I got .22LR!!!

This is a discussion on I got .22LR!!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Managed to pick up a few hundred at the LGS, then made a quick trip through Dick's this morning and picked up a can of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: I got .22LR!!!

I got .22LR!!!

Managed to pick up a few hundred at the LGS, then made a quick trip through Dick's this morning and picked up a can of 325 Federal hollowpoints in a round, sealed, nitrogen-packed can. Never saw that before (but before this madness, I rarely bought ammo at Dick's) and a bit more than I normally spend on plinking ammo at .06/rd, but I figure I'd try it out. They had a one can limit, which is fine with me. I'm set to shoot for a couple months or so. They had another maybe 10 cans lined up with no line at the counter. It's getting better.

2. Remove Ads

I sold off my .22 lr guns, all 3 of them but kept the ammo because I always seem to end up with a .22. I bought the 3 guns to provide me with cheap shooting fun but then the ammo prices started rising to a point that it was not so cheap to shoot a box of 500 rounds of 22 lr once a week anymore.
    Last edited by Old_Dog; April 29th, 2013 at 11:49 AM.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Managed to pick up a few hundred at the LGS, then made a quick trip through Dick's this morning and picked up a can of 325 Federal hollowpoints in a round, sealed, nitrogen-packed can. Never saw that before (but before this madness, I rarely bought ammo at Dick's) and a bit more than I normally spend on plinking ammo at .06/rd, but I figure I'd try it out. They had a one can limit, which is fine with me. I'm set to shoot for a couple months or so. They had another maybe 10 cans lined up with no line at the counter. It's getting better.
    What a sad world we live in when finding .22lr is this exciting.

Congrats.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    What a sad world we live in when finding .22lr is this exciting.

Congrats.
    So true. I never thought I'd see the day when price per round on .45 ACP is cheaper than .22LR.

'Just flat stupid.

Congrats, btw. I'm down to three bricks and still holding my breath.
    NONAME762 likes this.

If you are a Prepper I would reccomend you put this sealed w/o2 absorber with prep guns especially if you plan to put down a cache.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    If you are a Prepper I would reccomend you put this sealed w/o2 absorber with prep guns especially if you plan to put down a cache.
    I refuse to stop shooting to hoard, so I guess I'm not that dedicated a prepper. As ammo availability increases, though, I will be stocking more - whodathunk I'd shoot through 1500 rounds before I could start replacing it?

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Oh that is so wrong to gloat about finding .22lr ammo. LOL.

I was able to get three boxes of 100 Remington target at WalMart yesterday. They had receiived 1000 boxes, all gone by last night.

Great news! Our LGS sells .22LR ammo with gun purchases or range time only. When my brother got his SR22 (great gun btw), we got a 325 can as well. Unfortunately... a 10/22 rifle with 25 round mags is too fun to shoot... already through that can!

OP, what are you shooting it through?
    NH_Esau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianSteel View Post
    Mostly bolt-action rifles with kids. .22 conversions from time-to-time, but I prefer to shoot full-scale.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianSteel View Post
    Great news! Our LGS sells .22LR ammo with gun purchases or range time only. When my brother got his SR22 (great gun btw), we got a 325 can as well. Unfortunately... a 10/22 rifle with 25 round mags is too fun to shoot... already through that can!

Right :) I just posted another thread. Took 2 granddaughters out to the range to get their first trigger pulls this past weekend. More than 400 rounds downrange over the weekend. Bout half .22 and half .17. At that rate, I will be out of 22 by the end of fall.

Looking at a tricked out 10/22 tonight. Going to see if the girls can handle the larger rifle as it has a grip stock. In fact I don't think it has anything stock. Custom bull barrel, comp trigger, etc. Nice glass on top too. And if I get it, I bet the ammo usage doubles or triples. Man, back to gunbot.
    ItalianSteel likes this.

I've done a few things to my 10/22. The Volquartsen recoil buffer pin makes a nice difference too (and is real easy to install yourself). The rifle is great out of the box, but it still does beg for changes (like extended mag release, 'auto' bolt release, larger mag...).

A nice 4x scope is on the wishlist, the iron sights are still spot on at long distances... it's just the problem of focusing on them at that point.

I've had no problem finding 22. Just have to know the good ol places that not every joe and his grandma go to buy ammo (walmart). .357 on the other hand, I can't find any of that.

Glad you found some.

I refuse to stop shooting to hoard, so I guess I'm not that dedicated a prepper. As ammo availability increases, though, I will be stocking more - whodathunk I'd shoot through 1500 rounds before I could start replacing it?
    I hear you and still shoot most of what I buy as well. However, caching and/or stocking ammo is a little different than hoarding it.
    NH_Esau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    I hear you and still shoot most of what I buy as well. However, caching and/or stocking ammo is a little different than hoarding it.
    Actually I will have to disagree with you on that one. While the actual definition of the words are similar, the inference on use is completely different.

Caching or stocking infers that you are using or will use it soon. For example, around Christmas time we buy up flour and sugar when it goes on sale. This is caching and stocking as we will use it to bake cookies during the holiday season and want enough on hand to supply our needs without need for additional shopping.

Hoarding tends to refer to someone who is collecting something so they will have it when others won't, usually in an effort to resell or control the supply. Applied to the example above, hoarding flour and sugar would be buying every bit we could get our hands on in an effort to be the only ones with it so when others want to bake cookies, we could supply it at a profit. The hoarder never had any intentions of baking with it. I give you cheaper than dirt website as a prime example.
    NH_Esau likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links