How does the NRA spend its money?

This is a discussion on How does the NRA spend its money? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Please move this thread if there is a better place for it. I would like to financially support a foundation that helps secure 2nd amendment ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: How does the NRA spend its money?

Please move this thread if there is a better place for it.

I would like to financially support a foundation that helps secure 2nd amendment rights. I want to make sure my money is going to the cause and not being spent frivolously.

im looking into the NRA and the NRA defense fund

Is there a place that they post their expenditures? How much of each dollar goes to "the cause" and how much goes into "administrative cost"? Where does my membership money go?

I found this: National Rifle Assn: Summary | OpenSecrets but Im not really sure what im looking at since these numbers are "just numbers" and don't give a scope of what is being taken in and what is being spent.
    Last edited by rocky; May 3rd, 2013 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Removed amazon link from post

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I believe the NRA:ILA is the lobbying arm of the NRA. I do not believe that much of your NRA dues go to lobbying, since there ins't much leftover after the benefits.
    oldman45 likes this.

This guy again?
    Yetiman likes this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeetsak View Post
    Please move this thread if there is a better place for it.

I would like to financially support a foundation that helps secure 2nd amendment rights. I want to make sure my money is going to the cause and not being spent frivolously.

im looking into the NRA and the NRA defense fund

Is there a place that they post their expenditures? How much of each dollar goes to "the cause" and how much goes into "administrative cost"? Where does my membership money go?

I found this: National Rifle Assn: Summary | OpenSecrets but Im not really sure what im looking at since these numbers are "just numbers" and don't give a scope of what is being taken in and what is being spent.
    The NRA is designated by the IRS as a 501(c)(3) and its lobbying branch is a 501(c)(4) organization. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...le_Association

The tax returns on non-profits are form 990.

"If I want to see the 990 of a particular nonprofit, how do I do it?
    You can get a copy of a nonprofit's Form 990 from the IRS, but you can also view it at the charity you are interested in. Nonprofit organizations are required to make their 990 and their exemption application available for public inspection without charge at their regional and district offices during regular business hours."

http://nonprofit.about.com/od/nonpro...p/Form-990.htm

I haven't looked, but the 990 might be up on their web site somewhere.

I was on the BOD of a non-profit for awhile; not sure the 990 will be all that helpful but
    the info you are looking for will be there. It just may not appear obvious.
    Last edited by Hopyard; May 3rd, 2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: to remove link to private company
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I think they spend the majority of the money on postage and paper, trying to clog the mailbox almost every day.

mano3 and Alex_C like this.

Smell a liberal trying to plant descent ? I do same post other forums

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Read my past posts. I'm no troll.

I'm just looking to make an intelligent donation.

and Im not sure what you mean by the later part of your comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    I think you meant "dissent", not "descent". I'm a liberal so I can spell!

Well, seriously I am pretty liberal yet still very, very pro-gun. There are some of us out there. For the record, I"m a life member of the NRA, albeit a reluctant one. I don't think they're very well run nowadays; every since WLP became their face they've gone downhill. I'm still a member because they're the most visible group out there but I wish there was a better alternative.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

I hope they spend it well since I just took advantage of their $300 life membersip offer. It felt good. Give it a go.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Quote Originally Posted by skeetsak View Post
    Read my past posts. I'm no troll.

I'm just looking to make an intelligent donation.

and Im not sure what you mean by the later part of your comment.
    Once again, I am calling you out. Every thread you start comes across as baiting our members into discussion on controversial issues, where our replies could easily be lifted, taken out of context, and used to paint pro-gun Americans in a bad light.

So what do you carry? How do you carry it? What's your SD ammo? Do you shoot rifle? Show us that you have a legitimate interest in the content of this forum.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    Once again, I am calling you out. Every thread you start comes across as baiting our members into discussion on controversial issues, where our replies could easily be lifted, taken out of context, and used to paint pro-gun Americans in a bad light.

So what do you carry? How do you carry it? What's your SD ammo? Do you shoot rifle? Show us that you have a legitimate interest in the content of this forum.
    I have nothing to prove to you or hide from you.

I don’t yet own a gun or regularly shoot guns either.

There is no way that I could ever prove to you that I am a new gun enthusiast. I could just Google some facts and copy/paste them into this little box, but that would just be a waste of my time and you would find inconsistencies with my post. Then, that would only further your suspicion about me and make me look like a fraud. I could ignore you, but that would only make me look like I was scared to answer your simple questions. At this point, there is no way that I can acknowledge you without you finding a way to further ostracize me purely out of suspicion based on the fact that “I ask questions”.

The situation is, I don’t know jack about guns and I came to a forum to ask questions. I came to your forum to ask you questions about your passion. I do this so that I can also become an educated gun owner who appreciates his rights and refuses to fall victim to anyone. If that arouses hostility and suspicion, I would have to ask you a hypothetical question, “What do you have to hide?”.

As a fan of the second amendment, I just want to know how I can best support the advancement of pro-gun legislation. If you donate to the cause, I would like to know who they are and how I can also get involved.

I agree with Smitty. You have no guns or ammo Sketer yet you are an expert on firearms. Sounds like too much Call Of Duty or Grand Theft Auto. LOL
    Last edited by rogertc1; May 6th, 2013 at 08:46 AM.
    Yetiman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rogertc1 View Post
    I agree with Smitty. You have no guns or ammo Sketer yet you are an expert on firearms. Sounds like too much Call Of Duty or Grand Theft Auto. LOL
    I may last post I explicitly say that, "I don't know jack about guns and came to this forum to ask questions".
    ccw9mm likes this.

What does the NRA do with our money? Some of the things they do are promote gun safety and shooting sports. One of the main reasons gun 'mishaps' (accidents) have gone down in the US is due to NRA gun safety and hunter safety training.

If you decide to get a concealed carry license/permit anywhere in the US there is a very good chance that the instructor you go to for training will have NRA certification and will adhere to NRA re-enforced safety principles.

This hearing the news about how many injuries and fatalities there were during Italy's annual hunting seasons the last few years (Italian Hunters Under Fire After Killing 35 ... People - Another 74 injured in hunting accidents for example), my first reaction was "They need the NRA !"
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Let's see, yesterday alone I got four emails from the NRA, two things in snail mail from NRA-ILA and a phone call soliciting money to be on top of the three substantial donations I have already given them this year.

If it were anyone else, they would be prosecuted for abuse to the elderly.

All in all, I consider these contacts a minor distraction since they have done a lot of good. Had it not been for the NRA just this year, we would not be able to have many guns that are still legal now. And they are still fighting. Nobody ever hears where any of the other pro gun groups does anything. There is one group that just takes money so they can go to gun shows with their staff of three making great salaries. Give your money to the NRA where it does some good.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links