Is it legal to *gift* firearm to FOID-having family member w/o Gov/paper involvement?

This is a discussion on Is it legal to *gift* firearm to FOID-having family member w/o Gov/paper involvement? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am an adult, with a FOID, who lives in IL (not Chicago). I am trying to find something on the internet (state police, ATF, ...

Thread: Is it legal to *gift* firearm to FOID-having family member w/o Gov/paper involvement?

Is it legal to *gift* firearm to FOID-having family member w/o Gov/paper involvement?

I am an adult, with a FOID, who lives in IL (not Chicago). I am trying to find something on the internet (state police, ATF, & other websites) that say it is ok to gift a firearm within the family (to me), without having to use any kind of "transfer of ownership" or other government involved paperwork.

Is this legal? Can someone please point me to where it says this?

2. Remove Ads

Try the Illinois State Rifle Association. They may be able to answer your question. Illinois State Rifle Association
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    This should help. Waiting period still applies from what I gather and there is record keeping required for the seller.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/firearms052104.pdf

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In IL? I seriously doubt it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Try the Illinois State Rifle Association. They may be able to answer your question.
    Illinois State Rifle Association
    Thank you much, but I was not able to find any related info on their website. I think I will try calling them next...

Quote Originally Posted by RightyLefty View Post
    This should help. Waiting period still applies from what I gather and there is record keeping required for the seller.
    http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/firearms052104.pdf
    Thank you as well, but there is no seller. This Illinois State Police brochure doesn't say anything about when gifting.

And btw, I'm talking about used guns that I want to take from my (recently deceased) father and step-mother who is currently in possession of them. The two guns were not mentioned in his will, and my step mother does not want them...

It's on the back of your FOID. It mentions transfers, not sales. If you have a valid FOID, you can get the guns and your step mother just has to keep a record of the transfer for 10 yrs. There are no transfer papers that have to be sent to anyone.

Links