Why are s&w SD so cheap?

Why are s&w SD so cheap?

This is a discussion on Why are s&w SD so cheap? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been saving for a firearm and I have have had my eyes on Ruger sr9c and an M&P9c. I was on S&W today ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Why are s&w SD so cheap?

Why are s&w SD so cheap?

I have been saving for a firearm and I have have had my eyes on Ruger sr9c and an M&P9c.

I was on S&W today and noticed the SD section. Why are they so cheap. the M&P9c MSRP is $560. Ive seen it local for $510. Why is the MSRP of a 9MM $379?

SD9 VE? & SD40 VE? - Smith & Wesson

How do they compare to the M&P line? All I can see is that their are made with slightly cheaper materials but still function well...

I have an SD40VE and am very happy with it. I put in a Apex Tactical spring kit to reduce the trigger pull from 8 lbs to 5+lbs. It still has a long pull, though. I have put about 500 rounds through it and it is getting pretty smooth and I am getting much better with it. (It is my first handgun). I will let others speak to what I am missing out on by having saved $200. I have a friend with lots of more expensive guns that thinks it is a very good value (decent quality at a low price).

The length and weight of the trigger pull and the blocky sights are suited for a home defense gun, which is what it is intended for. Makes it safer and easier to aim and shoot. Those attributes don't make it a great range gun. You can hit a 2' x 3' central body mass at 7 yards without much trouble, but an 8 inch target at 15 yards gets a little tougher.

Just my opinion. I think it is a great "entry-level" gun. Of course, I am already lusting after an M&P and/or a Glock so I can see what the $200 extra gets you.

I currently shoot an SD9, and have nothing bad to say about it. Have put about 500 rounds through it, of varying quality ammo, with zero problems. I would suggest the trigger pull mod that sandspur talks of. I have not done it yet, but I also do not have a problem with the current trigger pull. It should also come with 2 magazines, which is a nice touch.

Enjoy it if you get it

The SD series pistols arw not as fancy in any way as an M&P, but dont mistake that for a garbage gun. The first iterations were lousy , but the current versions are very good guns for the price. Drop in an apex trigger asnd you will be shooting with glocks all day long. If you have a chance and are interested grab on.... the gun plus trigger is still chdeaper than a new glock.
    God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

EDC an SW40VE stock no trigger mods. Absolutely reliable, cant ask for much more in a combat SD oriented pistol. Not fancy, but will for sure get the job done if you do your part.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

My brother has an SD9.He told me,he had run about 1500 rds,thru it.He said,the trigger pull,was a little long,but,it was ok,so far.I may mention the apex trigger that was mentioned above,to him.

They are cheap in order to get the " I don't want to spend allot on a gun " crowd. As far as reliability, craftsmanship goes, they look pretty good.

Distinguished Member
    They are designed to a price point. My brother-in-law bought one for home defense and loves it. I shot it and was pleasantly surprised at the decent trigger for a gun at that price point. I could not find any fault with the gun for its intended use. I gave him a rail light for it and now it sits in a safe on his night table. It will get the job done well so why pay more?
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

I had a sigma 40ve but sold it and got a glock 10mm. But then again not a thing wrong with the sigma. Was kinda stupid on my part selling it. I do miss it at times and it had a excellent grip..
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    I had a sigma 40ve but sold it and got a glock 10mm. But then again not a thing wrong with the sigma. Was kinda stupid on my part selling it. I do miss it at times and it had a excellent grip..
    what does "sigma" mean? there is no mention of sigma on the S&W site but I find it on youtube...

Sigma is the model, i just recently purchased the 40ve the only problem I have (and this might just be me) is the take down lever to take it apart and clean it is on both sides of the gun and you have to pull them straight down together to get it apart and mine is really tight. other than that is shoots as well as my 9mm and it is a great gun for the price.

Inexpensive does not necessarily mean cheap and expensive does not necessarily mean high quality.
    Diddle and Ghost1958 like this.

I think the big thing for me was Comfort! My m&p was very comfortable in my hand the sd series, not so much! It feels like the r&d goes into m&p, they keep the sd functioning well, but no great r&d! Just my opinion!

"Why are S&W SD so cheap?"

Frankly, it's because they are cheaply fabricated.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by skeetsak View Post
    what does "sigma" mean? there is no mention of sigma on the S&W site but I find it on youtube...
    It's the 18th letter of the Greek alphabet.
    bmcgilvray and atctimmy like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, dont give them a tomorrow."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links