The 'fess up thread

This is a discussion on The 'fess up thread within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I figured I should 'fess up to a little bit of stupidity at the range the other day . . . and then wondered ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: The 'fess up thread

The 'fess up thread

So I figured I should 'fess up to a little bit of stupidity at the range the other day . . . and then wondered how many of us have done something with a gun that wasn't dangerous still stupid or at least, made you roll your eyes. So here's my story:

I am an indoor range and I'm shooting for both accuracy and speed, trying to get my self-defense shooting to be in a decent group at 10 or so yards. At our particular range, you step up into the stall, and there's a pretty low overhang. I'd say about three or so feet over my head. It's nice since they have a light in it, however, brass has a tendency to bounce off it pretty hard. I've had it come down and hit me in the head, or even drop behind my glasses before.

But on this day, I finish my magazine and look down. It seems that I've left my phone face up on the built in shelf in front of me, and a casing hit it just right. My entire screen was shattered. Like I said, stupid, but not dangerous.

Guess I've learned to leave my phone face down at the very least, if not in my pocket.

2. Remove Ads

Sighting in my muzzelloader i seated bullet before powder. Had to go home and pull bullet.

Brought my 40 to shoot but grabbed 45 ammo on accident
    pittypat21 likes this.
    A small gun in your poket is better than a 45 in the truck.

I 'fess up honey. I did buy another gun.

Once let a recoil spring plug get away from me at a gun shop counter while I was disassembling a 1911. It was propelled upward to strike an 8-ft. fluorescent light bulb which burst with a loud report, sending showers of broken glass and residue down behind the counter and into the long gun racks. A proper mess it was and the only other customer in the store was certain for a brief moment that he'd been shot.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Went to the range, but forgot all my magazines.

I never make mistakes.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

But seriously, I've made it all the way to the range only to realize that I left all my ammo at the house.
    Ghost1958 and srings like this.

Was taking apart the m249 (only takes once to learn, pain retains). I went through the clearing motions prior to disassembling like one should. I hit the pin to remove the buttstock and WAAAAAM. bashed in the forehead with the spring rod. I obviously forgot to ride it all home. Could have been worse as that rod could go through a wall, however given how close I was to it, the momentum wasn't there. needless to say that never happened again.

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    Was taking apart the m249 (only takes once to learn, pain retains). I went through the clearing motions prior to disassembling like one should. I hit the pin to remove the buttstock and WAAAAAM. bashed in the forehead with the spring rod. I obviously forgot to ride it all home. Could have been worse as that rod could go through a wall, however given how close I was to it, the momentum wasn't there. needless to say that never happened again.
    I wish I'd been able to spend more time behind the SAW. Alas, being a POG means I got a few weeks of it at MCT and that's about it.

I had fun with the little time I had behind it and the 240, though.
    Echo_Four and 031131 like this.

I recently dropped all my guns in the Puget sound. The whole dern collection.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

1.) Took a new 9mm to the range, and found out that I didn't bring any 9mm ammo.

2.) Decided I needed some quality time with my P64, so I packed it up with some other guns and went to the range. Got there, zipped open its gun blanket, and found a S&W snubbie. I had grabbed the wrong gun by mistake. Still need some quality time with the P64.
    latentcarry likes this.

VIP Member
    Got all they way to the range with a locked gun case. Then had to go home and get key for said gun case.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Took my wife to range and she forgot her g26

Hmm, can't recall specifically but then my wife says I have dementia, can't remember
    what that is ?

Maybe volunteering to shoot a box of .50's in a friends revolver so the brass could be
    reloaded for a Moose hunt ? As I recall I got a lot of help from other interested guys.
    Man ... that thing kicks !!!
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Ah, yes...got to the range and forgot targets...had to buy them at inflated range prices.

VIP Member
    My son busted me for sweeping my feet while I was concluding a lesson on gun safety.
    mprp likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links