Shooting the Governor.

Shooting the Governor.

This is a discussion on Shooting the Governor. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; No not Gov. Bobby Jindal, no not at all, I think he's a great guy. Now the Governor on Walking Dead that's another story, but ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Smitty901
  • 1 Post By elmacgyver0

Thread: Shooting the Governor.

VIP Member

Shooting the Governor.

No not Gov. Bobby Jindal, no not at all, I think he's a great guy. Now the Governor on Walking Dead that's another story, but this isn't about him either.

Of course, I'm talking about S&W's Governor (Taurus makes the Judge). I've always been very luke-warm about big pistols shooting .410 shells. I don't have one, never been serious about them either, and frankly I doubt I'd ever buy one.

However, I did get the chance to shoot one a few times yesterday and I'd have to say I'm fairly impressed. Certainly S&W makes good revolvers and the Governor is no exception. For a big gun, it feels good in your hand and seems pretty natural to aim. Some may say it's a bit overwhelming for small hands. My wife has shot a .460, I'm sure she could handle this gun as well. We did some informal shooting "tests" yesterday and shot it with #8 birdshot and a few self defense shells (a mix of flat discs and BB's).

It really spreads the #8 shot out quickly, I'm only estimating here but at 30 feet the shot pattern may be 3-4 feet wide, and moving closer to the target it's still surprisingly wide. The star of the show was the self defense shells, they don't spread nearly as much and if on the receiving end, would easily ruin your day under 30 feet.

I was impressed.

Recoil not bad at all, the self defense shells were a bit more.

I'd say it would be a good niche gun, especially if you lived rural and didn't have many guns to choose from. Snake in the yard/varmint in the yard, grab the Governor, it would do the job. Varmint dispatched, reload it with the self defense loads for the house/car.

It's really too big to CC very well, but pretty easy to be discreet with when answering the door, or going outside.

Like I said, I am impressed, but likely won't buy one.....I have ample guns. I'd say it has a limited market, and some might like it just because it's "intimidating" somehow, having a revolver that shoots .410's. You bet, there are better guns out there, but I can't say this one is totally useless either, it just depends on your needs. Living where I do (rural), and if I didn't have any guns (HA!), I could buy this one and easily go from buckshot to birdshot in a few seconds and be able to do it with a gun that's relatively small and quick to handle. It's actually pretty versatile.......home, yard, vehicle.

I might do some more formal tests on penetration, pattern, etc.

An interesting afternoon.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I agree that these .410 revolvers are more of a "working the farm or hiking" niche firearm, although I don't know why anyone insists on drawing a gun and shooting a snake when it's a whole lot faster and easier to step (or leap for some) back a few feet. A friend carried a T/C Contender with the .45/.410 barrel when we went hunting, and it admitttedly was handy in putting grouse in the camp stewpot on a regular basis.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    although I don't know why anyone insists on drawing a gun and shooting a snake when it's a whole lot faster and easier to step (or leap for some) back a few feet.
    Well that would be me. We live very close to a private lake, and I sometimes find water moccasin's cruising through our yard !!! I don't like that at all, and don't want them hanging around here for any reason. Grandkids playing, elderly FIL outside, wife working in flowerbed, granted, I usually let all snakes move on unmolested. Poisonous one's around my house are not welcome.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

...you have no idea how many keyboards you just ruined in Texas when we spilled our coffee reaching for our shootin' irons...we love our Guvnah here!!!(well, most of us, anyways, as evidenced by the last election!!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    No not Gov. Bobby Jindal, no not at all, I think he's a great guy. Now the Governor on Walking Dead that's another story, but this isn't about him either.

Of course, I'm talking about S&W's Governor (Taurus makes the Judge). I've always been very luke-warm about big pistols shooting .410 shells. I don't have one, never been serious about them either, and frankly I doubt I'd ever buy one.

However, I did get the chance to shoot one a few times yesterday and I'd have to say I'm fairly impressed. Certainly S&W makes good revolvers and the Governor is no exception. For a big gun, it feels good in your hand and seems pretty natural to aim. Some may say it's a bit overwhelming for small hands. My wife has shot a .460, I'm sure she could handle this gun as well. We did some informal shooting "tests" yesterday and shot it with #8 birdshot and a few self defense shells (a mix of flat discs and BB's).

It really spreads the #8 shot out quickly, I'm only estimating here but at 30 feet the shot pattern may be 3-4 feet wide, and moving closer to the target it's still surprisingly wide. The star of the show was the self defense shells, they don't spread nearly as much and if on the receiving end, would easily ruin your day under 30 feet.

I was impressed.

I'd say it would be a good niche gun, especially if you lived rural and didn't have many guns to choose from. Snake in the yard/varmint in the yard, grab the Governor, it would do the job. Varmint dispatched, reload it with the self defense loads for the house/car.

It's really too big to CC very well, but pretty easy to be discreet with when answering the door, or going outside.

Like I said, I am impressed, but likely won't buy one.....I have ample guns. I'd say it has a limited market, and some might like it just because it's "intimidating" somehow, having a revolver that shoots .410's. You bet, there are better guns out there, but I can't say this one is totally useless either, it just depends on your needs. Living where I do (rural), and if I didn't have any guns (HA!), I could buy this one and easily go from buckshot to birdshot in a few seconds and be able to do it with a gun that's relatively small and quick to handle. It's actually pretty versatile.......home, yard, vehicle.

The 410/45Colt has been around awhile in came and went and came back.
    It is a novelty gun. Nothing more.
    Nmuskier likes this.

...is that barrel rifled? I recently let go of an Ithica pump because it had a rifled barrel and the rifling made donuts with buckshot or shot, spread way too fast...

I was impressed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...is that barrel rifled? I recently let go of an Ithica pump because it had a rifled barrel and the rifling made donuts with buckshot or shot, spread way too fast...
    It has a short barrel and it does have rifling. The shot do spread out fast, the home defense round was dead on a liter Coke bottle at 30 feet.

...the flat discs interest me..."some folks" used to load the 12 ga with dimes...it was kinda like a flying lawn mower...

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...the flat discs interest me..."some folks" used to load the 12 ga with dimes...it was kinda like a flying lawn mower...
    That kind of gives a whole new meaning to "Keep the change!"
    Taurahe likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Well that would be me. We live very close to a private lake, and I sometimes find water moccasin's cruising through our yard !!! I don't like that at all, and don't want them hanging around here for any reason. Grandkids playing, elderly FIL outside, wife working in flowerbed, granted, I usually let all snakes move on unmolested. Poisonous one's around my house are not welcome.
    You kill one and all its relatives will come to the funeral. Like people, sometimes they don't know when it's time to go home.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links