S&W bragging

S&W bragging

This is a discussion on S&W bragging within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just spent an enjoyable weekend with our S&W sales rep ( he came down to hunt and brought a few toys from the lineup ...

Thread: S&W bragging

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

S&W bragging

I just spent an enjoyable weekend with our S&W sales rep ( he came down to hunt and brought a few toys from the lineup . After a suitable amount of arm twisting by him I did concede and agree to burn up a bit of Smiths ammo and a few of his pre made ( no I don't know where he got them ) tannerite targets .

I came away EXTREMELY impressed with the M & P auto line , In fact being handed the 9 , and the .40 blind I honestly could not tell which cal I was shooting ( the old hands here know I dislike .40 s&w as a rule ) and rumor has it next shot show will introduce the .45 acp M&P . The 1911's are about all a man could want in that design , universally shot well . Smiths AR 15 shortys are great , I especially liked the flat top with the full length tac rail , thou I could loose the rails on side and bottom and never miss them LOL .

IMHO sigmas are still junk , as is the walther p99 in .40 ( sorry to any who have the misfortune to have purchased same LOL ) The revolver lineup is about what you would expect from smith , great quality , fair action that could benefit from either being shot in more or a bit of gunsmithing , or both LOL .

Notable thou are the smith big bores , and the M&P .357 . I put a box of ammo thru both the .50 and the .460 revolvers .. Well folks recoil is best described as brisk, but at the same time pleasant . You dammed sure know something happened out front , and as soon as the " flash bulb " effect from the fireball goes away evidence is usually still hanging in air LOL . My pick of the two is the 460 honestly even thou it's recoil is sharper than the .50 to me . I had little trouble keeping it on roughly milk jug sized targets at 100 to 150 ( roughly ) yards . Its a flat shooting powerhouse .

The 50 is fun with 325 grn rounds , but out here on the plains the .460 just blows it out of the water when the ranges start extending in my opinion . Both are fun guns but not on my shopping list LOL .

The M&P is notable simply because they finally did it ... Some dammed fool hung a " porch light " off of a revolver LOL A little too " tacticool " for me but a fine shooting revolver none the less .

Anyway a good weekend , Possibly have him back next month depending on scedules LOL .. Without further adiew on to the pics , and one vid of a big bore lol .
    Attached Images
    Attached Files
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Sounds liek a lot of fun and see you guys thought i was nuts saying the 500 didn't kick that bad

vid no worky for me

Like i said bud the Recoil ( and muzzle blast ) is more noticable on the .460 than on the 500 , Neither is what i would call severe tho , imho a 4" mod 29 .44mag bites worse .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

i agree the blast is worse on the 460 espically with the 200 grain hornady stuff but recoil i always said 500 was worse than 460 but not much ..

Yep the 629 feels way worse than a 460/500 actually i think a 357 4 inch is one of the worst ones

I shot 4" mod 19s with super vel ammo enough years i guess nothing bothers me much anymore LOL . I do belive the 500 recoils more , but slower and smoother , you can kinda equate the diff as being similar to the .40 vs .45 compairison , the .45 recoils more , but the .40 is " sharper " or slappyer .

Assistant Administrator
    Cool vid Bob. I doubt actually that is any more or less than my 45-70 BFR when stoked up.! Thx for the write-up - one heck of a fun session!

Hey - I'm gonna open up your first post - that's one danged long single paragraph dude!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

LMAO tx chris , had folks here while posting , was trying to answer questions here , post , play with the grandkid ect.. all at once . You know how it gets to be lol

Assistant Administrator
    Yeah - excuses, excuses!

Enjoy the grand critter
    Chris - P95

Lead Moderator
    Nice. I always like the picts to go along with the story too. Sounds like a fun time all around.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator

Good Job Redneck

And shoot up lots of that S&W ammo. We paid for it.
    a .45 M&P - Thanks for posting the pics.
    Sounds like you had a great, fun and worthwhile session.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Thanks for sharing the fun day Red....I think the Walther P99's in .40 S&W are decent guns, the 9mm's are fantastic, albeit "underdog", guns.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

My primairy suggestion to smith ( which i am assured will be carryed to r&d on the wings of angles tomorrow morning ) was to use the m&p format with the interchangable backstraps as a basis for a single stack in all cals . At first the rep kind of got this " wild eyed " look and started backing up from me . Once i got him hobbled and hog tied i explained my reasoning to him.

CCW is more prevailiant now than it ever has been and will be more so under the softer policys against crime and terrorisim after thiese elections . Since pistol width is one of the " Key " components to easily carrying concealed a thinner pistol is naturaly going to sell ( especialy if so marketed ) . And finaly Glock users who want thinner , leaner pistols should really have an option other than kahr to spend money on . I dobut that one redneck from the wilds of Colorado can at all influince S&W in any way , but i did put my two cents in.

Sounds like WAY too much free fun.

A tac rail on a revolver? Oh my......

I'll have to look for the .45 at the SHOT show.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Assistant Administrator
    the 9mm's are fantastic, albeit "underdog", guns.
    My 99 is not sure how to take that LOL!!
    Chris - P95

Srfl , Opinionated Yep LOL howeaver i found the grip unnatural and recoil severe in .40 ( in all fairness i had just shot the m&p .40 which recoiled like a 9 ) . Also I hated the manual of arms for the pistol , the decocker is in an unnatural spot, requireing both hands that i belive would lead to holstering what amounts to a cocked , unlocked pistol under stress . Many may like them , If you like them and are used to the manual of arms ok , But after handeling one a bit in an informal situation I will never recomend the pistol . Personaly i would not trade a jennings .22 straight across for one. LOL

Links