long run than trying to find ammo to sight in old school.

So, I have a .22 rifle. Will be getting a .38 revolver this summer from my dad. Also looking at picking up an AK-75 (5.45x39). Right now the 22 and 38 have iron sights. I have an FFL looking for a scope adapter for the 22 so I can get it scoped up.

What bore site would yall recommend that would cover the general gamut of typical calibers? And a good place to order/buy one? We have local Gander and Cabellas. Couple LGDs too. Thought I would get some thoughts on style and brands before I walk into doors. I don't want to get into the hundreds of dollars as I am not using it professionally and will only be casually used.

I guess I'm ducking the question, but I've managed to scope rifles for about 30 years without benefit of a dedicated boresighting tool. Bolt guns are pretty easy; you remove the bolt and look down the bore at a distant object, then adjust the scope on the same distant object. The rest of them, if you start at a modest distance, say 50 feet or 25 yards, as long as you can get the shots on paper you can crank the scope in to zero it.

But if you're set on having a tool, my choice would be the auto-collimation type, rather than a laser - unless you have a dedicated laser "cartridge" for each caliber gun you own. The multi-caliber "adaptors" I've seen are far from precise. The laser beam itself may travel in a straight line, but unless it is precisely aligned with the bore of the gun, you're wasting your time. A quarter of a degree angular misalignment in the bore (easily imagined in a .30 cal rifle) translates into 16 inches of error at a hundred yards.
    Hodad likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Ironic you picked that year...30. Thats about how long its been since I fired a handgun. Lots has changed. Lots.

I have spent the past 2 weeks trying to find .22LR and have managed to acquire just over 800 rounds at totally unreasonable costs. I can order a bore sight and have it in days. I can't even order a 500 brick let alone a 50 round box of 22LR and expect to get it in less than two months.

Given the current ammo situation, I thought that using a bore sight might be prudent.

So if you wouldn't mind suggesting brands, features or specific models, I am listening.

Links