Are we getting our monies worth?

This is a discussion on Are we getting our monies worth? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to a gun show in Ft. Pearce, Fl. A week or so ago. I happened across a Hi-Point 9 mm. Brand new for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Are we getting our monies worth?

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar

I went to a gun show in Ft. Pearce, Fl. A week or so ago. I happened across a Hi-Point 9 mm. Brand new for $135.00. I never thought about it before but it is a large, heavy, ugly gun. I ave a friend who bought one because it was cheap and he shoots it often at the range. So far it's been 100 per cent reliable. It got me to thinking, it must have about the same number of machined parts as every other semi- auto pistol. OK it's bigger, uglier and heavier than most other pistols of this type but aside from size, looks and feel, it still goes bang every time you pull the trigger. So why the big difference in price between a Hi-Point and every other make and model of semi. Surely a little fluff and buff, a few ounces of better metal and a touch of better machine work doesn't cost $500 bucks more for a Berretta or $800 bucks more for a Sig. If you get what you pay for, how much more can one expect from a say Kimber than to go bang every time you pull the trigger ? Just sayin!

I kinda have some of the same questions. I've been reading one of the Hi-point forums for a while, and they seem to be reliable guns. I've heard the .45 referred to as looking like a cordless drill. I'd like to find a 9mm for $135, though...

A decent 4" 357 for $135 for me. That way I'd be sure to always have a round chambered.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

I've never shot a Hi-Point.I went into a store this past week for some ammo.They had a 45 Hi-Point.My first thought was, you could conceal it,if maybe,you were the for real jolly green giant,lol.

You should be asking why does it even cost $135.

saa
    You can have those pieces of... wait. To each his own - I'm telling myself! LOL.

I do understand the economics, but I believe the guns I have and love are worth every penny. I'll leave my share of Hi-Points for the more budget minded shooters.

In my experience (just IMO), when you buy cheap products you get exactly what you pay for.
    saa.
    gregnsc likes this.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

A brand new 9mm for $135, eh?
    I'd buy the cordless drill for more dependability and a Glock for SD...but that's just me.

But that said, YOU are the one who has to be happy with the purchase. I'd do a lot of research before you buy.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by saa View Post
    You can have those pieces of... wait. To each his own - I'm telling myself! LOL.

I do understand the economics, but I believe the guns I have and love are worth every penny. I'll leave my share of Hi-Points for the more budget minded shooters.

In my experience (just IMO), when you buy cheap products you get exactly what you pay for.
    saa.
    Ever shot one?

When you're talking about machined parts, the two biggest factors are material and the level of precision required. The material and heat treatment thereof is a factor because the less processing is required, the lower the cost. The level of precision required during manufacture is the other factor because it directly affects the time spent in the machining process, the skill of the machinist involved, and the cost of the equipment required to maintain that level of precision.

I can see quite easily where you could make a cheap, low-precision firearm by substitution of more mass for proper material and heat treatment, and machining everything to looser tolerances on cheaper equipment. This would give you exactly what you are getting there.

I would like to see how one of these holds up over the longer term. It would be interesting to find out if the substitution of mass for good material will hold up after tens of thousands of rounds. I would expect something like this to be good at short, self-defense type distance, but to get a little wild as you open the distance up a bit. I would also expect to see the material show detrimental wear characteristics much earlier in it's life span than a more expensive piece.

An inexpensive gun like this could be the perfect solution for someone with a tight budget that wants a home defense gun in .45 caliber. I sure wouldn't want to try to carry one, though.

It's like anything else. If you want to make it lighter and more compact but keep it completely reliable, your going to have to pay for that.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

Distinguished Member
    I looked at a hi-point one time - picked it up at a gun show. The moment it was in my hand I knew I didn't like it + didn't ever want one. Reminded me alot of, say - getting a tool you can get at the dollar store - sure its a screwdriver but you can tell its no where near quality or anything you'd wanna actually work with (atleast that's me).

I feel I get my money worth from quality manufactures.
    saa and NONAME762 like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    Hi points are blow backs, which are less complicated than locking sa's. stamped not milled parts, die cast slide, etc., much lower cost in design and manufacture.

And Compare a sig sauer short reset trigger to a high point trigger. You feel the difference in cost!

I have nothing against hi point. They are just not for me, but if others enjoy them, good for them.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by cozwurth View Post
    I kinda have some of the same questions. I've been reading one of the Hi-point forums for a while, and they seem to be reliable guns. I've heard the .45 referred to as looking like a cordless drill. I'd like to find a 9mm for $135, though...
    Cordless drill? I can see the resemblance. Maybe you can use a cordless drill pouch or hanger for a holster? Just sayin'
    45ACP_polymer.jpg
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

VIP Member
    Live in a tent, drive a Yugo, buy a Hi Point, whatever...
    bigsky109 and saa like this.

I always seem to spend much more on ammo than I paid for the gun (no matter how expensive the gun was).

Bottom line, buy what makes you happy and you won't mind spending all that money feeding it. If that's a $135 gun, then just count yourself lucky and go shooting!

saa
    Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Ever shot one?
    I held one. Never wanted to shoot it. No offense. As I said, I understand economy, etc. Also there are people who like that minimalistic, metal stamp look and feel.

It was a piece of crap to me (JUST IMO!! Not putting that on anyone who likes them).

I will say that over time, financial gains at the sake of quality, function, and design usually don't last in the mind of the buyer. That's my experience.

True story: I bought a Llama .45 many years ago when I first started to shoot .45/.22 club. I was young and mostly broke, at least for gun money. It worked. It shot lead down the range, and I learned and worked hard. Wan't too long I bought my first Colt 1911 - a used Series 70 with a worked trigger and tuned and polished.

I never think back to how much I miss that Llama.

Lots of H-Point buyers today will look back the same way. It's a gun - that works. If you're happy with them, I'm happy for you. At the range, I always share my guns and ammo with anyone who asks. I'd be happy to shoot your Hi-Point and you can shoot anything I have along. Guns and shooting, to me, are about enjoying the sport, friends, competition, and teaching/learning.

Enjoy!!
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links