I love where I work.

This is a discussion on I love where I work. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We have a written no gun policy at work that I may or may not decide to obey depending on who is reading this Anyway, ...

Thread: I love where I work.

I love where I work.

We have a written no gun policy at work that I may or may not decide to obey depending on who is reading this Anyway, the president of the company knows that two of us at work have CCW licenses and he is always joking around about us having a gun on us. With the way he talks he seems perfectly comfortable with us carrying at work. Today he brought in a JC Higgins 22 bolt action and Walther PPK that he just acquired from relatives or something. He wants us to look over them and go shoot them this weekend to make sure they are ok. He even offered to compensate us for it. So for the time being at least he is not showing any care toward the policy. I am thinking about talking to him about rewriting it

2. Remove Ads

Oops I meant to put this in General.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    If the president flagrantly violates the policy, I wouldn't try to change it---just join in ignoring it.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Check them out for free.
    Never hurts to have a Pres thinking nicely of you.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

An ignored policy is still an enforceable policy. If I could get it changed or at least get written permission to carry I wouldn't have to worry about it. Bringing it up shouldn't be a problem because he already alludes to being ok with us carrying at work and he has ignored the policy himself.

Oh we aren't going to charge him. It is an easy excuse to convince my coworker's wife to let him go shooting and that is good enough for me. I do not even mind paying for the ammo.

VIP Member
    Andrew be careful. Today he likes you but tomorrow could be a different story. Do not lose your job.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    Check them out for free.
    Never hurts to have a Pres thinking nicely of you.

AFS
    this is a good idea

Yeah, we have a policy against it. However, we have agreed upon a don't ask, don't tell arrangement. Though, like your boss, mine jokes about it often. I have taken him to the range with me and he has seen most of my guns. Whenever we have an employee threaten one of us (we maintain +/- 200 employees, it does happen now and then) he will discreetly ask if I have my pistol with me. I have never answered him, but he knows the answer already.
    Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).

Work Friends Can Change...

like the weather...don't talk about CCW at work.
    Your boss may like/tolerate 'don't ask-don't tell' today, but tomorrow may be a different story.

Be careful...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would keep it at don't ask don't tell. It's really no one's business anyway. Don't hand someone a stone to throw at you. I get that he probably already knows anyway from what you say. Keep him guessing. I made the mistake of telling a co-worker one time. He didn't divulge this information and became a very good friend, but it made me feel immediately uneasy anyway. This guy knew something very personal about me, and could do whatever he wanted with this fact. He could have told the entire building I was an extremist gun nut. I had visions of people whispering, "don't piss him off, he's packing a gun" behind my back. This guy is your boss first, even if he breaks the rules. If you carry properly, as I bet you do, it will never be an issue anyway. My job also has a no weapons policy. Because of the nature of my work, people know I carry cash. I stay armed regardless of the policy. Why risk your job even a little for something that doesn't really change anything you do?
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Your boss may like/tolerate 'don't ask-don't tell' today, but tomorrow may be a different story.
    This is exactly why I thought I should work out a change in policy or at least get written permission. If something changes the current attitude and he believes I carry he already has something to use against me. However, if I have written permission or the policy is changed I am in the clear.

He has no way of proving you carry. All he has is speculation. He cannot search you. Why would he want to? I wouldn't want my boss to know. It puts expectations on you. Liking guns and carrying loaded guns are two different animals. Not worth him saying no or worse getting worried or even mad.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    He cannot search you.
    Excellent point. The typical corporate contraband policy states that your car, workspace, communications, and disk drives are subject to search. It doesn't specify physical search of the employee's person.

For what it's worth, I have a very similar situation. My company has a written no guns policy that even states you can't have a weapon there even if you have a license to carry one; applicable to company premises, vehicles, off-site meetings, etc. The owner has on several occassions brought in rifles that he owns, and another employee brought in a pistol that he recently purchased to show the owner. I know from a good source that the owner has gone through the training to get his CCW but not sure if he followed through. I have also often thought of asking him about the policy, but since I have never signed anything stating that I have read/received the policy manual, I have chosen to go with the "don't ask, don't tell" route. As long as my gun is concealed (if I ever chose to carry at work ) nobody would ever know unless I needed to use it, in which case it would be better to be alive and unemployed (if they chose to enforce the policy) than dead. Several of us know that others have guns and openly discuss that along with trips to the range, but nobody has said anything about carrying.

Links