Cheaper Than Dirt - unbelievable price gouging

This is a discussion on Cheaper Than Dirt - unbelievable price gouging within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I was on their website a bit earlier and it looks like they have received some 9mm ammo. Great, right? Not so fast. Check ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Cheaper Than Dirt - unbelievable price gouging

Cheaper Than Dirt - unbelievable price gouging

So I was on their website a bit earlier and it looks like they have received some 9mm ammo. Great, right? Not so fast. Check out these prices:

Tul-Ammo 115 Grain FMJ 50 Round box: $69.59 $1.39 a round.
    PMC Bronze 115 Grain 50 FMJ Round box: $69.69 or $1.39 a round.

In contrast, Ammoforsale has Remington Golden Sabre Hollowpoints for $1.28 a round.

Ammunitionstore.com has 115 grain FMJ 50 round box on sail for $35.99, or .72 cents a round.
    Bulkammo has the same PMC Bronze for sale at $39.15 or .78 cents a round.

EDIT: And these are all instock items at the moment, so there's no "oops, that was our price the last time we had the rounds in our warehouse."

I don't think I'll EVER buy from them after seeing the way they're gouging in this market. There's simply no excuse for selling ammo at double the price what other vendors are selling it for.

2. Remove Ads

kerberos likes this.

Its just a case of having something for those that will pay the price if they want it. I have no issue them making money on their property. I do the same thing with mine; it belongs to me and I will sell it for my price ...end of story.

I do understand the point you are trying to make but I feel that you are a little off because no one is forcing anyone to pay that price. I bought 250 rounds of 9mm UMC for $99.99 at a LGS last Friday. I realized it was more than I could have payed elsewhere(if I could find it elsewhere) but I wanted to support the local guy who is trying to make a living and I wanted the ammo to shoot at the range Saturday morning. It was worth it to me to pay more than the absolute best price I could find for something I wanted "now". Had the guy been asking the prices you are quoting: I would have done what you did and not bought it but if I wanted bad enough I would have bought it and been happy I was able to find it.

I will say that I recently bought some 22lr ammo that I was very dissatisfied with and Cheaper Than Dirt told me to give the ammo to someone could use it and refunded my money. Thats why I'll buy from them again.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

VIP Member
    By all means don't shop there if you feel their pricing is unfair, but this is not price gouging. It's called supply and demand. You and I may not like it, but it is what it is in our free market society. Ammo though important is not necessary for survival (like food and water) and this is not a time of emergency (though we in the pro-gun community may feel like it is).
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

I was going to start a thread about gouging, but was going to call for support of the vendors that are keeping their prices the same now, as before. I look at gunbot daily for 22LR (I never buy anything), and I see 22 selling for .04 cents a round by Natchez and Sportsman Warehouse every day, when the others are selling out right away for .08 or .09 cents a round. They could easily increase profits, but they choose not too. These are the people I will by from from now on.
    HillbilliesRule likes this.

Sponsor
    I think its funny that when people talk about how the are disappointed with those ridiculous prices people reply saying "Well suck it up, supply and demand, free market economy". Its obviously a free market economy, and he is choosing to exercise his buying power by not spending money with a company that he feels is largely betraying the community that they serve. I say more power to you. I feel the same way, I will likely never buy from them again, because its a free market.

-Clay

VIP Member
    I have never bought anything from them before, so they will likely not notice my continued absence from their customer rolls.
    68blackbird likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I will never buy from cheaper than diamonds... that being said, bulkammo (one of your other examples) has also lost my business forever with their gouging. There is one family owned online dealer that has raised prices but remained reasonable... ie: HST for .70/rd. They will get my business. If you want to buy ammo at a reasonable price STOP BUYING NOW!!!
    HillbilliesRule likes this.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Benjamin Franklin

"Ignorance can be treated with education, sadly there is no cure for stupidity."

Having run Tul-Ammo before I wouldn't give $1.39 for a whole box! CTD can go take a flying fig for all I care.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

VIP Member
    I think they think a lot of their dirt they have there. They need to change the name of their company...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Simply put i will not buy ammo that is obviously over the top, a slight increase, sure but im not feeding this fire. Ill go shoot a bb gun.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

saa
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    So I was on their website a bit earlier and it looks like they have received some 9mm ammo. Great, right? Not so fast. Check out these prices:

Tul-Ammo 115 Grain FMJ 50 Round box: $69.59 $1.39 a round.
    PMC Bronze 115 Grain 50 FMJ Round box: $69.69 or $1.39 a round.

In contrast, Ammoforsale has Remington Golden Sabre Hollowpoints for $1.28 a round.

Ammunitionstore.com has 115 grain FMJ 50 round box on sail for $35.99, or .72 cents a round.
    Bulkammo has the same PMC Bronze for sale at $39.15 or .78 cents a round.

EDIT: And these are all instock items at the moment, so there's no "oops, that was our price the last time we had the rounds in our warehouse."

I don't think I'll EVER buy from them after seeing the way they're gouging in this market. There's simply no excuse for selling ammo at double the price what other vendors are selling it for.
    That's known as Capitalism. It's a good system and will regulate itself. Are they still in business?

If you don't like the outlandish freedom we have here to do and sell as we please, you might take a look at Russia. You can get much more stable pricing there set by the government and their cronnies. Good luck!
    saa.
    commonground likes this.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

This is no excuse for $1.39/rd for garbage ammo, but there is a justifiable reason for retail prices to go up, even if distributor prices hold steady. Businesses run on cash flow, nothing else. If they don't have much to sell, the bank doesn't care, they need to have the cash flowing to keep other bills paid; it's not just replacement stock costs they worry about. Some places do this moderately, other like CTD do it with reckless a abandon. CTD, is like the Walmart of shooting, as they have so much other stuff selling, that they should be able to cash flow even if they sell what ammo they get at "normal" prices, just like Walmart does. So F 'em, just won't buy from them.

VIP Member
    Deju vu. Again.....
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by saa View Post
    That's known as Capitalism. It's a good system and will regulate itself. Are they still in business?

If you don't like the outlandish freedom we have here to do and sell as we please, you might take a look at Russia. You can get much more stable pricing there set by the government and their cronnies. Good luck!
    saa.
    They are still scaling fences and building rafts to get into the US. Where else are they doing that? If you think about it, many of the gun shops have so little inventory that they have to try to make enough money on what inventory they do have to keep their doors open. Just a thought.
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links