Passing it on..

Passing it on..

This is a discussion on Passing it on.. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This past weekend we were blessed with wonderful weather here. Manageable breezes and temps warm and sunny. First weekend this year with everything just right...so ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By Wolfiesden

Thread: Passing it on..

Passing it on..

This past weekend we were blessed with wonderful weather here. Manageable breezes and temps warm and sunny. First weekend this year with everything just right...so to the range we went.

My 9yr old granddaughter and my 12yr old granddaughter took their first trigger pulls this weekend. I was satisfied that they were to the point where they were aware of the safety issues. We practiced with airsoft guns for the past week and I made them memorize the 4 basic rules (the 3 always rules from NRA and the one my dad taught me..always treat a gun like its loaded, even if you think its not). They had all them memorized and understood as well as practiced with the airsoft guns.

I was stunned to find the range almost completely deserted. I guess everyone figured with the nice weather, the range would be packed and stayed home. I went anyway. Completely empty 25yd range, couple folks on the 100yd and some hanging out in the parking lot by the clubhouse. We basically had the whole place to ourselves. Which was good as it let me work through the safety lessons without taking anyone else's range time.

So, here is their first pulls:
    12yr old

9yr old

They are using my 1963 Browning 22. It's first gun I pulled the trigger on when I was a kid. Like my father did for me, I saved the casing from their first round. Need to get some leather lacing and I will turn it into a necklace for them just as my dad did for me. Wore mine for months as a kid.

I also let them get some quality time with my new Savage 93.

Before:

After

I am pretty sure the smile says everything about how she felt :) They both had a blast. Between Saturday and Sunday we put more than 400 rounds down range (bout 200 each of .22 and .17).

And given they have never shot before, I think they did ok shooting at 25yd.

Need to work on holding, breathing and the other fine tuning factors but I was more focused on just getting them to hit paper anywhere and having fun doing it at first. I did little correcting as I didn't want them to feel like it was a school day. As long as safety was adhered to, I was ok.

Saturday evening, I took them over to the 100yd range. Both kept groups on paper (still using the 50' targets) and smaller than an orange. Not too shabby on their first day, especially with a bit of crosswind.

Got a line on a ruger 10/22 and will head over with the girls to see how it fits them (competition grip stock and bull barrel and other nice parts, not a stock 10/22 by any means). They are already making plans for shooting next weekend. I am guessing they are going to eat into my .22LR stockpile pretty quickly but both of them really like the bolt action .17 which completely surprises me. I had expected them to favor the smaller and lighter .22. Later I will let the older one get over on the longer ranges with a .308 and 30-06 and see how she does aiming at something a half mile downrange :)
    WHEC724, mprp, phreddy and 4 others like this.

Looks like all had a good time. Great family fun.

Thank you for teaching future generations proper gun handling skills and the enjoyment shooting brings.

Awesome stuff! Always good to see kids taught the respect and fun of firearms when they're young. 22LR is fun for the young and old alike!

Great! That is what this country needs--more kids learning how to handle firearms safely and learning to enjoy the shooting sports. When I was a kid, almost all boys learned how to shoot and many schools actually had ranges and rifle shooting programs! Now, the libtards have made it not "politically correct" to even discuss firearms safety or firearms around a school! The future safety of our freedom and the second amendment depends on getting the next generation of shooters and firearms enthusiasts started and groomed to take up the fight!

I took my 13 year old granddaughter to the range a couple of weeks ago and she loved it. Her sister, who is nine, wanted to go too, but the range rules don't allow anyone under 10. I'm looking for a range where I can take her to teach her too.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Pretty much says it all ...

purejoy2-serena.gif
    Attached Images
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    Looks like a good time was had
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Gotta love it! There's nothing like taking a kid or two out to watch them shoot, especially for the first time. Well done kids! That's some pretty good shootin' there.

Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Great! That is what this country needs--more kids learning how to handle firearms safely and learning to enjoy the shooting sports. When I was a kid, almost all boys learned how to shoot and many schools actually had ranges and rifle shooting programs! Now, the libtards have made it not "politically correct" to even discuss firearms safety or firearms around a school! The future safety of our freedom and the second amendment depends on getting the next generation of shooters and firearms enthusiasts started and groomed to take up the fight!

I took my 13 year old granddaughter to the range a couple of weeks ago and she loved it. Her sister, who is nine, wanted to go too, but the range rules don't allow anyone under 10. I'm looking for a range where I can take her to teach her too.
    Egg freaking zactly. They are taught to fear something they don't know anything about by people without a freaking clue. "Guns are scary". BS. People without a clue are scary. And its more scary when the clueless teach others to be clueless or get elected to office by more clueless people. And I bet they don't know what the frame or the muzzle or even what the chamber is on a gun. My 9yr old GD does. Frankly they have it totally f'ed up. School is EXACTLY the place to talk about firearm safety. If kids were taught about guns, there would be a hell of a lot fewer kids being shot by them. Hell, they teach about DRUGS in school. The teach about TOBACCO in school. Why not GUNS? All three are just as deadly.

Sorry smokers (I am not one)... Kids are 100x more likely to die of tobacco related illnesses than being killed by a gun in the US. Kids are 40x more likely to die from drugs or improper medication than guns. And they are 1500x more likely to die in an alcohol related car accident than from guns. The girl's mother and boyfriend both smoke heavily, yet she is afraid of guns. Sigh. I fear drunk drivers and cigarette more in these kids lives than the gun.

I can't do anything about the cigarette, but I can do something about the gun. I can teach them what and what not to do with them. I can teach them they are not to be feared, but to be respected. I can teach them they can kill but only when someone used it wrong or was forced to. A gun can take a life but it can also preserve one too. And I can't do that without putting one in their hand and letting them experience it. Letting them understand it. And I have no doubts that these kids (and others like them) will be better people knowing what they will know than the sheep following the clueless politically correct.

Some more range time tonight :)

Serena with my new custom Ruger 10/22

And guess what. Her younger sister ponied up and stepped up to the shooter plate. And had a blast. I got 3 shooters now! All she talked about was going back to the range tomorrow. Supposed to rain so we will see.

Now if we could just get their 14yr old big sister to crawl out of the chicken coop and try it. She's just too scared yet. Maybe now that the 6yr old did it, might prod big sis into going, at least once. She is a big sports nut (baseball, softball and volleyball) so I am having a hard time with her not wanting to at least try it.

Home made shootNsee pad (see DonnieD's thread).

I shot the upper two 5 round groups. Serena shot the lower 10 round group. And yea, I gotta get that .17's scope dialed up and left a few clicks.

Jesus this kid can shoot. Thats 10 rounds you can about cover with a quarter. Not quite, but damn close. Definitely a 50 cent piece will cover it. And this was her first go with this gun (as it was mine) :) Still gotta drop the scope by a click or two then it will be dead on.

Sponsored Links