The Mighty S&W AR-22 Rifle

This is a discussion on The Mighty S&W AR-22 Rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Smith and Wesson MP-.22 has really been catching on. Part of it due to ammo prices and the fact that it's about all most ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: The Mighty S&W AR-22 Rifle

Senior Moderator

The Mighty S&W AR-22 Rifle

The Smith and Wesson MP-.22 has really been catching on. Part of it due to ammo prices and the fact that it's about all most people can afford to shoot. Its a nifty little rifle that is light in weight, mimics the AR-15 with its controls and is as accurate as any .22 rifle out there. It has very little in the way of recoil, allowing very fast and easy follow up shots. The magazine holds 25 rounds and mine feed flawlessly. With a Nikon scope on it, the rifle easily keeps all of its shots within 1 " at 50 yards and everyone that has shot it loves it.

They really shine when suppressed, and the predominate sound is the action noise from the bolt slapping back and forth when shot with CCI subsonic or standard ammo. The kids have no problems with it and it accurate enough to be a serious threat to squirrels.

Here is a video of it shooting gongs. Turn up your speakers. This thing is a blast and everyone that shoots it smiles a lot. The only hard part is keeping it fed.

Here's a pic with the Huntertown Arms "B" on it, a suppressor that is only 4" long.

If you just like to shoot, this one is hard to beat.
    WHEC724, darbo, squid86 and 1 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

Cool! They sure are popular. In the couple of years since I've been shooting a "tactical .22" rifle match, the MP-22s have become the far and away favorite, displacing the 10/22s. I think the fact that they could be had for around $400 (before the nuttiness) and didn't need/warrant the customizing the 10/22s got enhanced their popularity. About the only thing the base gun needs to be competitive in our club matches is an optic, and Primary Arms has a $60 clone of the Millet DMS which seems to cover the bases nicely.

About the only thing that fouls these guns up is running drum mags (50+ rounds). We have one precision stage with targets from 15 to 100 yards that typically takes about 60 rounds if you have no misses.. The "hosemaster" crowd goes for speed over accuracy so of course they run drums. I don't think I've ever seen a drum mag run from full to empty without a malfunction of some sort, but the single stacks seem to work just fine overall.

We had a guy a couple of matches ago running a suppressed .22 AR - not sure what it was. He had to run 3 of the 4 stages over because the timer wasn't registering his shots - that's how quiet the gune was!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Cool, gasmitty? THIS IS A WEAPON OF WAR. Did you fail to notice the pistol grip and shoulder thing that goes up? Don't even get me started on the big clip. THIS IS A LARGE VELOCITY GUN. We don't need people running around the streets of America with military-style weapons.

But seriously, these things are sweet. If I had the money for it...
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I have the MOE FDE model. Awesome rifle to shoot!

I don't really get them. Not the AR looking aspect but why a .22 only AR platform. I would rather buy an AR-15 in .223/5.56 and then get the .22 bolt and mag kit. You can then fire 3 different ammo types in a single platform with a single scope/accessory kit.

VIP Member
    I'm thinking you should do a video where you play a tune on the gongs that you shoot.

I vote for "Flight of the Bumblebee".
    lionround likes this.

I have the Sig Sauer 522. Lots of fun on the range...

Click, ting.....Click, ting....Love it..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Lead Moderator
    Nice was out shooting mine today , no suppressor though. Next big purchase may be a Huntertown suppressor, just got to get the paperwork in after finding a dealer.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I was thinking about getting one, but anymore, the .22 ammo is harder to find than anything else. I suppose if the crazyness dies down it could become a good option again. Now I just need to convince the wife that I need another gun.
    Walk softly ...

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar
    In New York, our Emperor has deemed us unworthy of possessing such things.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Senior Moderator
    Well...I got tired of that long barrel and I chopped it to 8.5
    Using various suppressors, it's even better that it was before, now the overall length is less than the original with the can mounted on it.I like it ever better. It didn't affect the accuracy at all and its easier to handle.

OD* likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I'd love one but can't find .22lr for the life of me. It'd just sit around collecting dust for a long while.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    What kind of optic did you use on it, I see it's a scope but what kind and power.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Senior Moderator
    Its a Nikon 3x9. Very clear and bright.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links