Why Can't You Ship Ammo Via USPS?

This is a discussion on Why Can't You Ship Ammo Via USPS? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just what the thread title says. Is it because a lot of US mail is carried on commercial flights?...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Why Can't You Ship Ammo Via USPS?

Just what the thread title says. Is it because a lot of US mail is carried on commercial flights?

It's just their rules, probably because USPS wants to minimize risk. They leave any remotely hazardous materials to the common carriers to schlep around.
    bigdogtx likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I believe ammo is considered to be an "explosive" by the USPS, so they won't ship it.

VIP Member
    Ammunition is on their restricted items list; my opinion is that it fits in the flammable category.

https://www.usps.com/send/can-you-mail-it.htm
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I am not sure really. My guess would be because it could be sent to other countries via international mail and not legal in those countries? I suppose it could be considered an explosive due to the powder.

Easiest way to ship ammo is via UPS or Fedex. These diamond labels replaced the old "ORM-D" markings, though you can still use the old ones if you like (until 2020). You just ship the package with one of those courier services and don't even have to write "Cartridges, Small Arms" on it anymore if you use the new labels. The diamond is all you need on one side of the package.

Oh that's all kind of what I thought. Could it also be part of the response to the ValuJet crash back in the 90s when the O2 canisters in the hold ignited and brought the plane down?

I've always just used UPS ground, never had an issue, I was just curious about USPS.

Same reason why you can't send firearms, booze and a whole list of other things...... Its a postal regulation is all......
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    Oh that's all kind of what I thought. Could it also be part of the response to the ValuJet crash back in the 90s when the O2 canisters in the hold ignited and brought the plane down?

I've always just used UPS ground, never had an issue, I was just curious about USPS.
    I know it goes back further than that. Not sure exactly how far, though.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Because the Federal Government runs it and that is what they want.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Distinguished Member
    The reason should be obvious. You do not ask a group of people known for going "Postal" to deliver your ammo. :) Right now on their salaries they cannot afford ammo and there has not been a report mass shooting at the Post Office for a while. Give them free ammo and then watch the bullets fly. :)

What I love is when I buy ammo online from a website that wants me to send them a copy of my picture ID and a signed form and then ships my ammo by a courier service that leaves it on my stoop for hours while I am away from home or interfaces with the USPS and leaves it in my mailbox for hours until I get home. Like manufacturers of guns with the safeties in the trigger, the real concern if with their own liability and not the safety of others. :)
    Old age has its advantages. I have not discovered them yet but I am told that they exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Same reason why you can't send firearms, booze and a whole list of other things...... Its a postal regulation is all......
    You can't ship booze?? OOPS...And I didn't even do that intentionally. The time two of my friends and I smuggled Listerene bottles full of vodka dyed green onto the cruise ship we went on for spring break in college, yea...that was intentional!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    Because the Federal Government runs it and that is what they want.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Wish my 1911 knew that in Nam. Must not have got the memo and I was the battalion shooting champion.
    Old age has its advantages. I have not discovered them yet but I am told that they exist.

Links