Tell Us!

This is a discussion on Tell Us! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Would someone tell us what is the root of the ammo shortage? I've heard penty of opinions, but not the reason why or what's going ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Tell Us!

Exclamation Tell Us!

Would someone tell us what is the root of the ammo shortage? I've heard penty of opinions, but not the reason why or what's going on. I try to take friends, new shooters to the range to practice for their CCW "range" strings of fire, but it has brought me to a stand-still due to lack of 22 LR and 9mm availability at stores here (San Antonio, TX). I am told to camp by the store to await the delivery of ammo on set days,, but I have to ask, "What's going on?" I heard the government (since it can't ban certain firearms) is now drying out the ammo from the citizens. Without ammo, firearms are worthless. I heard that we should read chapter 21 of the UN Charter,, limiting and disarming America (especially). I heard also, that the US will bust due to hyperinflation (making money without having the gold to back it up) and will become caotic, experience food shortages ....just like the ammo shortage now. Can't even imagine what that would be like, particularly in major cities like here! Prepies,, are they on to something? Without a national firearms registration...is this another way the government will find what you type of firearm you have by means of back-tracking credit card ammo purchases "back to you?" Let US KNOW, TELL US!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    A basic understanding of supply and demand is really all you need to understand the 'root' of the shortage. There's no conspiracy and if enough people decided that they needed to buy up every pair of boots they saw, we'd have a boot shortage of similar proportions.

Welcome to the forum.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I am not sure of the exact cause, but around here I live, for an example at one large sporting goods store, people know when the truck is coming in with the ammo.They get to the store early and the line goes all the way back out the front door. This stuff is gone before it even hits the shelves, they buy it right off the truck. Panic buying, maybe. Ammo companies deliberately holding back to inflate the prices, maybe, they are making the stuff to make money.The DHS is buying a bunch, creating part of the problem.My best guess is that it is a combinatiopn of all of these and more, the perfect storm kind of thing.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Moving to General topics.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Moving to General Firearm Discussion.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Greed.
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    In short and in my opinion, the fear of something being banned makes people think that they need it... Same reason guns are hard to find right now. Simple supply vs demand.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

According to VP Joe it's the Black Helicopter crowd , all you need is a Double Barrel shotgun anyway .

Seriously it's more demand than supply, hoarding, and a big dose of GREED ! The ammo manufactures are going full speed ! It was a huge run after Sandy Hook and the threat of all the bans by Barry and his Friends . People freaked out and purchased obscene amounts of ammo .
    AZJD1968 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TRUEAIM View Post
    Would someone tell us what is the root of the ammo shortage? Let US KNOW, TELL US!
    Number 44...

`

Probably a number of things

1. The Gesta--I mean DHS--did buy a whole bunch. One point six billion hollow-point rounds, if I remember correctly. That's a lot of ammunition that's off the market.
    2. With the gun/"assault weapon" bans being tossed around, citizens are realizing that they're not as well-armed as they would want to be in such a ban--thus they buy more.
    2a. (<--no pun intended) As a corollory, temporary shortages develop and prices rise. Those who weren't panic-buying because of legislation realized that they may not be able to get affordable ammunition in the near future, so they buy more too.
    3. It is entirely possible that the government is buying all the ammunition off the market. It's not likely, but possible. Anyone remember Animal Farm, where Napoleon was taking some of the food to feed his dog army out of sight, only to release it upon his subjects at the right moment? Again, not the most likely cause, but one I wouldn't dismiss out of hand.
    You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. --Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. --Albert Einstein
    You taught us to imagine, and we imagined your irrelevance! --Dalek Caan

My question is.....will there be a glut of ammo if/when the panic buying stops?
    Concealed means hidden from ordinary observation so as to prevent disclosure or recognition. A deadly weapon is concealed when it is carried on or about the person in such a manner that another person in the ordinary course of events would not be placed on notice that the weapon was being carried.

The simply answers is the idiots of the firearms world created it by panic buying for fear of ammunition being banned or background checked on buy it. There was no real impact on ammunition from what the government/law enforcement was/is purchasing. They idiots have now created a monster since the ammunition manufacturers are saying it will take 1-2 years to catch up.........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

It also doesn't help when you've got people doing everything to get around purchase limits at stores to buy as much of the ammo that is still priced well like at wal-mart, then flipping it on gunbroker for profit.

The problem is Nov 6 2012 Obama. A whole lot of people woke up and figured out when he said he would not take your guns, he meant to say he was coming for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    The simply answers is the idiots of the firearms world created it by panic buying for fear of ammunition being banned or background checked on buy it. There was no real impact on ammunition from what the government/law enforcement was/is purchasing. They idiots have now created a monster since the ammunition manufacturers are saying it will take 1-2 years to catch up.........
    I don't see them as idiots but only as people caught flat-footed without ammunition, having only recently acquired the sudden realization that it was extremely important in their minds to have an ammunition supply laid in for a rainy day. This is that rainy day. So we see threads such as this one springing up on firearms forums. Many times they are bemoaning the naked greed they feel they are witnessing, all while they exhibit an equal measure of naked envy over what someone else either has had the foresight to lay up or the perseverance to hunt around for the ammunition and pay the high prices in order to acquire.
    GetSmith likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links