Hoarding & irrational ammo purchases

This is a discussion on Hoarding & irrational ammo purchases within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to the Gander Mountain in Cary, NC this past week looking for .22 LR ammo. They had none. Why would folks in North ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Hoarding & irrational ammo purchases

Hoarding & irrational ammo purchases

I went to the Gander Mountain in Cary, NC this past week looking for .22 LR ammo.

They had none.

Why would folks in North Carolina, be hoarding .22 LR ammo????

Makes no logical or rational sense.

2. Remove Ads

22 is the most popular round by far any bad gun news gets it off the shelf. Plus the preppers love it.
    Christopher67 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    22 is the most popular round by far any bad gun news gets it off the shelf. Plus the preppers love it.
    You would think irrational buyers would go after the ammo fired by so-called "black" guns.

I think the preppers are going crazy thinking the end or the world is around the corner.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

VIP Member
    If someone can buy a box of ammo for $23 and sell it for $70, how are they being irrational?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

What makes you think North Carolina is so special?

Rimfire ammo of almost any flavor has been generally absent from store shelves since about mid-January. It's popular for low-cost practice (under normal conditions) but also as a "coin of the realm" substitute for the preppers and also as a commodity for speculators. At the Phoenix gun show a couple of weeks ago I saw bricks of Federal bulk-pack with $80 price tags - 4x normal pricing.
    bmcgilvray and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

That is what you call pure greed!

If there was decently priced ammo on the self why would you not buy it???? You can never have enough. It never goes bad. It will only be more expensive in the future. In a true SHTF scenario the lowly 22lr would be invaluable. Reloaders can't make 22lr, you either have it of you don't.

Now if you think all will be well be this summer and our country is not at a critical transition point then I could see your point that there is no need to hoard ammo, any ammo. Sure that attitude is what's causeing the panic. Hopefully the hoarders are wrong and all is well by summers end. If not the prices you see at CTD now could be cheap in the future. If you really needed ammo to protect your family and your neighborhood was in chaos nightly you would pay any amount to get it. Trying to procure ammo at that point could cost you your life. What is ammo worth to you. That the question you have to ask.
    Sister and Tzadik like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Randalls View Post
    You would think irrational buyers would go after the ammo fired by so-called "black" guns.
    Maybe you haven't noticed,in the last few years,many Companies have manufactured AR15's in 22 LR,I believe that has contributed to the run on the 22 ammo,25+ round magazines,you can carry about 5 times as much ammo for the same weight as 223.In the future when 22 starts staying on the shelves and funds allow I will start stocking until I have about 200 bricks 100,000 rounds which will last me and my wife about a year of plinking,22 is the only round I can't reload
    Lightweb likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member
    Hoarding & irrational ammo purchases?

You say that like there is something wrong with it?

OD*, WHEC724 and Ghost1958 like this.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    I think the preppers are going crazy thinking the end or the world is around the corner.
    Its been just around the corner for like 40 years now.

Senior Moderator
    Its called supply and demand. The demand is greater than the supply.
    When you have a great demand and a limited supply, you can name your price and people will pay.
    Its called freemarket 101 for you people that don't understand how it works.

And the term, "hoarding" is entirely subjective.

We are experiencing a cycle that continues on. .22 ammo is scarce, so when someone does see it, they buy it. When they buy it, the stock decreases until its gone.

Who here would have thought a few years ago, that one could not find .22 ammo anywhere? Don't blame it on the people that are buying it up, instead look at why they are buying it...if you can think clearly enough without your brain exploding.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Randalls View Post
    They did, and when those were gone, moved on to other popular calibers like 9mm and .40... then when those got cost prohibitive, they went for the much cheaper .22lr. Makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    If there was decently priced ammo on the self why would you not buy it???? You can never have enough. It never goes bad. It will only be more expensive in the future. In a true SHTF scenario the lowly 22lr would be invaluable. Reloaders can't make 22lr, you either have it of you don't.
    This is the exact reason preppers are hoarding it. In fact my prep trunk gun is a M&P 15-22. It is always in the trunk of my car with a go bag ready to roll.

And I have a duplicate setup in-home in case of a stay in place situation where I have anotehr Smith 15-22 as well as other rifles and shotties.

saa
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam42 View Post
    That is what you call pure greed!
    How is buying pure greed?

If a grocer buys up a good offering on melons and has a big melon sale - is that pure greed?

It's just business. Deal with it.
    saa.
    Tzadik and Christopher67 like this.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links