27 yrs. ago today......The Miami Shoot Out.

This is a discussion on 27 yrs. ago today......The Miami Shoot Out. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "On April 11, 1986 at 0945 hours, an incident occurred that would ultimately turn law enforcement on its head. About an hour earlier, a group ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 27 yrs. ago today......The Miami Shoot Out.

"On April 11, 1986 at 0945 hours, an incident occurred that would ultimately turn law enforcement on its head. About an hour earlier, a group of FBI agents initiated a rolling stakeout in search of two robbery and homicide suspects. A vehicle stolen from a shooting victim had been identified. The suspect vehicle was located and a felony stop was initiated. During the stop, the suspect vehicle was forced off the road. The two suspects emerged from their vehicles and opened fire with a shotgun, .223 caliber rifle, and two .357 caliber revolvers. The ensuing gun battle resulted in the deaths of the two suspects as well as two FBI agents. Five other agents were wounded in the battle. The tactics employed, weapons used, and physical and physiological reactions of those involved sparked huge changes in the law enforcement world."

VIP Member
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    The full report and summary conclusions should be required reading for anyone who carries a gun.
    PoLockNLoad and nedrgr21 like this.

I have personally seen the uncut video of this tragedy. My ex-wife's cousin worked and retired from the FBI in Miami-Dade and knew everyone of the agents and still has the film.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Much was learned. Much was lost.

I have a copy of the video form the re-enactment of the chase and shootout. Lots to learn from it and so sorry for the losses, but lessons well learned from it.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Tzed250 View Post
    Much was learned. Much was lost.
    Two FBI agents, and many illusions.
    nedrgr21 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    "On April 11, 1986 at 0945 hours, an incident occurred that would ultimately turn law enforcement on its head. About an hour earlier, a group of FBI agents initiated a rolling stakeout in search of two robbery and homicide suspects. A vehicle stolen from a shooting victim had been identified. The suspect vehicle was located and a felony stop was initiated. During the stop, the suspect vehicle was forced off the road. The two suspects emerged from their vehicles and opened fire with a shotgun, .223 caliber rifle, and two .357 caliber revolvers. The ensuing gun battle resulted in the deaths of the two suspects as well as two FBI agents. Five other agents were wounded in the battle. The tactics employed, weapons used, and physical and physiological reactions of those involved sparked huge changes in the law enforcement world."
    Thanks for reminding us of this day. We all know the lessons, but often fail to remember how they came to pass.

ummmm my post showed up on the wrong thread lol. that was strange.

Distinguished Member
    I have read much about this encounter. Many mistakes made. Never underestimate your enemy.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Never overestimate your ammo.

dan
    onacoma likes this.

I just watched the video on YouTube.
    Wow.
    I am speechless.
    "for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." -- Paul

Senior Moderator
    mano3 likes this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    This event gave birth to the 10mm Kurz! Most LEOs carry the round as it is known as the .40 S&W!

Also give us the story that the FBI were not skilled enough to handle the recoil from a full load 10mm so they developed the lighter load of the .40 S&W! That is always good enough to start a girly man debate!
    CWOLDOJAX likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Did this incident cause the 1986 automatic weapons law?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links