Pictures of your guns?

This is a discussion on Pictures of your guns? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have all my guns and serial numbers listed but do not have a picture if each gun. They are insured but was wondering should ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BigPony

Thread: Pictures of your guns?

Pictures of your guns?

I have all my guns and serial numbers listed but do not have a picture if each gun. They are insured but was wondering should I have a picture of each gun from different angles in case the insurance company ever question a lost?

Also, taking the pictures, do you think that there should be a card or something that identifies what the gun is? I know they can tell from the serial numbers but might question the condition of each gun.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like you got it covered, don't over think this stuff. I would hide that list every well.

I've done this. Should work nicely for documenting things for insurance. Particularly if you've got any notable examples, classics, fairly valuable ones, or ones with clear marks that can aid in recovery, I would want to have photos from various angles in addition to the basics logged.

Of course, it lays it all out there, for whomever acquires that list. Worth keeping well secured (ie, copy in the safe deposit box, copy in the safe encrypted on a "thumb" drive).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I wouldn't worry about pics provided that the serials are on record with you insurer. After all, the appearance of a gun can be changed very easily. Take a Kel Tec PF9 for example, mine is black with a blued slide. I could go on their website and buy a new "grip" (basically looks like the frame but isn't serialed, it covers the frame inside it) in one of 5 other colors. Hold two pics side by side and you would say they are different guns.

My sis in law is my insurance agent. She says pics are not necessary for insurance purposes. I provided her with my "list" and she attached it to my file.

VIP Member
    As long as you have a list with the serial numbers and a general description that will be proof enough of ownership.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    I covered all my bases. I had an inventory form made with several columns. One for date acuqired, cost, current worth, where obtained, barrel length, finish, caliber, make, where located and a few other things. Then a photo of the gun is placed in another column. New accquistions are added, values are upgraded annually and works well for me.

My insruance companies say photos are not required in the event of loss but to me, the photos show condition. All my guns are pristine and way better than avg so they are worth more.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    S/Ns are not necessary. They will pay, but having info such as S/N, when bought, place bought, and cost will make the claims easier. Trust me, I learned that fact the hard way.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    S/Ns are not necessary. They will pay, but having info such as S/N, when bought, place bought, and cost will make the claims easier. Trust me, I learned that fact the hard way.
    Having a S/N also aids in getting the firearm back in the event of recovery. A S/N will prove ownership as well.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I have a hard copy spreadsheet of make, model, and SN. I have digital photo close ups with enough resolution to read SN's. None of them are collectible (yet- the satin nickel CZ may be some day). No one but me has a list of what may or may not exist, or what might have sunk with the boat last summer.
    My pics are for proof of ownership where no paper trail might exist (grandpa's old rifle passed down 3 generations).

Wow, cant believe I have not done this must be getting absent minded thanks for the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Wow, cant believe I have not done this must be getting absent minded thanks for the thread.
    Absent minded, what? no way, now where was I?

Just don't keep the list with your guns.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Keep it on a thumbdrive and hide it somewhere.
    oldman45 likes this.

Links