Has anyone noticed that A LOT of firearms companies are based in New England?

This is a discussion on Has anyone noticed that A LOT of firearms companies are based in New England? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Can anyone explain this? It seems like New England is being set up as a potential "seperate nation" with NY acting as a barrier. This ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Has anyone noticed that A LOT of firearms companies are based in New England?

Can anyone explain this? It seems like New England is being set up as a potential "seperate nation" with NY acting as a barrier. This is what my research shows and I just list the major companies, I realize that there are many more companies and ammo factories so if anyone has anymore please add them...

Colt - Hartford, CT
    S&W - Sprfingfield, MA
    Ruger - Southport, CT
    Sig Sauer - Exeter, NH
    Mossberg - North Haven, CT
    Remington - Ilion, NY
    Kahr (Desert Eagle) - Warchester, MA

These are the only ones that I know of that are not made in the Evil Empire:

Glock - Smyrna, GA
    HK - Columbus, GA
    FNH - McLean, VA

Yeah but nearly all of them began there long before the complexion of the regional political landscape changed and deteriorated. We're talkin' over a century and a half for three of those firms and over 60 years on a couple more.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Well it kind of started there and stayed but may be time to leave.

Colt is moving to Florida also kel tec and sccy are located down here

The Connecticut River valley (from Long Island Sound up to the Vermont-New Hampshire border) alone gave birth to a huge huge amount of manufacturing throughout the Industrial Revolution, with much continuing into the 20th century. It's frequently referred to as "Gun Valley" with lots of successful firearms companies and their spin-offs. Mossberg, Iver Johnson, Savage, Stevens, Harrington and Richardson, Winchester, High Standard, Parker, Spencer, Sharps, Charter Arms, Auto-Ordnance, and Seecamp have all made their home in that region at one time or another. Sad to see it diminish and be driven out.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

NE is not what it once was. There are two distinct regions, south and north, with south NE being like a foreign country in the eyes of north NE residents. Hard to believe NE was once a bastion of freedom.
    Spovik, myrkr, Poseidon and 3 others like this.

VIP Member
    Ruger already has a factory up and running in Prescott, AZ.
    varob likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by RockingGlock32 View Post
    The business about Colt is premature. The have a small R&D center in FL, but there are no firm plans to move there or anywhere else as yet.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Beretta - Accokeek, MD
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

"Set up"??????? Just b/c you just noticed something that's been in existence for 100 yrs doesn't make it a conspiracy. As stated, all those companies have been around before the "liberal" mania. ATK is in MO, Daniel Defense in GA, BCM in WI, Kel-Tec in FL, Barrett in TN, DPMS in MN, ... There, there's a list (incl Glock, etc) of more outside NE than your original 7.

I do realize that these companies have been there for 100+ years. I know its not a conspiracy but I knew that there had to be a reason that all these places were in the same areas... Gasmitty provided interesting info that I was previously unaware of. When I say "set up" I'm basically just referring to the unconstitutional laws and general geography of the region. I was just wondering if people could help add to the list that I started.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The business about Colt is premature. The have a small R&D center in FL, but there are no firm plans to move there or anywhere else as yet.
    That is exactly what Colt's press release said, but apparently, they haven't even done that.

Colt gun plant in Osceola hasn't produced any jobs more than year after deal with county - Orlando Sentinel
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by RockingGlock32 View Post
    Not Colt, maybe the others.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by SwordMaster View Post
    I do realize that these companies have been there for 100+ years. I know its not a conspiracy but I knew that there had to be a reason that all these places were in the same areas... Gasmitty provided interesting info that I was previously unaware of. When I say "set up" I'm basically just referring to the unconstitutional laws and general geography of the region. I was just wondering if people could help add to the list that I started.
    I'm a history buff and grew up in New England, so this is basic stuff to me. Recall that from colonial times, the northeast was home to industry whereas the south was given more to agriculture. Due to its earlier development (population-wise), the northeast had a head start over the south on the infrastructure which supported manufacturing. The population density was higher in the NE, which also favored industry vs. agriculture. The advent of lower-cost transportation of goods via railroad was an equalizing factor, but realistically it took nearly 100 years for that to fully develop and offset the northeast's early advantage.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links