Help Me Make Up My Mind

Help Me Make Up My Mind

This is a discussion on Help Me Make Up My Mind within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Supposing I have enough money to do only one of the following, which would you recommend? 1. Buy a Rossi 92, lever action, stainless steel, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Help Me Make Up My Mind

Help Me Make Up My Mind

Supposing I have enough money to do only one of the following, which would you recommend?

1. Buy a Rossi 92, lever action, stainless steel, .357 mag (with a plan to get a .357 revolver later so I have a rifle/revolver combo)

I would use this for deer hunting

2. Buy a Ruger SR22 and some ammo

I would use this for cheaper training

3. Buy a Rossi .410 single shot, Marlin .22lr bolt a action, and plenty of ammo for both

I would use this for plinking/small game hunting
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Which do you want most? Get it.
    Badey likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

If you don't have a .22 pistol yet, I highly recommend the SR22. My brother got it as his first pistol and he really likes it. I've shot a good few mags through it and it makes some tight groups too. All in all it's a pretty sweet .22.

I think everyone ought to have a 22LR pistol and/or rifle. I love my Ruger Mark III 22/45 target pistol and the 10/22 rifle especially.
    Brad426 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianSteel View Post
    If you don't have a .22 pistol yet, I highly recommend the SR22. My brother got it as his first pistol and he really likes it. I've shot a good few mags through it and it makes some tight groups too. All in all it's a pretty sweet .22.

I think everyone ought to have a 22LR pistol and/or rifle. I love my Ruger Mark III 22/45 target pistol and the 10/22 rifle especially.
    This.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    2. Buy a Ruger SR22 and some ammo

I would use this for cheaper training
    Good luck with that. IF you were able to find 22 ammo, you'd likely pay more for it than you would 40 cal.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Choice 3 I am not feeling. If you dont have a deer rifle, then choice 1. If you do have a deer rifle, then choice 3
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I agree with the old vet. I'd get the one that I want the most. I've made sacrifices and choices to save a few dollars here and there and in every instance I've wished I would have gotten what I really wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Supposing I have enough money to do only one of the following, which would you recommend?...

...I would use this for deer hunting
    ...I would use this for cheaper training
    ...I would use this for plinking/small game hunting
    Depends on whether you most want to:
    1. Go deer hunting,
    2. Go cheap training, or
    3. Go plinking/small game hunting.
    Alex_C and Badey like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Depends on whether you most want to:
    1. Go deer hunting,
    2. Go cheap training, or
    3. Go plinking/small game hunting.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

Sorry, it is you that has to decide which to choose...... What I like might not be right for you....... Go with your "gut feeling"..........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

My brother bought a 357 lever action last year and loves it.
    Been finding 22 ammo around for about twice what it was this time last year. Even at these prices its sill the best bang for the buck.

I would buy the 22 and have fun till I needed something else later this year when prices will likely be lower and more choices might be available. Barring some sort of unforseen issue: I would not expect that prices will be higher than they are now.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

Indeed as crazy as ammo prices have become 22LR is still the cheapest by far. It is hard to find, along with 9mm, but it's not too pricey in comparison. You're looking at about $0.18 to $0.30 a round for it, compared to double or triple that for other calibers in some cases.

I also say in a SHTF situation you'd have a good gun that takes common ammo that you can easily carry a lot of.

I know you didn't mention it OP, but do look into the Ruger 10/22 for a nice 22 rifle. It's great out of the box and there's countless things you can do to it with all the aftermarket parts. You can easily make it a big scary gun if you wanted to.

As much as I love shooting my Beretta, I've been shooting my 22 target pistol and rifle as of late. I'd go broke trying to shoot 9mm every weekend!

The Ruger SR22 for "cheaper training" than what? If you have a AR already, maybe a conversion kit for .22?

Or for option 3, try a 410/22 over/under to save some money.

Just my thoughts, not trying to make it more complicated.

Based on your multiple desires, you just need to pick the most-important tack to take.

Seems to me that the .357mag lever+revolver combination makes the most sense, as it'll cover light hunting and self-defense very nicely. There are some nice classic .357's in both lever-action and revolver, out there. Lots of good stuff to choose from.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

#3 is what i'd go with. #2 just doesn't seem like the better of the 3 deals. and #1, as a personal preference I am only a fan of marlin and Winchester lever guns, maybe henry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links