Looking for advice on pistol "feel" and weapon options

This is a discussion on Looking for advice on pistol "feel" and weapon options within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been having a problem lately on deciding on a conceal carry weapon and what I want from it. I have a Sig P229 which ...

Thread: Looking for advice on pistol "feel" and weapon options

Looking for advice on pistol "feel" and weapon options

I've been having a problem lately on deciding on a conceal carry weapon and what I want from it. I have a Sig P229 which I love, save for the grip. It's just too fat for my small hands, and it leaves me feeling like my grip and my trigger finger arent' comfortable. I've thought about the 239, which is around .3 inches thinner, but I haven't held one and don't know that I would want to lose so much capacity (12rds vs 7). I also own a Glock 22 gen 4 and I LOVE the grip on it. Very positive texture, I can get my grip "deep" and trigger finger where I like it, but not having carried before, I'm concerned that I'm not experienced enough to live with the only safety being an easily depressed lever on the trigger. I do like that the glock packs 15 rds and still keeps the grip width thin. ( I realize it's full size, I have considered getting the compact g23, and only losing 2rds) I like the DA/SA decocker system and I would much rather carry an all metal pistol. Is the grip issue on the sig something I should be really concerned with for a carry weapon? Ideally, i'd like the build of the sig with the width of the glock and not lose my capacity. So the question is, do you guys have experience with any pistols that would fit what I'm looking for? or should I try to get comfortable using a glock with less safety than i'm comfortable with, or using the sig that doesn't feel quite right? I apologize if the thread isn't quite the right one.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You can overcome just about any grip issue with practice. That being said, you can also start out with a handgun that "fits" you better. Especially now that practice is nigh impractical given the ammo availability.

Grip should be a concern if it causes inaccuracy to the point where you're missing your target or can't hit COM consistently. (I have a 229 extreme and I do not shoot it as well as my CZ 75D PCR.)

You may want to look at the E2 Sigs (enhanced ergonomics). I was handling one of those when I decided to go with the Extreme. Looking back on it, I would now go with the E2 version.

One thing to think about re capacity: If you can't shoot accurately, capacity may not be of much help. Get what you can shoot accurately.

Edit: Obviously, you might want to also check out the CZ 75D compact - which as the decocker, much like the Sig, with which apparently you are apparently comfortable.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I second looking at the newer Sigs with ergonomic grip. I don't think they call them the E2 versions any more, but I think you'll find that the standard 226 and 229 come with the enhanced grip. If your pistol doesn't have this grip then it's possible you may be able to retrofit it but you should check with your local gun store. Go to the range and have a go with that grip and see if you like it. Personally speaking, I think the double stack Sig pistols are just too wide (and heavy) for concealed carry but you might be fine with it. IMO, if your hand is anything at all smaller than medium then the ergonomic grip is still likely too small for you because the trigger is pretty far forward in the decocked position.

There's nothing wrong with the safety of the Glock so if you like everything about that gun but the safety then you should probably just adjust yourself and not the weapon. Your money would be better spent going on a good defensive pistol class, learning proper drawing and holstering techniques, and then practicing. Obviously, get a good holster with good retention too.

thanks for a quick reply PEF. the sig i have has the e2 grips, but still feels off. there are some g10 grips that are really thin that have a lot of texturing, but I dont want to drop 110 dollars on them to find out if I like them or if they help. I had a cz p06 that I liked a lot, but man, their triggers are waaay out there, so I ran into an issue there as well. I agree on the capacity being dependant on aim to a point, but id rather have more to sling than less, should I need it.

I had considered adjusting to the weapon nwbackpacker, and I may yet. the glock is a damn fine pistol and I lucked out and found an fde version, which I like. the funny thing with the sig is that it may be more than width for me. I got to look at an fnx 45 at the lgs and it felt good in the hand and I liked the trigger feel, but its. 08 inches wider.

Quote Originally Posted by floggindave View Post
    I had considered adjusting to the weapon nwbackpacker, and I may yet. the glock is a damn fine pistol and I lucked out and found an fde version, which I like. the funny thing with the sig is that it may be more than width for me. I got to look at an fnx 45 at the lgs and it felt good in the hand and I liked the trigger feel, but its. 08 inches wider.
    Ahh - the FNX - awesome guns. They make then in 9 and 40 as well I think and I have a friend with one. If I recall correctly they come with several backstraps of different "depths" so you can adjust the grip. It doesn't get any less wide, but the trigger reach issue is significantly reduced with a thinner backstrap.

