Ran into a hoarder/gouger today

This is a discussion on Ran into a hoarder/gouger today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm posting this simply to self-aggrandize and brag on my self-control, as well as to vent so that I can keep that self-control. On my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Ran into a hoarder/gouger today

Ran into a hoarder/gouger today

I'm posting this simply to self-aggrandize and brag on my self-control, as well as to vent so that I can keep that self-control.

On my way between sites about 7am, I had a couple minutes extra before when I was supposed to be at the next place and stopped by Wally world to go look at the shelves. I'm in a severe hunt for .22LR as I am just about to the point where we will stop target shooting. I started this madness with somewhere between 1500-2000 rounds, I think, and am down to ~350. All I want is to be able to shoot a box a week with kids, as well as take out the occasional varmint.

I get to the shelves, and a guy is there with his wife, smiling with both of his teeth. OK, he had more than 2, but if you scraped all the enamel it weren't more than two toofers worth. He's waiting for the clerk to show up. They've got the normal stuff you see most days - 12g target, some buck shot, and even a couple boxes of .40. They've also got 5 or 6 boxes of whitebox Olin/Winchester 5.56 left at about $12 for 20, I think, but I don't need any of that. He's maneuvering to make sure I don't edge him and his wife out of that stash. I'm not interested.

No 9 or .45, which I'm OK on, and definitely no .22LR. A bit of .300WM, but I'm fine on that for now. Oh well, it's what I expected.

He sees me looking at the empty .22LR shelf and says "Yeah, that stuff's gold right now. You know, I got about 5000 rounds of it right now." [I miss this hint].

Me: "You shoot a lot?" It's always fun to talk to other shooters, even if their budget lines for Mt Dew and Colgate don't match appropriately.

Him: "Nope. Maybe I'll start some time. Do you?" [hint, hint]

I start off by looking at him funny like he's ripe teats on a bull. Then the light turns on, and I go from quizzical to pissed as all getout, and don't hide it well.

I've calmed down a whole lot since I was wet behind the ears and these days, I'm a nonconfrontational type of guy, but I was pretty pissed and I can flip on the "verbal training emphasis" switch pretty easy if I need to. But, I bite down hard on my teeth and hold back the tirade, because this guy isn't going to learn anything from a lecture, and it's got a possibility of escalation. It was all I could do to tell myself Huyaboooouttt FACE! Hwwaaarward MARCH! and walk out of there, but that's what I did.

BTW, given the fact that both him and his wife were there at that time, it wouldn't surprise me if they added a family pack of Twinkies to that 5.56 and paid for it all with an EBT.

I hope he gets a real good stash built up before the online prices crash.

I'm done. Much better now.
    Cheesewiz, Broadus and CSL like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "...even if their budget lines for Mt Dew and Colgate don't match appropriately."

I hear you.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Esau, this may be cold comfort but once all the profiteers start selling it will trip a downward trend for prices. And for those guys trying to recoup their initial investment it will be like chasing a ball down a hill.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    It's like what they call in the stock investment world, "Catching a falling knife". There are those who believe that you should buy on the way down because there's always a bottom. That's true, but I may not want to be holding until it reaches bottom.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

10 boxes of .22 LR? I mean, that doesn't sound like much of a hoard to me...

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I believe some are price gouging.I know of a couple of places that hasn't tried to jack up the prices like some have..I can't afford to pay the high prices.I can't practice like i use to.So far as how others chooses to spend their money,is there business,not a concern of mine.
    sensei2 and sensei2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    10 boxes of .22 LR? I mean, that doesn't sound like much of a hoard to me...
    Try 100 boxes.

But even if you call what I call a "brick" a "box," it's all about context. Though I sometimes buy a couple boxes at a time on my way out somewhere, I normally buy (or used to buy) 500rd bricks all the time. That's about 10 weeks of shooting for me. Longer in the winter when we don't get out as much, shorter when we have lots of visitors, because it seems like even antigunner (or nongunner) friends and family always want to shoot when they visit.

Very obvious from what he was saying was that he's stocking and selling. Why else buy 5k of anything you don't shoot?
    Broadus likes this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Let me get this straight. The guy is buying up ammunition and he doesn't even shoot?

I am starting to wonder how many are doing this. Perhaps they think that the can sell it when the price goes up 10x after ammunition has been banned or something??? It looks to me like things are starting to recover as while prices are still high, I've at least been able to buy some stuff.

The government will eventually make him give half his ammo to someone that needs ammo, but has none.
    Sontag, NH_Esau, Taurahe and 5 others like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

the hoarders / gougers can do what they eventually they get burned. A close friend has been selling some of his ample personal stock to help make ends meet. a month ago he could have easliy got 60 cents a rnd for 9mm, in our area, he is lucky if he can get .45 cents right now. I dont see it as price gouging either. what he has sold has been far cheaper than any of the local speculators, LGS's included. His gold mine right now is he just ordered 5,555 rnds of .22 lr..... I hate my friends
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I admit I have 100 round of .38 FMJ right now and don't own a gun that can fire them. However, there is a significant chance that in the next month or so I will acquire a .38 or .357 revolver so I don't see that as hoarding, more like planning for my own future personal use. I wouldn't sell them to someone at a profit, that's not why I bought it.

At risk of sounding like an A hole, considering the obvious socio economic status of the individual you described, I wouldn't exactly give much credibility to any type of pseudo business venture he thinks is a good idea...
    Taurahe likes this.

cj
    I recall after the last round of price spikes where the guys at gunshows barely bothered to scratch the Wal-Mart price stickers off of their $90 boxes of WWB 9mm, these same guys had the same inventory for the same prices, even after ammunition was widely available again, wondering slack-jawed why the other tables were getting so much more attention than they were.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    At risk of sounding like an A hole, considering the obvious socio economic status of the individual you described, I wouldn't exactly give much credibility to any type of pseudo business venture he thinks is a good idea...
    I could care less about his business model, unless it involves me paying for it with my taxes. My concern is that I'm running out of ammo to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by coondogger View Post
    Esau, this may be cold comfort but once all the profiteers start selling it will trip a downward trend for prices. And for those guys trying to recoup their initial investment it will be like chasing a ball down a hill.
    This.

There are still a number of folks on Va Gun Trader that must think their stash is lined with gold.

They can eat it as far as I'm concerned.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard

Here's how I would have responded

Me: "You shoot a lot?"

Him: "Nope. Maybe I'll start some time. Do you?"

Me: You must really suck then, I bet you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

I very much dislike people that are like the guy you described.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links