mosin assistance

mosin assistance

This is a discussion on mosin assistance within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The weather is better and I'm not as busy as I've been. Planning to go to my spot in the woods and test out the ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By pgrass101
  • 2 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: mosin assistance

mosin assistance

The weather is better and I'm not as busy as I've been. Planning to go to my spot in the woods and test out the 6 or so firearms I bought over the winter.

Can any of you break down how to use the sight adjustments on a mosin for me. Duh I know how to move them lol. I mean I have no idea how to use their metric system/convert and what not.

Tips?

Senior Moderator
    A meter is 1.1 yards

Not quite 1 to 1 but close enough for the Open sights on a Mosin.

Now if you have one made before 1917 it's in arshin's and that's about 2 and a third feet
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Just keep tapping the front sight slightly. Mine was a guestimate. Zeroing was not as exact as an M4 or M16. After your shot group is tight, not how far you move the sights and use that as a reference for further adjustments.

I found zeroing at 100 yds was best.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Senior Moderator
    To add to suntzu, bring a rubber mallet, a hammer and a punch and you can move the front sight around, just tap lightly with everything but the rubber mallet.

I know a guy who used a crescent wrench and a wooden block to move his sight left or right.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

To add to pgrass...your zero is only good for the way you zeroed the rifle. If you zero it with the bayonet....recommended...then shoot with the bayonet all the time. If you zero without, then do not use the bayonet.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Regarding the bayonet: I'm not so certain that this business of Mosin Nagant rifles, with the bayonet fixed, or unfolded in the case of the M44, are more accurate than Mosin Nagants without. I've not had huge experience of shooting lots of different Mosin Nagants for group both with and without bayonets but my son's M44 is distinctly more accurate with it's bayonet folded despite this advice circulating on internet form. My own 91/30 also groups much better without the bayonet baggage attached.

Over a wider range of military rifles, I've shot the following off the bench rest for group over the years with appropriate bayonets mounted: Springfield M1884 "Trapdoor" .45-70, Springfield Model 1892 Krag Jorgensen, several Springfield Model 1903s and '03A3s, Model 1917 Enfield, several M1s including a scoped M1D, M1 Carbine, M1A, AR 15, a couple of No. 1 Mark III Enfields, No. 4 Mark I, recently a No. 4 Mark 2, Karabiner 98k Mauser, a Russian and a Yugoslavian SKS. To a rifle they grouped far more poorly with bayonet mounted than they did without. No ifs, ands, or buts. The weight of the mounted bayonet changes both point of impact on target and negatively influences group size. Despite the "conventional wisdom" going around the internet I simply don't believe that the Mosin Nagant is any different. There is no mechanical reason why it should be.
    pgrass101 and CaptSmith like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    My most beat up $59 91/30 with mismatched serial numbers required no sight adjustments straight out of the 20 rifle shipping crate with minimum cleaning and I shot a 8" MOA at 100 yds but dropped off considerably at 200 yds. If it would be necessary for me to use it if the SHTF I doubt i would be engaging targets beyond 100 yds.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Drift out the pins for the rear sight, slide it off to expose the 3/8" dovetail, and mount a scope.

My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Senior Moderator
    My 91/30 and M44 shoot worse with the bayonet, my Type 53 shoots the same but the point of impact changes.

The 91/30 and Type 53 are both better shooters than the M44, but the M44 has a bit of muzzle wear on it.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    My 91/30 and M44 shoot worse with the bayonet, my Type 53 shoots the same but the point of impact changes.

The 91/30 and Type 53 are both better shooters than the M44, but the M44 has a bit of muzzle wear on it.

Similar experience here. My hex-receiver 91/30 shoots about the same with or without the pig-sticker, but point of impact is different.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Sponsored Links