Bought an old CLIP fed pistol today.

This is a discussion on Bought an old CLIP fed pistol today. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went to the Dixie Gun and Knife Classic in Raleigh today. I wasn’t looking for anything in particular but this is a nice large show ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By Fausty
  • 2 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By Chorizo

Thread: Bought an old CLIP fed pistol today.

VIP Member

Went to the Dixie Gun and Knife Classic in Raleigh today. I wasn’t looking for anything in particular but this is a nice large show and you just never know what you may find. I have always had a fondness for the Mauser C-96 and lucked on a very nice one in 7.62X25 or .30 Mauser, a rather hot round for its time. Being the price was very fair and the gun and its bore were in fine shape I quickly snatched it up. Now I just need to find where I put the stripper clips for my Bolos and it’s off to the range for a test drive. The only problem is I haven’t been able to find an IWB holster for it yet.

As an aside while ammo prices are still in the stupid range some prices have come down, I did find some ARs for less than$1000 but Aks were still in the $900-$1000 range. Even found a Ruger SR1911 the vender was asking $750 for.

Broomhandle_R.JPG Broomhandle_L.JPG Broomhandle_W_Clip.JPG

Mauser C96 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Model 1896 Mauser Broom-Handle
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

When I saw the thread title, I knew exactly what you had bought!

Those are great old guns, both mechanically and visually fascinating. Nice find!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

No wooden "holster"?
    nontechguy likes this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

We'll yessir! I am so envious. I've long wanted one of those but never gotten around to picking one up. Even when they had the cheap imports from China or who-knows-where in the "Shotgun News" years ago.

Have had opportunity to shoot a C96 on a few occasions and they feature surprisingly great ergonomics, at least for me. The 7.63 Mauser cartridge is no slouch on velocity even if a bit light in the bullet. Way outclasses .32 ACP and .380 ACP.

This Broomhandle Mauser is not being fired with black powder. A friend of mine let me fire his, loaded up with cast lead bullet handloads. The smoke is from the bullet lube. The gun ate 'em up. Very reliable function was had from the C96 Mauser that weekend with those handloads.

On the other hand, my brother-in-law bought a clunker Broomhandle Mauser from a pawn shop a few years back. It had issues. He didn't tell me what they were before I shot it when I was at his house. It rat-a-tat-tated! The trigger disconnect had some sort of wear problem which rendered this example effectively the "Schnellfeuer" model. As neato as the gun and design is, he took that one back to the shop for a refund.
    msgt/ret and gasmitty like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Have had opportunity to shoot a C96 on a few occasions and they feature surprisingly great ergonomics, at least for me. The 7.63 Mauser cartridge is no slouch on velocity even if a bit light in the bullet. Way outclasses .32 ACP and .380 ACP.
    Ages ago - I think I was in my early teens - the Southwest Pistol League was running the early combat shooting matches which were reported monthly in Gun World magazine ( a gun rag which was ahead of its time with good writers and subject matter). I remember seeing broomhandle Mausers fairly frequently in the pictures of the matches, alongside a lot of 1911s and an occasional wheelgun. I got the impression they were pretty popular for that game, which is consistent with the good ergonomics Bryan describes.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Went to the Dixie Gun and Knife Classic in Raleigh today. I wasn’t looking for anything in particular but this is a nice large show and you just never know what you may find. I have always had a fondness for the Mauser C-96 and lucked on a very nice one in 7.62X25 or .30 Mauser, a rather hot round for its time. Being the price was very fair and the gun and its bore were in fine shape I quickly snatched it up. Now I just need to find where I put the stripper clips for my Bolos and it’s off to the range for a test drive. The only problem is I haven’t been able to find an IWB holster for it yet.

As an aside while ammo prices are still in the stupid range some prices have come down, I did find some ARs for less than$1000 but Aks were still in the $900-$1000 range. Even found a Ruger SR1911 the vender was asking $750 for.

Broomhandle_R.JPG Broomhandle_L.JPG Broomhandle_W_Clip.JPG

Mauser C96 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Model 1896 Mauser Broom-Handle
    Do they make a Cross Breed Super Tuck for that???
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Plug for a very good friend of mine forum:

C96_Forum : C96_Forum

He knows more about the C-96 than most know collectively about guns.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Nice buy. A friend has a Waffenbrik Model Mauser Broomhandle with the buttstock in about 90% condition, and claims it is worth $2.5K.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Wow! what an awesome gun.

Links