Are my sights off? Or is it just me?

This is a discussion on Are my sights off? Or is it just me? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So me and a friend went to the range and had a little fun since the state park just opened and apparently they stocked up ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By high pockets

Thread: Are my sights off? Or is it just me?

So me and a friend went to the range and had a little fun since the state park just opened and apparently they stocked up on all kinds of ammo and its been untouched until a few weeks ago. Anyways, we shot my SIG P226 and my Walther P22 and I noticed that my shots from the SIG were low and to the right. I don't know if its me or the gun since shot placement was consistently in the same spot

The left is the Walther, the right is the SIG

any tips? The sights are combat sights and the target was at 12 yds.

IMG_1624.jpg

It's definitely the guns. Since I know you must be distraught over this situation; and I would feel terrible if you were to continue to suffer emotional harm if the situation is left as it is, just send your guns to me, and I will take the burden of mismanufactured guns upon my shoulder.
    fredg53 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

On the other hand, If you really think you can stand the emotional burden, you might want to get some "correction targets," to help diagnose your issues.

correctionchartright-270x350.jpg

- Anon

Have you shot the gun from a rest?

I would try that first. If the groupings were tighter then it might be easier to diagnose the issue, but you have a pretty good spread on those targets.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I'll find out tonight. I'm going to the range in a bit to get you guys some feedback from your suggestions.

Did your friend shoot the same guns? What did his targets look like? The sig may or may not be off -- but it was tighter

Distinguished Member
    If I had a nickel for every guy at the range who handed me a gun telling me that his sights must be off and if I could check them, I would be rich. Never have the sights been off. It is usually the way they pull the trigger. They pull it consistently the same way so the shots go to the same spot all the time. In some cases, like mine, they are left eye dominant but right handed and do not know it. I have seen some new guns with sights that came from the factory not centered in their dovetail but it was pretty obvious.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

I echo the idea of shooting from a rest. You must eliminate as many variables as you can, and shooting offhand is just not going to cut it. Now if you happened to have an A class shooter at your range, while you're there, you might ask them to try your pistols, but barring that, a good shooting rest is the next best thing.

- Anon

If you're shooting the Glock consistently to the right, move your aim left of center and see if that fixes your problem...if so, then adjust the sights.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you're shooting the Glock consistently to the right, move your aim left of center and see if that fixes your problem...if so, then adjust the sights.
    Good advice, if he's shooting a Glock, but he's shooting a Sig P226 and a Walther P22!

- Anon

May I ask how long you have been shooting? Honestly, it is nearly impossible to diagnose the issue without a discernible group. The previous comments about shooting from a rest are spot on until you are able to pull a tight group.

Alright well here are the pictures, two are one magazine apiece.

These are at 10 yds
    IMG_1667[1].jpg

1 and 2 are at 7 yds. 3, 4, and 5 are at 12 yds
    IMG_1668[1].jpg

One of the guys at the counter helped me out a little by adjusting my grip. He also mentioned it might be my trigger pull as well. So it seems like I'll be working on that aspect in the future.

Lead Moderator
    Looks as if most are consistently to the right. Some dry fire practice with watching your sights might help with trigger control.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

IMHO, until you're consistently shooting 2-3" groups at 12 yards with those two pistols (regardless of where that group is on the target) you should leave your sights alone. Until you develop the pistolero skills to keep 'em at least that close together, moving your sights is chasing your own tail. Enjoy getting good!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Sponsored Links