Long story, shotest verse

This is a discussion on Long story, shotest verse within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A few months ago, my daughter began being stalked by a guy she dated 15 yrs ago. He ditched her back then and in the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Long story, shotest verse

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar

Long story, shotest verse

A few months ago, my daughter began being stalked by a guy she dated 15 yrs ago. He ditched her back then and in the interim since then had been married three times and has children with two of the ladies. He lives with his parents.

She built her a new home in a gated subdivision and he found out about it. It got to where he was sitting outside her garage door when she would leave home and was knocking on her front door if he could get in the gates at night.

The man has a bad temper and has been in trouble for beating women.

My daughter is an experienced shooter, having shot often since she was about nine years old. Yet in the last several years, she has not been shooting due to college, horses and work. Too many things to do and not enough time. Well, she came to my house (1/4 mile away) and got one of my S&W 357 mags to take home for protection. The guy learned her home had a security alarm and she had a gun. He still persisted in being there and wanting inside. She made sure he did not get in.

OK, now to the issue. The daughter loves the color pink. Her shooting glasses are pink as are all her other accessories. So when I found a pink gun in 9mm, I bought it for her. It is a DIamondBack. Very light weight. I took her to the range so she could shoot it. She could already work it well, disassemble it and such. I test fired the gun and it has some stout recoil. She fired it and her hands looked like they had been sanded with concrete. Her trigger finger was slightly bleeding from the recoil causing her finger to hit the trigger guard.

I took over with the gun and fired another 40 rounds and it still was kicking back. Daughter now refuses to shoot the gun. A lady asked if she could borrow it for a concealed permit class. She fired it once and borrowed another gun to finish the class with.

So I am out $400 for a gun that nobody wants to fire other than myself and I admit it is a handful. Accurate, lightweight, concealable but do not buy one unless you are giving it to King Kong.

I got my .357 back from the daughter and let her have a 5906 S&W. I figure I will find one of those for sale some time but I will not buy another gun made by DIamondBack.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    As an aside, I would get a restraining order against the guy. I know it's just a piece of paper, but if it comes down to it and she has to defend herself, at least there is a paper trail. My .02
    msgt/ret and .45acpguy like this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

...a Diamondback, on the other hand, would be easy to shoot and quite effective for her...a COLT Diamondback, that is!!!

...hate that the companies take respected names, and ride the reputation earned by them to push guns that don't live up to it...
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    A few months ago, my daughter began being stalked by a guy she dated 15 yrs ago. He ditched her back then and in the interim since then had been married three times and has children with two of the ladies. He lives with his parents.

She built her a new home in a gated subdivision and he found out about it. It got to where he was sitting outside her garage door when she would leave home and was knocking on her front door if he could get in the gates at night.

The man has a bad temper and has been in trouble for beating women.

My daughter is an experienced shooter, having shot often since she was about nine years old. Yet in the last several years, she has not been shooting due to college, horses and work. Too many things to do and not enough time. Well, she came to my house (1/4 mile away) and got one of my S&W 357 mags to take home for protection. The guy learned her home had a security alarm and she had a gun. He still persisted in being there and wanting inside. She made sure he did not get in.

OK, now to the issue. The daughter loves the color pink. Her shooting glasses are pink as are all her other accessories. So when I found a pink gun in 9mm, I bought it for her. It is a DIamondBack. Very light weight. I took her to the range so she could shoot it. She could already work it well, disassemble it and such. I test fired the gun and it has some stout recoil. She fired it and her hands looked like they had been sanded with concrete. Her trigger finger was slightly bleeding from the recoil causing her finger to hit the trigger guard.

I took over with the gun and fired another 40 rounds and it still was kicking back. Daughter now refuses to shoot the gun. A lady asked if she could borrow it for a concealed permit class. She fired it once and borrowed another gun to finish the class with.

So I am out $400 for a gun that nobody wants to fire other than myself and I admit it is a handful. Accurate, lightweight, concealable but do not buy one unless you are giving it to King Kong.

I got my .357 back from the daughter and let her have a 5906 S&W. I figure I will find one of those for sale some time but I will not buy another gun made by DIamondBack.

I must not have read this properly. "The issue" is a $400 pink gun that she can't shoot???? Is this a joke?

The issue should be your daughter's safety and the nutjob that is stalking her. I read this post several times and never once saw anything about calling the police or taking some other action to protect her.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...a Diamondback, on the other hand, would be easy to shoot and quite effective for her...a COLT Diamondback, that is!!!

...hate that the companies take respected names, and ride the reputation earned by them to push guns that don't live up to it...
    If I found her a Colt Diamondback, I would buy it for myself. I saw one on a tv news show tonight at a gun dealer in Kaufman TX. Now I am trying to figure when I can go over there to buy it. After all, it is only about 250 miles from me.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    I must not have read this properly. "The issue" is a $400 pink gun that she can't shoot???? Is this a joke?

The issue should be your daughter's safety and the nutjob that is stalking her. I read this post several times and never once saw anything about calling the police or taking some other action to protect her.
    Steve, I am in law enforcement and we have talked to the division that handles this type matters. They can not do anything until he makes a threat or physically harms her. They have his past history and know he has been charged with DV in the past on three occasions. However, until he actually does something against the law, there is nothing they can do and a Judge will not sign a RO on the guy until violence has taken place.