BTW - check out this site. Excellent guide in my opinion.

Trying On a Handgun | Cornered Cat

hi, floggindave: i also have smallish hands (i'm 5'7, 155 pounds). i also have two Sig 229's, but both of mine have aluminum grips and the short trigger.

however, the E2, or Enhanced grips on the newer 229's is even better for those with small hands. so if i were you, i wouldn't bother trying after-market aluminum or G2 grips.

if you can hold the gun in your hand with your forearm aligned with the gun and your trigger finger reaches the center-line of the trigger face, then the gun technically fits you.

"feel", however, is another matter entirely. to me, a Glock 17/22 feels too large, but the mid-size 19/23 feel just right.

a beginning shooter really has little basis for determining what he or she might shoot best. the only valid test is to shoot many different guns, and see which ones you actually shoot well and which ones you don't.

i also own a Sig 239/9mm, and i shoot it a bit better than the 229's. whether this is because of the reduced grip size or the milder caliber, i don't know (the 229's are .357SIG/.40S&W). but i shoot the 229's well enough to be confident carrying them.

as for your concerns about carrying a Glock: if you carry it in a rigid holster that covers the trigger guard, and obey the four cardinal rules of gun-handling safety, the gun is safe. (and remember to keep your finger off the trigger when you re-holster). i installed the Glock NY-1 trigger spring and an OEM Glock 3.5 pound connector on my Glock 19, to give the trigger a bit more resistance throughout the entire trigger stroke.

I appreciate the link! when I get home i'll try my pistols out and see how I fare. I do like the fnx really well. Been considering selling off the sig to make room for the fnx.

Thanks for the input sensei. The trigger on my sig is the standard trigger and the e2 grips leave me with the side of the trigger hitting in front of the crease of my knuckle, leaving my finger at an angle with the trigger in DA. The Gen 4 glock has changable backstraps and I currently have the thinnest one with a beaver tail on the pistol. It is only 2mm thicker than without a backstrap at all and it's affecting width. The trigger seems to be set further back and it feels good all around. I've shot a number of firearms, so i'm not a "beginner" in the sense of shooting, but i have never carried before, so i am definitely a beginner at that. I appreciate your advice on the connector and trigger spring for the glock. I may try that and see if i am more comfortable with it.

floggindave, you are on the right track with deciding the purpose of the pistol first.

After that you can choose the option with respect to size, caliber and action type. How it feels is always a secondary consideration.

If feel was number 1, everybody would carry a SAA, 1911, BHP, or CZ-75.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Grip feel in the hand is also something extremely important to me, as is how easily the controls can be reached and manipulated. As with many folks, I much prefer the Browning Hi-Power's overall feel in the hand, and its grip angle. Highly ergonomic. The Kahr K9 comes close.

CZ P-01 and D Compact PCR are even closer, if a bit fat (for smaller hands); exceptional feel, though, and highly reliable with good capacity. All-metal frames, DA/SA.

The Kahr K9 or K40 might be a wonderful choice, in terms of ergonomics. Steel frame. It's a slim single-stack, lower capacity than your current pistols. But fantastic in the hand.

H&K P30 might be a highly ergonomic choice for you, available in 9mm. Polymer frame.

H&K P2000 might also be a choice. It's fairly ergonomic and has replaceable backstraps to adjust the fit. Not as "swoopy" ergonomically as the P30, but still pretty decent. Polymer frame, DA/SA. The P2000SK is its more-compact cousin.

Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro might be a good choice. It's fairly decently sized for smaller hands, fairly ergonomic, has an ambidextrous manual thumb safety and slide release. Available in 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP. Steel frame, DA/SA. Highly regarded by those who have them as extremely reliable.

Browning Hi-Power might well be an option to consider, as well. It's a SA, with manual thumb safety. Incredibly ergonomic, not too fat in the hand. A full-sized pistol, certainly, but reasonably easily concealable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

To give a totally biased opinion, whatever one chooses for carry should be a full sized fighting gun, and figure out how to make it work for you.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Links