Need help picking out a bolt action

This is a discussion on Need help picking out a bolt action within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I haven't shot one since I was a kid and don't even recall the caliber or make. I just remember how much I enjoyed shooting ...

Thread: Need help picking out a bolt action

Need help picking out a bolt action

I haven't shot one since I was a kid and don't even recall the caliber or make. I just remember how much I enjoyed shooting it.

I'm pretty clueless in these waters. All I really know is I hear a lot of praise for Savage and the few I've looked at online seem to be for the most part in my budget.

Next hurdle, caliber. I don't hunt and it wouldn't be used for any HD role. Just purely recreational shooting. I'm very open to some of the more "odd ball" calibers that I might not of even heard of. I think it'd be nice to have something different than the norm as long as it's something I don't have to go to the end of the world to find ammo for.

Thanks in advance!
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

2. Remove Ads

If its just for Rec shooting, maybe take a look at the Mosin m91/30 in 7.62/54R. Its a fun rifle, and doesnt cost a lot to purchase or shoot...

A Savage .17hmr is a great bolt action. Ammo is fairly reasonable and accuracy is fantastic

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    The bolt action rifle world is a big world. Maybe a .22 rimfire? Cheap ammo and fun to shoot. Marlin has some very high quality yet afordable .22's.

My wife gave me a Ruger model 77 30/06 christmas 1980 and and I have yet to ware it out and I have over the years killed a nice size herd of deer with it. I know you said you don't hunt but with something like a .243 .308 .270 or 30/06 you would have a rifle in easy to find caliber that has enough horsepower to hunt with should you ever want to. Plus there are a lot of hunting caliber rifles around in the used gun market that can be had for a song during this crazy AR buying frenzy. Used 10, 20, 30, heck even 70 year old bolt action rifles are still quite serviceable.

Look for (in no order) Winchester, Remingtion, Ruger,Savage, Howa or Weatherby rifles all high quality well built rifles. But so are CZ's Brownings and Mausers.

Like I said the bolt action world of rifles is a big world.

Great responses so far and Mich appreciated. I meant to add that though I don't currently hunt, it'd be nice if I decide to get into it the caliber would appropriate.

I'd like something that packs a punch.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Are you open to a project, as in acquiring an older gun in need of TLC that can be whipped into great shape? Or, strictly off-the-shelf contemporary stuff?

Picking up an old Mauser action and building up from there can be a really satisfying way to get a great shooter. You'd acquire the few missing parts, re-barrel it, get an appropriate stock, add a scope ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I just went through the same routine, not a hunter but wanted a bolt for a few applications around the rural homestead. I'd be hard pressed to find fault with the Savage Axis I got. I went with the 223 (but it's available in MANY calibers) since I can share ammo with other rifles and it's plenty of cartridge for my needs for vermin and yotes. Do a web search on the Axis (formally the Edge before copyrights caused Savage to change it to Axis) Not many rifles in this price range $275 to $350 can brag about a 3/4 inch MOA out of the box with off the shelf ammo. Is it a super sniper hair triggered 1000 yard gun? Nope. Dang sure fun and more accurate than I can be though and something to fill the need for a target bolt rifle.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Great responses so far and Mich appreciated. I meant to add that though I don't currently hunt, it'd be nice if I decide to get into it the caliber would appropriate.

Hunt what? Deer? A .243 is an excellent choice. Mild recoil, plenty potent for varmits and deer.

Step up from there would be .270, .308. .30-06, all capable of up to elk/moose. Used to use my -06 on groundhogs but it was tough finding evidense of a hit. They tended to disintegrate.

There so many good bolt-action rifles out there it's hard to recommend just one, but I'd look at what Savage has to offer as a start. In these days of the rush to own ARs there is a glut of good used bolters sitting in the LGS racks.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Get a 308 caliber so you can use the same ammo for your ar10 when you get one.

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    If its just for Rec shooting, maybe take a look at the Mosin m91/30 in 7.62/54R. Its a fun rifle, and doesnt cost a lot to purchase or shoot...
    Beat me to it. $120 rifle at most, Milsurp ammo is like $200 at most for 880 rds, only downside is it kicks like a mule. And as a bonus you can drift out the rear sight pins and there is a 3/8" dovetail underneath for a scope.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Mosin's 7.62x54r most certainly does.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

The sniper rifle I used in the Marines was a Remington 700. Of course it was modified a bit, but it was pretty awesome all around. I see some next generation rifles in the same line and am planning on getting a .308 model 783 in the near future.

With the Marine version of the 700 it was not much of a challenge to shoot an eye sized target at 500 yards, at least for me, but I was the best shot in my class. Even so, an average shooter could have easily hit a head sized target at 500 yards.

I am interested to see how accurate the 783 is out of the box.

I'm surprised more have recommended a .22. Simple, easy, cheap, great for plinking, since it isn't for hunting or HD. Every shooter should have at least one .22 pistol or rifle.... I've gotten away from .22 a couple of times, but every time I go shoot one, I'm reminded why it is a good target/recreational round.

Beyond that, caliber wise, a .223 is common, and the .243 is an excellent caliber. Flat shooting, accurate, proven, affordable, and available. Without the extra kick and cost of larger calibers.

Won't comment on rifles, other than to probably stick with a proven platform....

Sense you say you want it for rec and not for hunting or other purposes I would go with a mosin because you can get a decent supply of ammo for very cheap. almost a quarter per round.

I also have a savage 10 f-something. Great gun but rather expensive $1,200, I mention this because savage makes very good rifles and I would recommend them. However most rifle ammo is on the + side. roughly you are looking at $1.25 per round. At least that is my rough estimation based on buying .308, and .3030 at like $23-25 per box of 20.

Again though I reinforce the rec use of ammo that you get with a mosin. Roughly 440 round for around $100. You likely aren't going to find that price for any other kinds of ammo. and the 7.62 54 is more then enough round for anything you may want to do later on if you ever want to do more then rec shoot with it.

Links