Why do my liberal friends think that my 4 year old shooting is child abuse?

This is a discussion on Why do my liberal friends think that my 4 year old shooting is child abuse? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yesterday a buddy of mine and I took my 4 year old son with us to do some work up at my buddy’s property and ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: Why do my liberal friends think that my 4 year old shooting is child abuse?

Why do my liberal friends think that my 4 year old shooting is child abuse?

Yesterday a buddy of mine and I took my 4 year old son with us to do some work up at my buddy’s property and to shoot guns. My son has been helping me clean my guns over the past year, and I have been working with him regarding the rules of guns and proper safety. Well since it was nice, I thought I would bring him with us, and brought along a bb gun pistol that I have.

Well, the bb gun was a bit too easy for him, and it did not even have the power to break a bottle. So my buddy hands me a 22 takedown to shoot. Since my son’s arms are still too short to properly hold the gun, I held the weight of the gun while he lined it up and pulled the trigger. I think I might have made it too easy on him because after 3 shots, he was hitting everything dead center. Although the 22 felt like the bb gun in terms of recoil.

So we upped it to a 410 single shot. He did not need the 3 shots… bottles were breaking, clusters were in the center of the targets, and he was doing awesome and having a great time. Finally, I hold a 30-30 marlin for him… he was right on with clusters of 3 within a 3 inch circle… without a miss. Granted this was only at 15 yards and I held the weight of the gun, but I was still socked and proud.

But here is where the twist comes in… I posted on FB about how proud I was of him for doing so well, and listening to directions so well today while shooting, and now I have crazy liberal friends who are sending hate messages because they think teaching my 4 year old to shoot is child abuse. If anything I think not teaching kids how to properly and safely use guns is child abuse.

How do you deal with these idiots?

2. Remove Ads

Best way is to remove them from your friends list. Real friends don't claim you're abusing your child for doing something totally normal
    WHEC724, phreddy, OD* and 31 others like this.

Just ignore and enjoy a fun outing with your son.

Alternatively move to Texas. :)
    Jumpy, Taurahe and Snub44 like this.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    You can either ignore them or try to calmly reason with them about it. The former is probably your best bet, since these friends of yours think it is child abuse based on their worldview, and unless you change that, they will always twist the facts to fit what they already believe to be true.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
    Yesterday a buddy of mine and I took my 4 year old son with us to do some work up at my buddy’s property and to shoot guns. My son has been helping me clean my guns over the past year, and I have been working with him regarding the rules of guns and proper safety. Well since it was nice, I thought I would bring him with us, and brought along a bb gun pistol that I have.

Well, the bb gun was a bit too easy for him, and it did not even have the power to break a bottle. So my buddy hands me a 22 takedown to shoot. Since my son’s arms are still too short to properly hold the gun, I held the weight of the gun while he lined it up and pulled the trigger. I think I might have made it too easy on him because after 3 shots, he was hitting everything dead center. Although the 22 felt like the bb gun in terms of recoil.

So we upped it to a 410 single shot. He did not need the 3 shots… bottles were breaking, clusters were in the center of the targets, and he was doing awesome and having a great time. Finally, I hold a 30-30 marlin for him… he was right on with clusters of 3 within a 3 inch circle… without a miss. Granted this was only at 15 yards and I held the weight of the gun, but I was still socked and proud.

But here is where the twist comes in… I posted on FB about how proud I was of him for doing so well, and listening to directions so well today while shooting, and now I have crazy liberal friends who are sending hate messages because they think teaching my 4 year old to shoot is child abuse. If anything I think not teaching kids how to properly and safely use guns is child abuse.

Easy...DE-FRIEND them both on FB and in real life.
    Mr B, OD*, ErnieNWillis and 12 others like this.

They won't understand and there is no dealing with a convinced Liberal. I would rid my FB page of them, then I would keep then at a distance and definitely not consider them my friends. That is really the only way to deal with types who do stuff like that.

I have some Liberal "friends" but they too have their moments, yet they do respect my belief in gun rights and things even though they disapprove. Your "Liberals" however should be avoided like the plague they are.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Don't post stuff like that on FB. I don't post squat on FB and keep my stuff as private as I can. I'm on there hoping to reconnect with some old friends. Which has been moderately succesful. But other than "like" "dislike" and less than 10 word comments. I just lurk.
    OD*, mwhartman, niks and 1 others like this.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I have learned to simply ignore those kind of people.I do believe,there are those,that, as soon as they hit that power button on,to their computer,they go into the "genius mode".
    Unless,it's a close friend,or,a family member,they don't matter to begin with..Isn't it amazing,how some, would seem to know, what you should or shouldn't be doing with your son?Smh.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
    They are sheep who are unable to think for themselves. Teaching your child proper respect for firearms at an early age is the best way to keep them safe if they ever encounter a gun and an adult isn't nearby. Ask your Liberal friends if they have the same approach with their children regarding sex education. If they choose ignorance over education. Then wish them luck with their pregnant dropout kids.

This article is long, but it is absolutely fantastic, regarding the anti-gun viewpoint:
    http://www.iowastatedaily.com/opinio...tml?TNNoMobile
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

VIP Member
    Facebook is not your friend.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Stop buying into the idea that you need to let the world know your business.

Although you have the right to raise your children as you see fit to a degree: these people are not trying to be malicious or take your rights away. In their own minds they are doing your children a service by trying to convince you to stop endangering them. Be happy you have friends that care about your children enough to hurt your feelings and tell you the truth from their standpoint.

Some people don't understand your viewpoint about weapons and are seriously afraid of them. Sometimes you can educate them about such a polarizing issue, sometimes you can't; move on. Beating your head against a wall is also a waste of time. Keep your family business private and just enjoy life.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    The easiest answer I can think of it "because they are liberals."
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Facebook is not your friend.
    I could not agree more.

Facebook is a mammoth security FAIL.

I wonder how many people who have Facebook accounts, also pay for identify-theft protection? It's like buying a bilge pump for your boat with a screen-door bottom.

Agreed. The smart thing to do is get rid of your liberal "friends." I'm facing the same issues with my Facebook now. A person stupid enough to think that taking your child to have some fun with you and teach them responsible shooting is child abuse is not worthy of your friendship.

Also, I fail to see how depriving an entire generation of the ability to defend themselves is not child abuse.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links