Unique target

This is a discussion on Unique target within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was at a scene this week that I am not sure about and want to see if I can duplicate the damage. While this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Unique target

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar

Unique target

I was at a scene this week that I am not sure about and want to see if I can duplicate the damage. While this was my second time in 40 yrs to see damage contributed to the offending object, I still do not believe it. Now to explain:

Incident #1. A man left his bathroom ceiling heater on over night. There was a large can of hair spray on a shelf above the toilet bowl. During the night, the can of hair spray is suspected of over heating and blew up. It left a small hole in the ceiling where the cap penetrated the sheetrock. It also knocked an outside brick wall some five inches out at the top. The wall had to be replaced.

Incident #2. This week. I went to a beauty shop where there was an explosion. This was a 900 sq ft business in a strip mall. A can of hair spray exploded due to unknown causes. It blew out windows in both the front and back of the business. Also a fire started that smoked up the place. Two people inside were injured.

I am not a fireman and not trained in explosives. I DO NOT believe a can of hair spray can do this kind of damage.

My plan is to buy several cans of hair spray at a dollar store. Place them in a field and shoot them from a distance. I want to place various objects around the cans to see the damage effects.

Ok, now try to talk me out of this with valid reasons why it should not be done.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

2. Remove Ads

Because it sounds dangerous?

Nah, it sounds too cool to try to talk you out of it.
    airslot likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Don't do it. OK, I tried.

Be sure to get video and/or pics.
    Brad426, Taurahe, airslot and 2 others like this.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Distinguished Member
    Ya - don't do it . . . without pics and video. Post em up here when you get em.

OTOH, I would bet you could just do a youtube search and watch a video, pretty sure someone has probably done it.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I watched a couple of vids on Youtube showing hairspray can explosions, but even the largest left me doubting one could displace a brick as you described. I suppose in some type of room with poor pressure or air ventilation the windows could be blown out, but perhaps there was a fuel-air bomb type reaction. That is, if the can released a large spray or mist prior to explosion, having seen how those types of bombs work, I bet the effect could be multiplied dozens of times.
    Laws do not stop criminals, bullets do.

Lead Moderator
    You shouldn't see the same collateral damage blowing up the cans outside, there is nothing to confine the pressure wave. The high pressure release in the confined space is the most probable reason for the damage to the house wall. If the bathroom had a window it should have been destroyed before the brick wall was pushed out. But if you do shoot the pressurized cans they should "travel"!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    "You'll shoot your eye out.."

Make sure you have some good eye protection, and plenty of space around you to keep others from getting hurt by flying debris.

Other than that... I can only assume that you're an adult..
    Taurahe and lionround like this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Shooting the cans won't get you the desired effect. The cans "exploded" because in a confined container, a given amount of gas will expand when subjected to higher temperatures. What probably happened is the container started to leak and the released gasses (being flammable) ignited. I can see it easily blowing out the windows in the beauty parlor, but the one in the bathroom is a little odd.
    bigmacque likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Wrap the can in duct tape before you shoot it to increase the internal pressure.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Also keep in mind Charles’s Law. Charles’s Law states that when a gas is heated the pressure in the container increases. If you try your test on room temperature cans they will likely have different results than heated cans. Without knowing at what temperature did the cans explode it would be hard to recreate the scene.
    When shooting the cans your bullet will puncture the can in a small area releasing the some pressure from the hole that might change the test as well.

Charles’s Law
    DPMS AR-15
    Mossberg 835 Ulti-MAG
    M&P .40sw
    M&P Shield .40sw

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Shooting the cans will only punch a hole in them, they will not "explode." Drop a can of hair spray into a fire and you'll be amazed at the results.

I once shot a full SCUBA tank with a .30-06 (Think Jaws) to see what would happen. Used military ammo too. At about 100 yards, the first shot glanced off the tank and knocked it over. The second hit the thicker base and caused a crack that let all the air out. No massive explosion like the movie.

And no, I do NOT reccommend anyone trying this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Take pictures...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

...I'd pick Pat Bradford's brain on that one...bet he's seen a few situations like that...

...cwap...he's been retired since 98...everybody's retired...

...we used to light Right Guard cans spraying and chase each other with the torches...one of the stupidest things we did in our youth...after seeing what they could do...it's a wonder we didn't put our eyes out...

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Build a drywall and stud box around it and put an electric heat plate underneath the can. Might get you some different results.

Have the authorities ruled out a meth lab on the first instance?
    Taurahe, Hoganbeg and msgt/ret like this.

I have never shot a hair spray can but can attest that a good fire, in a 55 gallon drum, will get them going in a big way! I'm thankful I survived my youth!
    NH_Esau likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links