Help me build an Arms Room

This is a discussion on Help me build an Arms Room within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey Guys, I am building a garage on my property in a few months. I work from home, so I'm putting my home office in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Help me build an Arms Room

Hey Guys,

I am building a garage on my property in a few months. I work from home, so I'm putting my home office in the garage as well. I thought I might add a arms room to the back of the office. Somewhere I could have some weapons openly displayed without fear of break-in. Maybe a work bench and a couch to chill out. Does anyone have anything like this? I'm looking for ideas on how to construct it, ways to display/arrange on the inside, and would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    A34
    69 Charger R/T SE A34 R6 w/white top/stripe owned since 1987
    69 Charger R/T SE A33 F3 Triple green stripe delete owned since 1982
    Looking for clean rust free 69 Charger or parts car
    God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families !
    DEO VINDICE

VIP Member
    Make it stout, if word gets out they will try to probe. Especially in a room that isn't typically occupied.
    Gain a 2A vote, take a fence-sitter shooting.

pour concrete walls on the back for it along with the foundation and put a huge steel door on it.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Senior Moderator
    I'd make it a hidden room in the garage...not too hard to do...and a novelty at that.
    The door could be a book shelf or a tool wall. It's what I'd do.
    Talk about safety, if the dirtbags can't find it...they can't steal from it.
    There are many ideas on the i-net
    gasmitty, WHEC724, OD* and 2 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'd make it a hidden room in the garage...not too hard to do...and a novelty at that.
    The door could be a book shelf or a tool wall. It's what I'd do.
    Talk about safety, if the dirtbags can't find it...they can't steal from it.
    There are many ideas on the i-net
    Great idea. I can't confirm or deny that I have some experience on that subject.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Gain a 2A vote, take a fence-sitter shooting.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Instead of an arms room, I would build a panic room/man cave where you would have all your firearms, survival gear, emergency food and water, beer, couch, and television. Do all the walls and foundation of the room in concrete, install a heavy duty steel door, ventilation or a/c, a phone line that can't be cut or is separate from the house, and place external surveillance cameras. That would be dope!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    in all honesty..openly displayed firearms is a bad idea...it only takes one thug to hear about it and they may try to get in. Instead build a spoecial room with secure walls, no windows, and good safe mounted to the floor with 3 ft lag bolts. If they can get that out of the ground they deserve to have your guns, and if you sleep through an air chisel, well...
    bigmacque, NONAME762 and Sister like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Senior Moderator
    Before we can help, you have to provide your GPS coordinates...

Poured concrete with a steel vault door is about the best approach, but is does complicate the planning and drives up the cost. Steel studs (not the cheesy type used for drywall) with wire mesh covered with normal wall materials has fewer logistical complications, but is probably not much cheaper.
    RETSUPT99 and NONAME762 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Another vote for a hidden, concrete-walled safe room, but also encased within what appears to be normal garage construction. You don't want it to look like Fort Knox.

"There's security in obscurity"
    ccw9mm and NONAME762 like this.

I agree with the idea of keeping your guns hidden. Your possessions should stay in your possessions. Hidden safe room/display room that is a concrete structure in a corner of the garage with a well hidden and reinforced door gets my vote.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Anyone else think of the movie Panic Room?
    NONAME762 likes this.

VIP Member
    I have pretty much the set up that you're describing in a small apartment in my barn. My wife and lived in this humble little place for 1 1/2 years while we built the house. As a man cave, reloading room, home office, etc it's fantastic. Sometimes I forget how good I've got it. The windows are small, by design, but they can be breached with some difficulty. The doors are hardened but they are just doors. I live way out in the sticks so getting to the barn before being detected would be a serious gamble for anybody. Nobody gets near the place without me. All that said, nothing but Marilyn Monroe posters are on display. The sight of a safe is a worry to me as it is. Sadly, I believe the days of a showcase are gone unless, as has been recommended, it's inside a vault room.

We had a case just a few years ago of the safe being enough to bring in the miscreants. It was not far from here. An old timer didn't think it odd that some young girl took a liking to his company. She showed up one night with 3 gangster buddies and they left the old guy dead in front of an unopened safe. Well first, that was stupid on his part. Next, my wife would object to the arrangement I'm pretty sure. But a visual of the safe was all she needed to line up her crew and try. A visual of a small arsenal is trouble just waiting IMO.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I have a stupid question for everyone that thinks the guns should be hidden and not displayed:

Do you hide all of your expensive electronics? Art? Expensive tools? What about that BMW or Mercedes? The Harley Davidsons?

I collect arms and had a dedicated room for it in NH and now am constructing one in each of my homes in TX. What is the point of collecting something that is hidden away?

Believe it or not burglars like to target other things besides guns. Some seem to treat guns as a special item whenin fact it is not. It is just another thing that will be stolen by someone that wants to steal something. I don't know many folks that lock up their jewlry when they leave their house.

Take precautions and build a very stout room along the guidlines other folks have said. Make sure you have a good alarm system that notifies LE.
    mr.stuart likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Not to be argumentative, but if the floors and walls are all reinforced concrete, of what material is the ceiling? I have not seen anybody discuss the ceiling. Is it more concrete, steel, studs and drywall, whatever? Just curious.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I have a stupid question for everyone that thinks the guns should be hidden and not displayed:

Do you hide all of your expensive electronics? Art? Expensive tools? What about that BMW or Mercedes? The Harley Davidsons?

I collect arms and had a dedicated room for it in NH and now am constructing one in each of my homes in TX. What is the point of collecting something that is hidden away?

Believe it or not burglars like to target other things besides guns. Some seem to treat guns as a special item whenin fact it is not. It is just another thing that will be stolen by someone that wants to steal something. I don't know many folks that lock up their jewlry when they leave their house.

Take precautions and build a very stout room along the guidlines other folks have said. Make sure you have a good alarm system that notifies LE.
    Heck, my wife has half of my safe crammed full of jewelry and silverware. Frankly, I need another safe either to give her her own or to have guns in separate locations. Thieves can have my electronics - an old 37" tube type TV and a digital tuner. I hardly ever watch it and would, frankly, love it if somebody else carted that heavy thing out of my basement.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links