P238

P238

This is a discussion on P238 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was at our local Shoot Straight tonight and asked if they had a P238 in stock as I think I would like to have one ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Taurahe

Thread: P238

P238

Was at our local Shoot Straight tonight and asked if they had a P238 in stock as I think I would like to have one for deep conceal carry. One of the staff there comes out and begins telling me that Sig has re-tooled and won't be making any more of the 238's. has anyone else heard that as it was news to me?
    "Life isn't fair but having the root password helps!"

Glock 27 Gen 4

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    haven't heard that and I'm a big sig fan, own 2 p238 and a p938
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Distinguished Member
    No way IMO. They've made stupid money on that one. Sorry for being pointed but but they've got Martha Steward figuring out the next version. They'd be crazy to stop.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member
    I am also a Sig fan and have owned a lot of their classic models over the years. I currently only have a Sig P238 and 938. It is possible that they are retooling. Gun manufacturers often do not make all models at the same time. Imagine how much machinery Sig would need to produce all their models year round. What they do instead is estimate the market for each model, produce that amount, retool for a few other models and produce those and so forth. When you have panic buying like we just experience where demand was much higher than historically you will end up with a gun and ammo shortage for those guns produced prior to the panic buying. Just have to wait until they start producing them again. Although these two guns are current hot sellers, Sig has to maintain inventory of other guns for government contracts and to keep those models in the pipeline. No one is going to put all their gun eggs into one basket. Next year nobody may want a .380 and the P238 may fall out of favor.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    I am also a Sig fan and have owned a lot of their classic models over the years. I currently only have a Sig P238 and 938. It is possible that they are retooling. Gun manufacturers often do not make all models at the same time. Imagine how much machinery Sig would need to produce all their models year round. What they do instead is estimate the market for each model, produce that amount, retool for a few other models and produce those and so forth. When you have panic buying like we just experience where demand was much higher than historically you will end up with a gun and ammo shortage for those guns produced prior to the panic buying. Just have to wait until they start producing them again. Although these two guns are current hot sellers, Sig has to maintain inventory of other guns for government contracts and to keep those models in the pipeline. No one is going to put all their gun eggs into one basket. Next year nobody may want a .380 and the P238 may fall out of favor.
    That's basically what the guys was telling me. That Sig retooled to focus on rifles for a while. I assumed due to the popularity of the 238 that it must be for a period of time and then they would make a new round of 238's.
    "Life isn't fair but having the root password helps!"

Glock 27 Gen 4

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer77 View Post
    Was at our local Shoot Straight tonight and asked if they had a P238 in stock as I think I would like to have one for deep conceal carry. One of the staff there comes out and begins telling me that Sig has re-tooled and won't be making any more of the 238's. has anyone else heard that as it was news to me?
    Sounds like the store didn't have any in stock and the staff member wasn't interested in doing any checking on it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Yeah they are back ordered on these models for a long time and they are made by the custom shop. So this sounds like yet another gun store wanna be insider expert, one step up from flipping burgers, comment.

If I am correct sig stopped production of ALL handguns to focus on rifle production around the beginning of the year, but it was to fill order backlog before the "gun ban" went into effect. I am pretty sure it didnt last long. As far as availability goes, who knows. I have been waiting on XS sights for my SR40C for 4 months, they are cranking out everything but what I have ordered....supply and demand is an evil mistress.
    boomer77 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    If I am correct sig stopped production of ALL handguns to focus on rifle production around the beginning of the year, but it was to fill order backlog before the "gun ban" went into effect. I am pretty sure it didnt last long. As far as availability goes, who knows. I have been waiting on XS sights for my SR40C for 4 months, they are cranking out everything but what I have ordered....supply and demand is an evil mistress.
    I've been waiting on a new slide lever and spring for at least that long. Kinda pisses me off they are ignoring customer service requests to fill new orders.

Links