Ever had a round dislodge from the magazine when going safe?

This is a discussion on Ever had a round dislodge from the magazine when going safe? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yesterday, I unholstered my M&P 9c (10 rd mag), and released the magazine to go safe before I went to clean the pistol. After cleaning, ...

Thread: Ever had a round dislodge from the magazine when going safe?

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar

Ever had a round dislodge from the magazine when going safe?

Yesterday, I unholstered my M&P 9c (10 rd mag), and released the magazine to go safe before I went to clean the pistol. After cleaning, I looked on the floor and there was round lying there from when I removed the mag. I've never seen this happen before (and no, I didn't have a chambered round when I pulled the slide back). Anyone know what may have caused this and does it suggest a problem with the mag or the action? Thanks.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

2. Remove Ads

My bet is your mag allows the round to sit a little high and through the day it slid forward enough to allow the bullet to sit on the feed ramp. When you released magazine it just peeled off the top round.

I should note that my CZ P-01 does this and has never had a FTF or malfunction in the 4k+ rounds I've put through it.

It happens. Could be due to worn (spread) magazine feed lips, but as long as the mag functions when it's IN the gun, you don't have much to worry about.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I agree, the bottom of the bolt normally presses on the next round in the mag, and should maintain reliability. Probably not an issue. As long as your feed ramp continues to properly accept the next round, your o.k.

On a couple occasions with the Kahr PM9 and P380 pistols, yes. Likely, related to the fair level of failures to cycle/feed correctly that I experienced on all examples of these guns I had. Hard to say, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Not with any other pistol that I can recall, no.

Still, as some have said, if it doesn't affect reliability, it's probably little more than a curiosity. If you track it down to just one example of your collection of magazines for that gone that has the issue, then likely it's related to the lips and/or follower on the mag in question.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Never had it happen with any semi auto I ever owned but the explanation the guys are giving makes sense.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

It "might happen" but it is still a serious defect. If the top round is shifting in the magazine then you are right on the ragged edge of an "inertial feed" and it will stop the gun from functioning. First thing to consider is - how old your magazine spring is and who made it. Do you leave your magazines fully loaded all of the time? If you don't know the answer then spend some money and buy some extra power springs from Wolff or ISMI. Factory springs are junk for the most part and your gun really depends on those springs. Leaving a poorly made spring fully compressed will take the temper out of it in time.

Links