paint the tip of a real gun orange ?

This is a discussion on paint the tip of a real gun orange ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; is it legal to paint the tip of a real gun orange, like an air soft ? this was brought up in conversation the other ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: paint the tip of a real gun orange ?

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar

paint the tip of a real gun orange ?

is it legal to paint the tip of a real gun orange, like an air soft ? this was brought up in conversation the other day when a few friends and i were sitting around shooting the bull.

i have no intention of painting the tip of my guns orange nor do i have a reason too, just wondering for the sake of academics. is there a law specifically in place that disallows this? in other words, are there any laws anywhere in the US that says that real guns must look like real guns?

i assume not seeing that there are more and more brightly colored guns being sold, pink, blue, green...ect but i wanted to know if it was illegal to paint a real gun in this manner for the express purpose of misleading others into thinking it was a toy.

2. Remove Ads

Funny that you mention this, I was just thinking the same thing while looking at air soft guns (to use for holster/draw practicing). I suppose you could fool some people at first glance (civilians) but I don't know about further than that. I can tell you that a cop is going to handle that gun as lethal (if pointed at him) even if it does have the orange marker.

Is it legal to paint the tip of a toy gun black?

Or...

...to what extent can we really expect red/orange plastic, or the regulation that requires it on toys, to be a substitute for societal responsibilities of a nation or to protect the law-abiding citizen instead of an effective justice system?
    bigmacque, wmhawth and pgrass101 like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

BG pulls/aims an orange topped gun at me and he is getting copper tipped bullets back,I know of no LEO that is going to assume an orange tipped gun is a toy,you point it it's a deadly threat.
    As far as gun laws unless their is something state Specific it is not Illegal to paint your gun tip orange
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

come again please? i`m afraid that i dont understand the point you`re trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post

Or...

...to what extent can we really expect red/orange plastic, or the regulation that requires it on toys, to be a substitute for societal responsibilities of a nation or to protect the law-abiding citizen instead of an effective justice system?

Distinguished Member
    It would help with knowing which end to hold!
    NH_Esau and bigmacque like this.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

where did this "point orange tipped gun at COP" thing come form?

like i said i have no intention of defacing any of my guns in this manner. nor would i ever point anything that even resembles a gun at anyone that is not attacking/threatening me unprovoked. i just wanted to know, for the sake of conversation, is it legal to paint the tip of a real gun orange.

this came up in conversation while i was having a discussion with my friends about ways to store a long gun when all one has is a small/fire safe. and cannot afford a large safe or live in an second floor apartment which cant not support a heavy safe. i know a few people who disassemble their guns and either keep the bolt in a safe that will not accommodate a long gun, or keep the bolt in a separate location such as ones car. or hide the bolt in the house, or even carrying it around with them.

the idea came up as a way to prevent the rest of the gun (now useless) from being stolen by making it appear as a toy. perhaps even keeping it among other toy guns to avoid being noticed.

just an idea, the intention is not to fool/surprise LEO.

yes ! "front towards enemy" just like it says on a claymore mine.

always good idea to label the end that the mean stuff comes out of, i also find that the two ends of a rocket launch tube to be very similar looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    NONAME762 likes this.

police officers are civilians are they not?

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianSteel View Post
    Funny that you mention this, I was just thinking the same thing while looking at air soft guns (to use for holster/draw practicing). I suppose you could fool some people at first glance (civilians) but I don't know about further than that. I can tell you that a cop is going to handle that gun as lethal (if pointed at him) even if it does have the orange marker.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I doubt it is against the law..... However even though most criminals are not the brightest I don't believe one would fool them once they picked it up and felt the weight........
    technomonster likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post

Or...

I got his point. The moss under the bridge is getting thicker around here.
    NONAME762, kerberos and Snub44 like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Sorry Sister but if you don't know which end to hold onto perhaps you should not be holding it? Just the observations of an old Redneck around a Sister Redneck.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    yes ! "front towards enemy" just like it says on a claymore mine.

always good idea to label the end that the mean stuff comes out of, i also find that the two ends of a rocket launch tube to be very similar looking.
    IF you need assistance with what end of a AT rocket launcher to point at your intended target you need only watch the segment where Rae Dawn Chong takes aim at a paddy wagon and accidentally blows up a Phone Booth in the movie COMMANDO.... I might watch that in a few minutes.
    Last edited by NONAME762; May 1st, 2013 at 04:36 AM. Reason: 0opsx3
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I do not approve of anything that confuses or complicates any perceptions of handling guns. If you point your gun at a person, it should be assumed to be loaded and a lethal threat to that person. My only planned occasion for such use of my gun would be when my life is threatened.

Also, let's not give liberals/politicians any more ideas for new hoops for law-abiding gun owners to jump through.

Lead Moderator
    Guess you should look it up with your current states laws. Seems like a foolish idea to do so anyway.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links