Women on Target

This is a discussion on Women on Target within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This Saturday, my gun club held an NRA "Women on Target" event. This is a NRA Basic Firearms Safety Course open only to women. We ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Manderinobyebye

Thread: Women on Target

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar

Women on Target

This Saturday, my gun club held an NRA "Women on Target" event. This is a NRA Basic Firearms Safety Course open only to women. We had 24 participants and the unique thing about this program is the range of firearms they get to shoot. Unlike some courses that either have no live fire or very little live fire, in this course there is A LOT of live fire and the women loved it. They got to shoot .38 revolver, .22 semi-auto pistol, 9mm semi-auto, .22 bolt action scoped rifle, AR-15, and 20 gauge shotgun (at moving clay targets). Most of the women had never held a firearm.

As RSO on the shotgun range, I got a lot of comments about how much fun they were having and loved seeing the big smiles on their faces when they broke their first clay flying 45mph downrange, something most thought they never could do. They talked about how afraid of (or nervous around) guns they were before they took the course and how they now feel confident and safe around guns. They talked about trying to get husbands and boyfriends to learn to shoot and gun safety, and many said they wanted to get their LTCs. But what surprised me most is when I asked them which firearm they most enjoyed shooting, the majority said "the AR-15" with a few preferring pistol. They liked the shotgun but the recoil wasn't everyone's cup of tea.

Interesting day and I strongly encourage other gun clubs to hold this type of event if you have the NRA training connections and the right facilities.

Women's Programs|Women's Programs
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    That class is something that can really help women.It's good you all have that for them..There is a couple,in a town,not far from me that gives the CCP class.They are both NRA certified.The wife gives women a free 2 hr training class about every couple of months.It's really setup,for those,who doesn't know anything about a gun.
    I don't know how many,she takes,for the classes.She said,it stays filled up.She told me,she has women,anywhere from 21-67 yrs old.She told me,the ammo shortage,has effected them some,but,she still tries to give the classes.
    KoriBustard likes this.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandpgrl View Post
    That class is something that can really help women.It's good you all have that for them..There is a couple,in a town,not far from me that gives the CCP class.They are both NRA certified.The wife gives women a free 2 hr training class about every couple of months.It's really setup,for those,who doesn't know anything about a gun.
    I don't know how many,she takes,for the classes.She said,it stays filled up.She told me,she has women,anywhere from 21-67 yrs old.She told me,the ammo shortage,has effected them some,but,she still tries to give the classes.
    We had 24 women, between the ages of 23 and about 60, but most in their early 30's. We had 8 woman from a local hospital, all Oncology nurses. I must say I felt good having all those medical professionals on the range. The nice thing about this course is that woman get to learn to use firearms around other women and not around a lot of men who often like to act like they know it all already. They feel so much more free to ask questions (without fear that someone would think the question stupid) and they actively encourage each other. Kudos to your wife Mandpgrl! We really would like to see more women learn to safely and responsibly own and use firearms.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Great idea and i'm glad to see that a good number showed up.

Links