Glock 19, now what?

Glock 19, now what?

This is a discussion on Glock 19, now what? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just picked up a glock 19 today! Also got some ammo with it! What are the best accessories for this handgun? I am also looking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Glock 19, now what?

Glock 19, now what?

Just picked up a glock 19 today! Also got some ammo with it! What are the best accessories for this handgun? I am also looking for a light for this gun! Suggestions?
    Thanks!

A good holster, belt, and some ammo. Everything else is gravy.
    Alex_C, wmhawth and blake716 like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    A good holster, belt, and some ammo. Everything else is gravy.
    Pretty much this. You don't need to bling out a Glock to make it good. It's inherently good. You could put Trijicons on it, maybe a grip sleeve, but I wouldn't go any further than that.

As for a light, I'd suggest a good hand-held light to use in your off-hand rather than a weapon-mounted light.
    wmhawth likes this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

The G19 is so good, IMO, you shouldn't need accessories for it. Though, if you find the manipulation of the slide stop/release extremely difficult, you might consider the extended release. Likewise, if you find the manipulation of the standard magazine release difficult, you might prefer the extended release. And with respect to sights, your eyes might work better with a slightly different sight picture. But other than those things, I wouldn't change a thing. Certainly don't change anything until you've got a couple thousand rounds down the pipe and a fair bit of comfort with how it's working for you. I think you'll likely find it's about as close to "on the money" as you're likely to get.

Enjoy the new G19.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Streamlight TLR-3 is a great choice for a G19. You can usually get one for $70 or so online.

Congrats, that's one of the best pistol platforms on the market. I carry one everyday. The only accessories I have for mine are meprolight night sights and a Comptac Minotaur MTAC holster. Not much else you need to be honest!

Check out NDZ performance on ebay! I highly recommend a Ghost Edge connector. I love the one in my 23C. Also if you have factory Glock sights knock them out and get quality sights. I went with XS Big Dot.

The next thing I liked with my 23C are the Talon Rubber Grips! I put some extra material along the slide for better press checks. Also there's some spots that the grip doesn't cover.

Then the Ghost Low Pro mag release is nice for short thumbs.

Also put a Stainless steel Lone Wolf RSA, chrome accessory kit, and a grip plug.

In God and Glock we Trust
    Attached Images

Like others have said, shoot it and shoot it a lot. Through shooting it you will find out what needs changed and what's fine as is. For me, there are only a couple of minor changes that need to be made to a Glock and they are all personal preference calls.

Sights, mag release, and smooth faced trigger.

I really like the Tango Down/Vickers mag release. It makes releasing the mag a lot easier than the standard release but not as likely to accidentally drop a mag with the factory "extended" release.

Sights are a totally and completely personal thing. Do some shooting and research to figure out what works for you.

I would avoid changing the internals of the pistol as much as possible. That being said, I like to swap the serrated trigger that comes factory on a lot of Glocks for the factory smooth faced one. If you do decide to mess around with the trigger pull try to stay with stock parts if possible.

As far as lights go, I am a Surefire guy all the way. Surefire X series are awesome lights but on the pricey side of things. Well worth it to me though. The X300 and X300U models are pretty much the gold standard for pistol mounted lights.

There really aren't a lot of "must have" accessories. Glocks are pretty great right out of the box for the most part. Shoot, figure out what does and doesn't work, and go from there.

Good luck!

Use a bedazzler on the handle, way better grip than stippling. Congrats on a great gun purchase.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Nice choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Takeem406 View Post
    Check out NDZ performance on ebay!
    Funny you mention them. I just placed an order with them for some Magpul MBUS's. They had my order to me in two days! Now that's a good business model!

now get a g23 21sf 26 27 17 22and more!
    Jdunn217 and Glock2201 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    Pretty much this. You don't need to bling out a Glock to make it good. It's inherently good. You could put Trijicons on it, maybe a grip sleeve, but I wouldn't go any further than that.

As for a light, I'd suggest a good hand-held light to use in your off-hand rather than a weapon-mounted light.
    Don't waste your money on anything but a belt, holster, mag pouches and 5-8 magazines. After that put your money toward shooting with it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gallardo.g23 View Post
    now get a g23 21sf 26 27 17 22and more!
    Gallardo.g23 beat me to it. The best accessory for a handgun is...more handguns.

I started out with a SW 686+. I now have about 20 revolvers. Maybe more. I don't count any more.

At least with Glocks you have a limited number of models from which to choose.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member
    The best accessory to get for a new gun or shooter is professional training. Without it you will end up with gadgets and accessories that you are not properly trained to use. Shooting good at the range does not equal being a good self defense shooter no more than being good at carving a turkey makes you a knife fighter. Do yourself a favor, perhaps save your life someday and take a training course or two. Most new shooters and gun owners do not know what they do not know. A training class will open your eyes and do you more good than anything you can buy for your Glock 19. Self defense is not just being able to shoot good groups or installing an extended slide release, new sights, laser or light. I saw many a man get shot by someone in home made sandals with a surplus WW 1 rifle. In the end, it is the shooter and not the weapon that matters. Tactics and skill trumps round capacity, lasers and anything else you can put on a gun, every time. I know some knife fighters who demonstrate in their classes how they can defeat a guy with a gun. Trouble does not always start far away. It often starts when that nice man asking directions pulls a knife or gun on you and demands your wallet or car.
    ScottM and ccw9mm like this.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links