Pleasant surprise at local department store

This is a discussion on Pleasant surprise at local department store within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I walked into a local general store (it is called Fred Meyers, sort of like a Target, but a notch more up scale) looking for ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ExactlyMyPoint
  • 1 Post By Snub44
  • 1 Post By nontechguy

Thread: Pleasant surprise at local department store

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Pleasant surprise at local department store

I walked into a local general store (it is called Fred Meyers, sort of like a Target, but a notch more up scale) looking for a carabiner. I found one and then started looking around. What I discovered was gun cleaning supplies. Then I asked the clerk when they started carrying them. She said last June. Funny thing was, I checked last April (about a year ago) and there were none. Not only that, but they started stocking weapons. They had a small inventory of .22lr's, some shotguns and a bunch of decent pistols. Then another clerk, a lady in her late 20s/early 30s came up and we started talking. She open carries when she is at the park supervising her kids, open carries in the store when NOT on duty and conceal carries in the appendix position when appropriate. We had discussions about scaring other people away at the park, how open the store is to open carry in the store (some customers like it, some don't) etc, etc, etc. She has two ARs on order (Colt 6920s which according to her LGS should be in in September), carries XDs (ok, so she doesn't carry Glocks, I cut her some slack ), her husband is a Iraq war vet who unfortunately was injured by an IED and suffers a brain injury with personality issues now () We traded info about favorite gun stores, where to get ammo and I told her about the AR armorer's class I am working to set up. All in all, a great shopping day.
    tony1990 likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

...that story's like a breath of fresh air!!!
    nontechguy likes this.

I'll have to check out our local FM... thanks...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The Fred Myers I knew were more on the level of a K-Mart--back in the old days when K-Mart was the go-to place.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

IIRC, Fred's in Alaska carried long guns and ammo, and not too long ago - I think they still do. The drug store did also - can't remember if it was Walgreen's or Rite-AID... their hours were good and I often stopped by in the AM or late PM to pick up ammo.

Of course, some of the best deals were at the base BX/PX gun store.

Wally world used to carry handguns also.

And back in the day, just about every hardware store carried firearms and ammo. Appropriate - where else would you go to buy tools?

Maybe all that will come back.

Yes, the Fred Meyer's in Monroe,WA also carries all this stuff now to. They had everything but handguns, but last week when I went in to look at some fishing gear they had 2 display cases of new pistols! A bunch of kahr's, an xds and some 22lr 1911's from what I remember.

I can't wait to check out my local Fred Shed!!

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    And back in the day, just about every hardware store carried firearms and ammo. Appropriate - where else would you go to buy tools?
    And no background check BS, either. So long ago. (sigh)
    NH_Esau likes this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Links