I have one of those "Duh Me" questions......

This is a discussion on I have one of those "Duh Me" questions...... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I watched this video....... Gun Control Boone County IN Sheriff Ken Campbell on ABSURDITY of banning high capacity magazines - YouTube It shows someone shooting ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: I have one of those "Duh Me" questions......

I watched this video.......
    Gun Control Boone County IN Sheriff Ken Campbell on ABSURDITY of banning high capacity magazines - YouTube

It shows someone shooting 2 15 round magazines, 3 10 round magazines, and 5 6 round magazines... My question is why doesn't the slide "lock" open after each magazine is emptied and changed yet when the last magazine is emptied it "locks" open? What am I missing???
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Well, if he is changing mags with one left in the chamber, it isn't time for the slide to lock just yet.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

I don't think they were shooting the magazinzes dry just counting the shots then switching mags.

Depends on the individual gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    I don't think they were shooting the magazinzes dry just counting the shots then switching mags.
    Correct... in accordance with what they've probably been taught, i.e., don't shoot the gun dry.
    ANGLICO likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I counted the shots in each sequence. Using the handgun with the 5-6 round magazine as the example. He fired 5 rounds from the 1st magazine, 6 rounds from magazine 2-4 and 7 rounds from magazine 5 for a total of 30 rounds. The gun was only empty after the last magazine. In other words he fudged the demonstration. To get a true picture of the time, you would have to add time for hitting the slide release, or fire each magazine dry, thus requiring hitting the slide release.

Same was true for the demonstration of the person rushing the shooter.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I counted the shots in each sequence. Using the handgun with the 5-6 round magazine as the example. He fired 5 rounds from the 1st magazine, 6 rounds from magazine 2-4 and 7 rounds from magazine 5 for a total of 30 rounds. The gun was only empty after the last magazine. In other words he fudged the demonstration. To get a true picture of the time, you would have to add time for hitting the slide release, or fire each magazine dry, thus requiring hitting the slide release.

Wouldn't that be consistent with leaving the last one in the pipe when the mag is empty, dropping the mag and inserting a new mag? For mag 1 he fires 5, leaving 1 in the pipe. For mags 2-4 he fires 6, but each time the gun starts with 6+1. So the last mag he fires all 7 to empty and lock the slide.

I don't think the demonstration is fudged - if you have a disciplined shooter, heck bent on killing people, it doesn't much matter if you have 17 round mags, 10 round mags, or 7 round mags. Would a shooter be that disciplined? Well who knows. But the demonstration does illustrate the folly of mag limits.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member
    I guess you could call it fudging. The training is combat reloading. Given the right circumstances going between floors or buildings you may have 5 or six rounds left in a magazine but switch out anyway so you start the new location with a fresh load out.

When you look at videos of true experts you can see the changing of a magazine adds very little to the time of a fight. If you wait for the shooter to stop shooting and try to rush him during a reload if he is good you find yourself dead from the remaining round in the chamber while reloading.

We are talking the difference of killing a pedestrian with a cadillac or a volkswagon. Dead is dead. People are frustrated because you can't stop crazy or a person who is sane but willing to give their life for a cause. They fool themselves into believing they are doing something by passing laws. The truth is the only person that can bring an end to a shooting is another person with a gun. Nobody will admit the sheep dog is the only one willing to die for the flock not the ram not the wolf not the ewe only the sheep dog.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post

There was no 'fudging'. Remember, they only achieved slide lock at the end of the last magazine in each of the shoots. That means they were dropping empty magazines after the final round was chambered. The first round shot after each magazine change was the last round from the prior magazine.

Links