Suppressing My M&P, Walk Me Through The Process

This is a discussion on Suppressing My M&P, Walk Me Through The Process within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today I had the opportunity to fire an FNX 45 with a suppressor, cool doesn't even come close to doing it justice! That makes me ...

Thread: Suppressing My M&P, Walk Me Through The Process

Suppressing My M&P, Walk Me Through The Process

Today I had the opportunity to fire an FNX 45 with a suppressor, cool doesn't even come close to doing it justice! That makes me curious, what exactly is involved with (legally) suppressing my M&P40/9 full size? Obviously, I know it starts with a threaded barrel, can someone who knows please give me an overview of the steps and approximate cost involved with getting into this? By the way, here is me holding the FN and yes, I asked the owner's permission to post the pic publicly, he said it was fine.

image (3).jpg

2. Remove Ads

Fill out the form for the ATF, submit it with your $200, get it back, buy a supressor. Buy the barrel at any time during this process. And Silencerco is the best out there. Go with one of those.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

I made the purchase of a suppressor for a Glock-19.
    I bought the threaded barrel...
    I filled out the paperwork for the suppressor...
    Had to have an interview and background check with the FL State Attorney...
    He approved me...
    Sent the app, fingerprints, and State Attorney's approval and a check for $200 to the BATFE...
    Waited for a little over 8 months...
    Went and picked up the suppressor being stored at my LGS...

Good luck with the process...the waiting is the tough part.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Fixed your pic..... 71.jpg
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Just a side note on the Silencerco Osprey, The owner of the company basically said if you buy the .45 model, it will work across calibers with very little difference in sound levels (ie, you can shoot .40, 9mm, .357 sig through it). However, if you are only after the 9mm caliber, their can for that is shorter by an inch or two.

You just need to buy different adapters for the barrel threads as 9mm/.357 sig is 1/2-28, and .40/.45 is 9/16-24

OK, that was kind of what I thought was involved. So reasonably estimating cost at $1500 or so all total? Step one I think would be the barrel, I know S&w made a threaded .45 barrel for the M&P, are there ones for the 9mm or .40? My gun was made as a .40 then I bought the 9mm barrel from Midway (factory original). If not factory, any suggestions on a third party maker? I looked at Storm Lake, but they are really expensive, any cheaper options?

I have lone wolf barrels for my glock. $1500 seems right, if a bit high. Ospreys run about $8-900, plus a $200 stamp, and a barrel. Mine cost $125 a piece.

You might want to do the paper work first, . Make sure your CLEO will sign off on it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I made the purchase of a suppressor for a Glock-19.
    Had to have an interview and background check with the FL State Attorney...
    State Attorney? The form 4 only requires the chief of your local law enforcement signature.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    You might want to do the paper work first, . Make sure your CLEO will sign off on it.
    The Form 4 does not require CLEO "approval," just his/her confirmation that your possession is legal.

"I certify that I am the chief law enforcement officer of the organization named below having jurisdiction in the area of residence of ____________. I have no information indicating that the transferee will use the firearm or device described on this application for other than lawful purposes. I have no information that the receipt or possession of the firearm or device described in item 4 would be place the transferee in violation of State or local law."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The Form 4 does not require CLEO "approval," just his/her confirmation that your possession is legal.

"I certify that I am the chief law enforcement officer of the organization named below having jurisdiction in the area of residence of ____________. I have no information indicating that the transferee will use the firearm or device described on this application for other than lawful purposes. I have no information that the receipt or possession of the firearm or device described in item 4 would be place the transferee in violation of State or local law."
    If he won't sign it, you won't get it = His approval is required.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    I live in the city of Dallas, Dallas PD are my full service LE agency, Dallas County SO technically have jurisdiction in the whole county also, but they don't patrol where I live, they run the jails/court security and patrol unincorporated areas like I 30 and I 35 headed east and west of downtown. I'm assuming I'd need approval from DPD's chief? If anyone else is in Dallas please chime in.

On another note, I called S&W CS about the barrel, they don't make a threaded one for .40 but do for 9mm, it's backordered indefinitely and sells for $134.99. This compares to $91.99 for a standard 9mm barrel. I didn't order one. I find this rather odd/amusing, Midway USA sells factory new 9mm barrels for like $68 and .40 for $79, how can they undercut the OEM?? Right now, I think I'll be looking at Storm Lake, not sure if I want to go 9mm or .40, I'm leaning towards .40 though.

I have a storm lake barrel on my 9mm M&P, and they are very nice. I know its expensive, but the fit and finish on it was excellent. In Alaska it is very common to get suppressors, and the LEO who signs off on them in my Borough is so used to it that unless he has a specific reason not to they just sign off on it. I don't have a suppressor for mine yet, and my concern would be finding tall enough sites to clear the suppressor. Have you looked into that at all yet?

There is a way around that actually. You can set up a trust and have the suppressor registered under it. You can use Quicken Willmaker or have a lawyer do it for you but if you register it to a trust then you do not need a signature from a chief law enforcement officer. Try this:http://www.silencershop.com/support/...buy-a-silencer

1. find an ffl. 2 mail me your M&P 3. dont hear it while I shoot it until my hands bleed.... a suppressed M&P is that easy.....
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Links