National associations protecting our rights as gun owners

This is a discussion on National associations protecting our rights as gun owners within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We have the National Riflemanís Association , National Gun Rights Association , National Responsible Gun Owners Association , Gun Owners of America , and many ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TX expat

Thread: National associations protecting our rights as gun owners

We have the National Riflemanís Association, National Gun Rights Association, National Responsible Gun Owners Association, Gun Owners of America, and many more groups that are trying to protect our rights. Of these, the NRA is the largest and they have the biggest lobbing effort, but some do not agree with some of their principles.

What are your thoughts on all the different associations that have the same general topic, but address the concerns from a different direction? Do you personally believe that the NRA is the only one that is large enough to make a difference or do the smaller groups have enough pull to protect our rights? Do you belong to any of these groups and do you feel that they are actually representing your rights and beliefs or just playing politics?

As of right now, I donít belong to any of them, but I plan on joining one or more of them in the coming months.

VIP Member
    Here's my two cents...

I belong to the NRA and the GOA. The NRA because it's the largest and most powerful force that protects our Second Amendment and GOA because Erich Pratt is an extremely well spoken advocate and I believe the GOA does a good job of keeping the NRA honest.

I don't care for the NGRA because, IMO, they spend way too much time looking for ways to bash the NRA, which in most cases is counterproductive to the overall cause. I'm not saying that the NRA shouldn't be taken to task for serious errors but they appear to do it more to gain support for themselves than to for any productive purpose. Weakening the NRA for the sake of taking down the competition does not do anything good for the Second Amendment.

I know nothing about the NRGOA.

I did a poll a while back asking members which gun rights groups they supported. Here's a link in case you are interested in the results.

Which Gun Owner Rights Groups Do You Support?
    MJClark likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Links