Bug for hunting big game

Bug for hunting big game

This is a discussion on Bug for hunting big game within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; a question for you guys (and gals) hunting in the areas where it is possible to happen upon a Griz or other type of really ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

Bug for hunting big game

a question for you guys (and gals) hunting in the areas where it is possible to happen upon a Griz or other type of really large bear.

What cal. and what bullet do you carry. Are you going with hollow points, or round nose for max penitration through the bone, and grissle?

Thanks
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Since i dont think any pistol will reliably stop a PO'd bear i just carry my kahr 9 , Its as loud as any to scare a bear off and pretty dehorned for when that dont work and the bear shoves it up my fundiment LOL . Were i to actualy carry with a bear in mind tho without a dobut it would be either the 460 or 500 smith , assuming i couldnt lay my hands on one of thiese . ( note that is even the ccw snubby lol )
    Attached Images
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I like it,

Where can I get one. I would like to have about 10 times the comp on the end though.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

RR that pic is funny.

I shot a 50 BMG rifle at a local shooter's show ... I don't want to think what that would do to my hand, wrist, arm, shoulder, ears, etc...

You are supposed to stick that in the bears mouth before pulling trigger. Thats the last ditch pistol.

A big ass knife.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    There are two distictive types of bears. The black bear.....and the rest. The blacks are not nearly as tough(dense) as the others. Seems to me that they are not as tenacious either.

My inputs to your ?'s would be >.......I do not encounter the larger bear. If I did,in the "pistol" calibers i would not go any lower in power than a .454 Casull.

Bullets,...neither of your stated types. Hard cast only. With the wide meplates. Probably made by Cast Bullet Performance. (the WFN's) These, driven just as fast as possible.

For the rifle as a BUG > Lagecy/Puma..454 Casull,SS,16" bbl. This 6lb.,very short weapon,holds enough rounds,with enough energy,to kill anything on this, and most other, planets.

Pistol > .500 S&W(7.5"),stoked with a 400-500 gr WFN hard cast.

Shotgun(very best) > Rem 870 Express,18" bbl,ghost ring night sights,loaded with Dixie Terminator Slugs. These slugs give true"English Double" performance from a shotgun.(not for the weak of heart)

These are my picks. But the very best thing you could do to stay alive in bear country,is the same thing that we can do in our everyday life on the mean streets of Hometown,USA........situational awareness. -------

VIP Member
    Only saw a bear once, I just carry the weapon and ammo appropriate for the game hunted.

While in Alaska I carried my Ruger 44mag Super Blackhawk and used 240gr. lead Semi wadcutters. I never had to shoot a bear but these were recomended by other people that lived there.

At that time (1976) residents were recomending that one didn't go out into the wilds with less then a 41mag.

Pretty common to see people out and about with 45-70 rifle with 44mag on hip.

S&W 629 .44 magnum loaded with 310 grain Garrett Super Hard Cast Hammerheads. I grouse hunt in black bear country.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I hunt in country where black bears are thicker than fleas on a badger and have never had any trouble with them. 99.99% of the time they're gonna leave you alone once they're aware you're there, and the other ones require very little incentive to leave. In the spring you don't wanna get between mama and a cub, but I've done that before and mama just false charged and let me go on my way. Brownies are a different matter completely, as others have said .41 mag is about as light as I would go, and if it was between shootin' a ticked off griz with a .41 mag and climbin' a tree, I'd be pullin' splinters for weeks.

Be sure and pick a good tree though, You ever see what a Brownies claws will do to a small tree?

I dont' think much about bears here in FL, but as long as we are on the topic, it relates to the thread and no one has yet mentioned it, how about the 45LC for bear defense?

Any good?
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

i carry a 460 or 500 smith as my backup weather i see bear or not

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links