...cheaper to have him ship it to your FFL...unless you're going horseback...I like the Diamondback better than the Python...snub, of course!!!
    If I found her a Colt Diamondback, I would buy it for myself. I saw one on a tv news show tonight at a gun dealer in Kaufman TX. Now I am trying to figure when I can go over there to buy it. After all, it is only about 250 miles from me.

I would have her go to a range that rents guns, let her test some out and get what SHE likes. If she likes the gun she borrowed from you, simply replace it and let her keep it. The gun is replaceable, she's not.

I agree with the paper trail. A restraining order isn't that great IMO for real protection, guys do walk through them, BUT it leaves that paper trail if God forbid push ever comes to bang. Not to mention with one in place anytime she sees him on her front stoop, she calls the law. Maybe an inexpensive camera system that monitors outside or even the hunting cameras that are motion activated and snap a pic when something walks by.

Edited: just saw the OP's reply about the restraining order, and I have heard they're near impossible if there's been no violence. I'd still look into at least a hunting camera.
    .45acpguy likes this.

...betcha there's one overwhelming paper trail waiting for the day, though!!!

Steve, I am in law enforcement and we have talked to the division that handles this type matters. They can not do anything until he makes a threat or physically harms her. They have his past history and know he has been charged with DV in the past on three occasions. However, until he actually does something against the law, there is nothing they can do and a Judge will not sign a RO on the guy until violence has taken place.

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I would have her go to a range that rents guns, let her test some out and get what SHE likes. If she likes the gun she borrowed from you, simply replace it and let her keep it. The gun is replaceable, she's not.
    As I stated, she got a 5906 from me and I gave her 100 rounds of the original Black Talon rounds. She loves the way the 5906 feels and she can handle it well. I will let her have the 5906 and will find another to replace it with. I never shoot a 9mm anyway. Those I have are just training tools for new shooters I take to the range.

She is 31 yrs old , 5'7" and 130 pounds so she is not a large girl. Never been married and very independant. She dated some guys as she went through college and now goes out occasionally with some Dr or drug rep that she has to deal with. But she feels she has all she needs and paying for it herself so she is not in a hurry to get married.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...betcha there's one overwhelming paper trail waiting for the day, though!!!
    As you may have surmised, there has already been a conversation with the guy that included a few words of wisdom with warning. If something happens, he is going to be very sad for a long time. I took a couple of off duty guys with me as witnesses to what was said.

I guess I was confused as to who you were looking to buy the replacement for the pink diamondback for. Sorry I misread.

VIP Member
    "Well, she came to my house (1/4 mile away)"

Her living that close gives YOU options and opportunities to help keep her safe.

She doesn't have to stay at her place every night? Maybe some nights you can be at her
    place yourself. That'll be a surprise for Romeo.

You can go toward her place before she leaves in the morning and txt message if she can come
    outside or not. That also allows you an opportunity to photo his stalking, or to at least honestly witness
    it @ any future court proceedings.

You can be waiting nearby when she walks home--- or be the one to enter her apartment first.

I'd start getting very creative about watching out for her safety.

Her ex beau sounds like a loser and a head case. Your diminutive daughter, armed or not, may not be able to keep herself safe.

A gun is the last line of defense, not the first, and no guarantee of nothin'; get moving dahd.
    You have a job to do.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    "Well, she came to my house (1/4 mile away)"

Her living that close gives YOU options and opportunities to help keep her safe.

She doesn't have to stay at her place every night? Maybe some nights you can be at her
    place yourself. That'll be a surprise for Romeo.

You can go toward her place before she leaves in the morning and txt message if she can come
    outside or not. That also allows you an opportunity to photo his stalking, or to at least honestly witness
    it @ any future court proceedings.

You can be waiting nearby when she walks home--- or be the one to enter her apartment first.

I'd start getting very creative about watching out for her safety.

Her ex beau sounds like a loser and a head case. Your diminutive daughter, armed or not, may not be able to keep herself safe.

A gun is the last line of defense, not the first, and no guarantee of nothin'; get moving dahd.
    You have a job to do.

I agree. Since I am on call 24/7, I get to drive past her home on the way out and back in. I also have the code for the gate to the subdivision. She had cameras and lighting all the way around her house. The lights come on just before dark and gives the entire yard enough light to see what is out there. It takes me less than three minutes from the time she calls me to get down there until I am in her driveway.

Even the nut case that is causing the issue knows I am armed if I am dressed. He has also watched me shoot back in 1998 so he likely is thinking about it but he does not use good judgement.

OK -- I really am sorry if I offended you. I have a niece that was in a similar situation. She did get the RO but it wasn't worth the paper it was written on. Maybe you need to spend a few nights at her house? In her case I suggested she get about 5 or 6 of her cousins (all over 6' 4") to visit her ex and explain how things were going to be. They never touched him but it seems he did listen to them.

Ain't the law great? After he harms her (which you know is likely) you can then complain. Small wonder we have millions of us that are sick and tired of what is going on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links