Armslist is a blackmarket?

This is a discussion on Armslist is a blackmarket? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was listening to NPR and they made Armslist sound like the back alleys of a bad neighborhood. they said that since you don't need ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Armslist is a blackmarket?

I was listening to NPR and they made Armslist sound like the back alleys of a bad neighborhood.

they said that since you don't need a background check during private sale and can send guns UPS... anyone can buy a gun from anyone and across state lines

what do you guys think
    bigmacque likes this.

Quit listening to NPR.

VIP Member
    Just another example of the media pushing an agenda. They can't be bothered with minor inconveniences......like facts.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Just another example of the media pushing an agenda. They can't be bothered with minor inconveniences......like facts.
    please tell me how they are wrong. Im new to guns and certainly have never used armslist

I believe you cant just ship guns to people. You have to send them to a licensed FFL.

I have posted guns to sell and looked for guns on Armslist and nobody would sell without the person getting the gun transferred to their name, requiring a background check, ect.
    carracer, surefire7 and Taurahe like this.

saa
    Quote Originally Posted by skeetsak View Post
    please tell me how they are wrong. Im new to guns and certainly have never used armslist
    Go to the ATF website and read the FAQ's. They are explained in regular english and are easily understandable. Enjoy.
    saa.
    Nmuskier likes this.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

Must be shipped to an FFL and a background check and paperwork must be completed before the FFL transfers it to the buyer. (My understanding. not a lawyer)
    dbucciar, carracer and msgt/ret like this.

Yes, UPS ships firearms, but only from one ffl to another. No ffl, no gun. NPR is a bunch of douche wads.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Can you possibly buy a gun on Armslist and have it shipped, without doing a background check? Yes, but you are just as likely to be turned in by on honest gun dealer or private seller and get a visit by the AFT. For every dishonest dealer or seller, you are going to have 20-30 or more honest ones.

saa
    Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | ATF
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    Must be shipped to an FFL and a background check and paperwork must be completed before the FFL transfers it to the buyer. (My understanding. not a lawyer)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Yes, UPS ships firearms, but only from one ffl to another. No ffl, no gun. NPR is a bunch of douche wads.
    Both of these answers are dead wrong, guys. Sorry. There are conditions and rules for every situation of firearms sales, shipping, NICS, and transfer. If you're not an FFL, please don't steer this guy wrong.

OP, go to the ATF site and get good information, or visit a gun store and use an FFL. There is NO grace with the ATF for "didn't know" or "I was told."

saa.
    Phaedrus likes this.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

Quote Originally Posted by saa View Post

Both of these answers are dead wrong, guys. Sorry. There are conditions and rules for every situation of firearms sales, shipping, NICS, and transfer. If you're not an FFL, please don't steer this guy wrong.

OP, go to the ATF site and get good information, or visit a gun store and use an FFL. There is NO grace with the ATF for "didn't know" or "I was told."

saa.
    A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm

When a transaction takes place between private (unlicensed) persons who reside in the same State, the Gun Control Act (GCA) does not require any record keeping. A private person may sell a firearm to another private individual in his or her State of residence and, similarly, a private individual may buy a firearm from another private person who resides in the same State. It is not necessary under Federal law for a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) to assist in the sale or transfer when the buyer and seller are “same-State” residents. Of course, the transferor/seller may not knowingly transfer a firearm to someone who falls within any of the categories of prohibited persons contained in the GCA. See 18 U.S.C. §§ 922(g) and (n). However, as stated above, there are no GCA-required records to be completed by either party to the transfer.

There may be State or local laws or regulations that govern this type of transaction. Contact State Police units or the office of your State Attorney General for information on any such requirements.

Please note that if a private person wants to obtain a firearm from a private person who resides in another State, the firearm will have to be shipped to an FFL in the buyer’s State. The FFL will be responsible for record keeping. See also Question B3

BUT in theory a person could post a phone number or email address- then request paypal- then ship via UPS to an unknown person. It would be illegal as hell but it would physicaly be possible to do on armslist. it wouldn't work on craigslist bc guns cant be sold on craigslist (I think)

Quote Originally Posted by skeetsak View Post
    [B]

BUT in theory a person could post a phone number or email address- then request paypal- then ship via UPS to an unknown person. It would be illegal as hell but it would physicaly be possible to do on armslist. it wouldn't work on craigslist bc guns cant be sold on craigslist (I think)
    But in theory you can make all the laws you want, could even squash the 2A and outlaw guns. Criminals dont abide by the law and will get guns through the blackmarket which is hardly armslist, although you cant tell by what they are currently asking for ammo.

Recent events should make it clear that those intent on harming and terrorizing others will do so. You can't always stop evil before it hapens but you can be prepared for it when it does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by sebring View Post
    Quit listening to NPR.
    This guy gets it.
    Dnbailey likes this.

Sure, any bulletin board is going to be maligned by the gun-grabbers and liberty-haters as evil incarnate, merely because firearms can be advertised there. Armslist is simply one of the ones that stick out like a "sore" thumb. But blaming the bulletin board makes about as much sense as claiming background checks are going to stop folks from acquiring their weapons despite the fact they acquire them under the radar, off the grid, where checks don't exist. Armslist isn't a scourge, any more than NPR is the "gold standard" for righteous, unbiased, truthful reporting.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Arms list does bring a bad element to it since one can sell a weapon in there own state to someone that lives in the state no questions asked...

Not a place I would go to purchase a weapon.........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links