ATF weighs in on 3-D printer guns

This is a discussion on ATF weighs in on 3-D printer guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ATF responds to growing interest in 3-D printer guns Days after a Texas company released a video purporting to show the test firing of a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: ATF weighs in on 3-D printer guns

ATF weighs in on 3-D printer guns

ATF responds to growing interest in 3-D printer guns

Days after a Texas company released a video purporting to show the test firing of a gun created on a 3-D printer, the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has released some information on how the agency will deal with this new technology.

ATF responds to growing interest in 3-D printer guns - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

2. Remove Ads

Don't gun manufacturers have to be licensed with the ATF?

Doesn't that mean that any firearm built by an unlicensed manufacturer, is an illegal gun?

I could see the ATF requiring that CAD files for 3D-printer guns will only be allowed to be distributed to licensed gun manufacturers. Someone distributing such a file to any entity without such license will be a felony.

An unlicensed manufacturer making such a gun will be a felony. Selling such a gun will be a felony.

Senior Moderator
    Did you read the article?

It has always been legal for a person to build their own gun. Doing it for profit requires a license.

There are several forums dedicated to building personal firearms.

You can even build your own silencer/SBS/SBR legally with a Form One if your state allows it.

An unlicensed manufacturer making such a gun will be a felony. Selling such a gun will be a felony.
    Wrong again.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Did you read the article?

It has always been legal for a person to build their own gun. Doing it for profit requires a license.

There are several forums dedicated to building personal firearms.

You can even build your own silencer/SBS/SBR legally with a Form One if your state allows it.

Wrong again.
    Spot on!
    Manderinobyebye and mook012 like this.

you sound like the igjets that work for homeland security.

Doesn't that mean that any firearm built by an unlicensed manufacturer, is an illegal gun?

I could see the ATF requiring that CAD files for 3D-printer guns will only be allowed to be distributed to licensed gun manufacturers. Someone distributing such a file to any entity without such license will be a felony.

Dan060 likes this.

VIP Member
    I just don't see people running out to buy a 3D printer to make a gun when it is a lot cheaper to buy a factory gun.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Welcome to class Randalls.
    Manderinobyebye likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

There's nothing illegal about having blueprints for a 1911A why should having or distributing a cad file be illegal?

methinks control of information and how it's shared is the real fear

Quote Originally Posted by Randalls View Post

According to your statement I read that to mean I could build my own weapon and as long as it was for my own personal use and I never sold it it would be Legal to possess.
    Just the same as making Moonshine. So long as you drink all you make (up to 100 gallons a year) you're OKI DOKI. 100 gallons a year is too funny...I don't drink 100 gallons of micro brewed beer, regular beer, wine coolers, Yodka or 'shine in a year....Only the ATF would come up with a Ruling like This. Goobers All. HUA
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Randalls View Post

You really should do some research so you actually know your topic before making any comments. As already stated, you do not need a license to manufacture a firearm for personal use. But you did, purely by coincidence, get one thing right. A (lay)person who makes a firearm for personal use cannot turn around and sell it for a profit. For that, you do need a license.

Keep up the effort, Randalls. You're bound to get another one right sooner or later. After all, even a broken (analog) clock is correct twice a day.

Distinguished Member
    The article says, "If an individual begins producing large quantities of 3-D printed guns... that person is 'engaged in the business' and must obtain a license."

While, "large quantities" is subjective, the statement clearly says that one must obtain a license for activity apart from selling. Maybe Dave can clarify what, in its present muddled communication is bad law as it has no common meaning. However, ATF is not respecting 2A with statements like the above.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    ...You can even build your own silencer/SBS/SBR legally with a Form One if your state allows it.
    A $4 oil filter is an inexpensive and simple start. Ooooops, going to have to pass a background check and show a NEED to change your oil before you can buy an oil filter now. No more buying oil filters at car shows.
    msgt/ret and bigmacque like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I find it amusing all the talk in the media about this whole "3D Printer" garbage.....like Mills, and CNC machines, or files, Dremels, and sandpaper for that matter----never crossed their minds. Which of course, never did, because they come from a bunch that has never actually DONE anything in life, like build something in their shop out of a hunk of metal.

Of course regardless of the fact they may attempt to change the legality of building your own guns, in Kansas anyway, our legislature has decided as long as it never leaves the state, and does not enter interstate commerce, they better stay quiet.

Years ago I watched a news show depicting Pakistanis casting, filing, and assembling a broomhandle Mauser clone.......in a shack/dugout...........us Country boys have better shops than they did.
    Tzadik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    A $4 oil filter is an inexpensive and simple start. Ooooops, going to have to pass a background check and show a NEED to change your oil before you can buy an oil filter now. No more buying oil filters at car shows.
    I know you are joking, but don't think the Treehuggers wouldn't be up for that----to make sure the used oil was disposed of in an environmentally responsible manner! Jeeeesh they're crazy ya know!

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    The article says, "If an individual begins producing large quantities of 3-D printed guns... that person is 'engaged in the business' and must obtain a license."

While, "large quantities" is subjective, the statement clearly says that one must obtain a license for activity apart from selling. Maybe Dave can clarify what, in its present muddled communication is bad law as it has no common meaning. However, ATF is not respecting 2A with statements like the above.
    As with illegal drugs, if you are in possession of a large quantity of homemade firearms, the gov't is assuming that they are not simply for personal use. This of course depends on the definition of a "large quantity." If it can be determined that someone is making firearms with the intent of selling them, they will need a license. However, as you said, it is all a bit muddled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links