.22LR Handgun Options

This is a discussion on .22LR Handgun Options within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My 12 yo son has been using a Ruger MarkII Target Pistol, but it's a bit heavy for him. He's a little fella. We were ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: .22LR Handgun Options

.22LR Handgun Options

My 12 yo son has been using a Ruger MarkII Target Pistol, but it's a bit heavy for him. He's a little fella.

We were looking at a Ruger SR22 today that seemed very nice. What other options should we be considering. This is purely for target shooting at this point.

Thanks!
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Browning Buckmark is hard to beat.
    marcclarke, bmcgilvray and yz9890 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I had a chance to shoot a buddy's M&P 22 once and really enjoyed it. Seemed light enough. He loves the thing.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

I have a Taurus PT-22. It's picky about what ammo it eats. CCI mini mags work well, Winchester super X as well. I think I paid $200-230 range. It's about the same size as a lcp.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

I like my Walther P-22 and it is light and designed for smaller hands. That being said, I should have bought a browning.
    jbum likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

The Walther P22 comes to mind, as does the Sig Mosquito, although they've had some quality issues.

I'm a big fan of the Ruger Single Six (or the smaller, lighter Bearcat) for a fun training gun. Yes, single action requires extra care (safety-wise) on the part of the shooter, but what better time to introduce it than with a young shooter? Get them working on sight alignment and trigger press, and on making every shot count - not just smelling the gunsmoke. Especially now, given the scarcity and cost of ammo.

The other thought that came to me is that if your MkII has a bull barrel, the gun isn't just heavy, it's got a pronounced forward weight bias. Fine for us adults, but fatiguing for Junior. If you could find the same gun (MkII or III; I favor the Mk II) with the 4-inch tapered barrel and fixed sights, I think that would be ideal. The balance with the short, tapered barrel is markedly different than with the bull barrel, and it might be just the ticket. I've seen used MkIIs in the $250-350 range.
    Dandyone and bmcgilvray like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    I had a chance to shoot a buddy's M&P 22 once and really enjoyed it. Seemed light enough. He loves the thing.
    M&P22 is a great adult shooter. The grips are kind of big for younger kids. My buddy's 10yo had a hard time hanging on to it, but great shooter and would definitely try to find it.

If I had to do it again, I'd seriously consider the Buckmark for my .22 pistol and if I were you I'd keep the Ruger and maybe go for something inexpensive like the Beretta U22 or S&W 22A if that fit the budget.

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    I like my Walther P-22 and it is light and designed for smaller hands. That being said, I should have bought a browning.
    Yea, What he said... I did buy the Browning. I still have the P-22 but agree it is good for small handed shooters. My grandchildren love to shoot the P-22
    I Love Guns!!!

Love my SR22.

saa
    Get him a Colt New Frontier 22. Not only is it an excellent target pistol with adjustable sights, it's fairly light.

A few advantages are you'll teach him to appreciate fine firearms at an early age, and the gun will appreciate over time, rather than depreciate. It also has a 22 magnum cylinder available and between the 22LR and 22Mag he'll have a nice little hunting pistol, or carry pistol while hunting, all on one package.
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

My grandkids think my Ruger Bear Cat is the cats meow. It's small, light and accurate. If it's not cocked it's not going to shoot. I don't like semi automatic for young kids. For a 12 year old, with training and experience that exhibits goods safety precautions I would not have a problem with a semi auto.
    Snub44, bmcgilvray and grouse like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    The MK II/III Target has the bull barrel, which is a bit nose heavy. Have you tried the Ruger MK III Standard, with the shorter, tapered barrel? I find the balance on that gun much better, and it's quickly becoming my favorite.

As noted above, the Buckmarks are a bit lighter and nice pistols too.

For target plinking at a reasonable price, I've found the Rugers and Brownings the best bang for the buck.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Ruger 22/45 Lite is another option.
    I have one and love it.

SR22 grip has replaceable palm swells which may assist smaller hands.
    Ruger® SR22® Rimfire Pistol
    Ruger® SR22® Rimfire Pistol Models
    I will be buying the one with the threaded barrel to share a can with the 22/45 lite.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I like the SR22 better than the P22 or Mosquito if you decide to go that way. Other than that, I would be tickled to have any of the gun mentioned here.

I have the M&P22 and my 7 year old handles it very well. His hands are still a little small for the grip, but he has no problems holding it steady as far as weight is concerned. He's also shot the Walther P22 and really liked it, too. I don't think you could go wrong with either of those.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links