Checking Gun at Airport - My Experience

This is a discussion on Checking Gun at Airport - My Experience within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A little while ago, I flew south for vacation, and decided my gun needed some time at the beach too... I was pretty nervous about ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ghost1958

Thread: Checking Gun at Airport - My Experience

A little while ago, I flew south for vacation, and decided my gun needed some time at the beach too...

I was pretty nervous about flying with my gun, so I thought I would share my experience.

I declared my gun at the baggage check area for my airline. I had to fill out a form, open my bag, open my locked gun safe (gun was unloaded, per federal regs), put the form into the gun safe, relock it, close the bag, then go to the TSA counter, and declare the gun again....

At the TSA counter, I declared the gun, answered their questions (is it locked in a hard case, is it unloaded, any ammo, where is the ammo, and the TSA agent's personal question of, "what is it?"). That was that. It added about 5 minutes to the trip.

Things I didn't like:

1. I had to declare the gun in front of lots of other passengers going on the same flight.
    2. I had to open my locked gun safe with lots of people around.
    3. The baggage lady couldn't have said GUN much louder if she tried when she was giving me instructions

Things I liked:

1. It was relatively easy
    2. Got a rise out of my anti mother-in-law
    3. Got a nod of recognition from another passenger declaring a firearm

All in all, it was WAY easier than I expected!
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Where or how are you supposed to pack the ammunition? I am taking a trip this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashburns View Post
    Where or how are you supposed to pack the ammunition? I am taking a trip this summer.
    Firearms and Ammunition | Transportation Security Administration
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

For petes sakes if you get diverted to NY jump out of the plane before they go over the state line. Or your a felon
    Jetfuelrm likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Flashburns View Post
    Ammo can be in an ammo box or one of those plastic ones works too...

I have traveled multiple times with a firearm. My home airport is fantastic...but they are all different. In Tucson they didn't even care to inspect it! Flying out of Orlando was a little spooky!

The agent didn't seem to know proper protocol. He asked me to open the safe and give him my bag and safe (opened). He then carried both to a counter behind a "do not cross" line where he inspected the gun, swabbed my bag for explosives and told me we were good to go. I told him I'd like to be the one to put the gun back in the safe and lock it up but he insisted that I couldn't touch it after it was in his possession. After I was told to move along, I was very concerned. While walking away I thought to myself, this guy has my safe opened with my bag and I have to trust that he will get it all packed up!? I walked back and asked for he and his associates names just to make me feel better about the situation! Weird!!!!

My in-law's checked bags just got lost somewhere in the great unknown. Um, no thanks. Where do you think all those bags on "Baggage Wars" come from?
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

God help you if you have a weapon in your baggage and the plane gets diverted to New York city........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Sponsored Links