Well I have a stack on cabinet

This is a discussion on Well I have a stack on cabinet within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Stack-On | Products | 18-Gun Fully Convertible Steel Security Cabinet So all those dang cases are taking up A lot of room, so I broke ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Alex_C
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By oneshot
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Well I have a stack on cabinet

Stack-On | Products | 18-Gun Fully Convertible Steel Security Cabinet

So all those dang cases are taking up A lot of room, so I broke down and got this cabinet. yeah yeah safes are better I know. but if I'm going to get a safe I'm going to get a SAFE and finding a landlord that is willing to let you bolt down a 1,200 lb beast of a safe is likely few and far between (in my experience of asking anyway) so waiting until I have my own house.

So here is my question: what are your tips for keeping the humidity from rusting up my guns?

Here is an idea of how humid it gets, my rearview mirror fell off my windshield last summer. Yep, and the glass guys I went to, to stick it back on said it's common around here.

So I don't physically have it yet, so not sure if I can get one of those plug in systems (should have it in the next week or so) so looking for all ideas, things you all do.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I think this might work for your gun cabinet Stack-On | Products | Rechargeable Cordless Dehumidifier, but you will probably need 2-3 of them due to the extreme humidity in your hometown.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    I think this might work for your gun cabinet Stack-On | Products | Rechargeable Cordless Dehumidifier, but you will probably need 2-3 of them due to the extreme humidity in your hometown.
    Thanks, I will be looking into those, was unaware they came in a no plug form.

Another question I just thought of. Storing bolt action/any gun open or closed (bolt open/slide retracted/ etc.)

"Here is an idea of how humid it gets, my rearview mirror fell off my windshield last summer. Yep, and the glass guys I went to, to stick it back on said it's common around here."

You need to find new glass guys. I live in an extremely dry climate in the middle east, and I've had my rear view mirror put back on 4 times in the last year. It fell off in the intense heat of last summer while we were on a road trip to the extreme south of Israel, and it's been a nightmare ever since, but it obviously has nothing to do with humidity. I chalk it up to Subaru not being what they were, to the car being 12 years old, and to incompetent glass work. The last time it fell off, I ended up replacing the whole windshield, and the guys who did that claim to stand behind their work. We'll see.

jb

I use damp rid in my stack on cabinets. Works great!
    RemMod597 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    "So here is my question: what are your tips for keeping the humidity from rusting up my guns? "

The same ways you did before you got the cabinet. Gun cabinets/safes don't cause rust, lack of care does.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Assuming your cabinet is air-tight enough to keep most of the moisture out, any of the "golden rod" or other dehumidifying products ought to help. Of course, that assumes the cabinet is any better than simply tossing the stuff in a corner of the room and hoping the moisture will stay away. The cabinet should be far better than that, if you're to have any hope of keeping them humidity-free.

In a proper safe, I've had the golden rod, rechargeable EVA units and the canisters of desiccant. So long as there's sufficient ability to remove the humidity that's there, and so long as you properly oil/prepare your weapons for storage, it should be fine.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    You can always buy Desiccant Crystals in bulk. When they change in color from blue to pink, take them out, and dry them out in the oven. They are then recharged and can be used again.
    VBVAGUY likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    So here is my question: what are your tips for keeping the humidity from rusting up my guns?
    shoot them.

let us know how you like that cabinet. I'm thinking about getting one to lock up my ammo per my wife's orders.

VIP Member
    I leave a light bulb,(60 watt) in the cabinet.
    It helps but it isn't a cure-all.

Getting lazy and not getting downstairs to rub them down enough is the culprit.
    gasmitty likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member
    For a reusable dehumidifier, check out Portable Dehumidifiers | Eva-Dry

They are the same as the Browning and Stack-On models, just not rebranded so you aren't paying for a name.

I picked one up off Amazon for less than $18 and it works just fine, and is plenty big enough for just about any gun safe.

Amazon.com: Eva-dry Renewable E-333 Wireless Mini Dehumidifer: Health & Personal Care
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

The problem with dessicants is that you need to pay attention to them, and if left unmaintained, you have the equivalent of a wet sponge sitting in your safe.

In order to prevent moisture from condensing on anything in the safe, the internal volume only needs to be warmer than the rest of the local environment - even by one degree (but a few degrees is better). That's how the elegant and compact but pricey Goldenrods work, and as oneshot suggests, a low-wattage bulb will do fine. Best if your heat source is placed low in the safe.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The problem with dessicants is that you need to pay attention to them, and if left unmaintained, you have the equivalent of a wet sponge sitting in your safe.

In order to prevent moisture from condensing on anything in the safe, the internal volume only needs to be warmer than the rest of the local environment - even by one degree (but a few degrees is better). That's how the elegant and compact but pricey Goldenrods work, and as oneshot suggests, a low-wattage bulb will do fine. Best if your heat source is placed low in the safe.
    Yup, that would be the downside to them. I didn't want to run power into my safe, so anything that plugged in wasn't going to be an option for me. I only take mine out probably every three months or so, so it's not very high maintenance, but as you said, you do have to do it otherwise it just stops working.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Thanks for the info everyone.

[QUOTE=gasmitty;2701391]The problem with dessicants is that you need to pay attention to them, and if left unmaintained, you have the equivalent of a wet sponge sitting in your safe.

In order to prevent moisture from condensing on anything in the safe, the internal volume only needs to be warmer than the rest of the local environment - even by one degree (but a few degrees is better). That's how the elegant and compact but pricey Goldenrods work, and as oneshot suggests, a low-wattage bulb will do fine. Best if your heat source is placed low in the safe.[/QUOT

For this same reason I use rope lights taped in the lower corners of my safe. They do double duty by lighting up the interior also. One of my safes is air tight it was designed to keep floppy disks safe from smoke and fire. In that one I use bulk desiccants. I use old socks filled with the gel bead type of cat litter. With that type of safe keeping it from condensing would only worsen the moisture problem. air tight safes are not very common tho. DR

Sponsored Links