Found the best deal today at Buds Gun Shop

This is a discussion on Found the best deal today at Buds Gun Shop within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As reported in another thread, the wife and I went into town to Buds Gun Shop to give her a little range work. Afterward, we ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Found the best deal today at Buds Gun Shop

As reported in another thread, the wife and I went into town to Buds Gun Shop to give her a little range work.

Afterward, we did a little browsing, the big crowds have died down, making it bearable to take your time and pick thru all the used guns. There were plenty of AR 15 variants on the walls and racks, but the prices were still a little high, and they werent receiving much attention.

So, while checking the selection of lever guns, I found this used Marlin 336CS in great condition for the crazy price of $299.00. Chambered in 30-30, with good wood, blueing with not one sign of wear or pitting, it now rests in my gun cabinet. And its a pre Remington make with JM barrel.

The thing about Buds, is that their inventory is never properly reflected on their site because it changes faster than they can keep up with.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Suh-weet! I don't have a 336 but I've fired some, and I recall they have a nice smooth action. It's nice when you find diamonds in the rough and priced right to boot!

I have a couple of 1894's that are JM's. I keep hoping Remington will turn it around, but they appear to be stalled. Very sad.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Looked at an early 336 in .35 Rem yesterday. $399. Just don't need to spend the cash on one though. Also had an Inland M1 carbine but it was pretty beat up for $750. Maybe one day one will follow me home.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    The way Buds did me I might as well have just given them the keys to my bank account and told them to have at it. Never, never again.....
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Suh-weet! I don't have a 336 but I've fired some, and I recall they have a nice smooth action. It's nice when you find diamonds in the rough and priced right to boot!

I have a couple of 1894's that are JM's. I keep hoping Remington will turn it around, but they appear to be stalled. Very sad.
    Yes it is sad. The Remlins are not the gun the JM's are.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

They had two Browning 1895 levers chambered in 30-06 for 799.00, if I go back, I may have to put one on layaway. That is one cool lever gun.
    OldVet and OD* like this.

"Serendipity" is how I found my barely-used 336 as well, for a comparable bargain. They're out there, folks!

Nice catch, g-man!

Re the 1895s... a friend of mine has a pair of 'em, one's a high grade that he paid mightily for - but a gorgeous gun. Given your penchant for African hunting, you may need to get one, if for no other reason than to relate to ol' TR...
    Attached Images
    GhostMaker and glockman10mm like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

mkh
    I've always wanted a Marlin lever action. Maybe someday I'll het me one.

Congrats on your new addition.

Good find and price!!!! I love lever guns....I've got several of them.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Nice find, G-man.

I thinking seriously about getting back into deer hunting this year; it's been over 20 years since I've been.

A Marlin 30-30 is on my short list. I'm hoping to come across a deal like the one you found.

I wish I lived near Bud's actual store, but they get enough of my money via the 'net! The LGS situation here is pretty lame. There's one actual gun shop but the selection is poor and the prices high. They have a pretty nice indoor range, though. I've never purchased a gun there but I have a range membership and buy ammo there sometimes. There are a few pawn shops that sell guns but they seem to mostly have junk with the occasional gem. Scheel's is my go-to source locally for guns and firearms stuff, including ammo. Guess I've bought three guns there in the last six months or so.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    One of my deer hunting buddies has used a 336 in 30-30 since the 70's & the deer don't go anywhere but DOWN! I have been tracking the prices on the pre-rem 336's for a while and $299 is a darn good price.

Congrats & enjoy!

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    nice find. that is an awesome price for that gun. congrats.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

would it be possible to post up a couple more pictures of that bad boy? Very nice find !

I had a 336 in 30 30, traded back in the 80's ... my eyes were better then and I could shoot it very accurately; the iron sights were great. I got it in the mid 70's when it was a very common entry level big game rifle and traded it to buy my wife a Christmas present. I wish I had it back but can't say that for the woman.

Enjoy that ol gal; you got something to brag about. With the emphasis on more modern designs nowadays I doubt that there will be many floating around for a reasonable price as time goes by and people start to realize that quality like that is not common anymore and they pass to the next generation as heirlooms.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links