cross country trip PA to AZ- could use tips

This is a discussion on cross country trip PA to AZ- could use tips within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi everyone, I plan on making a trip out to AZ. I plan to pass through OH,IN,IL (shudder),MO,OK,TX and NM. While only OH,IL (of course) ...

Thread: cross country trip PA to AZ- could use tips

Question cross country trip PA to AZ- could use tips

Hi everyone,
    I plan on making a trip out to AZ. I plan to pass through OH,IN,IL (shudder),MO,OK,TX and NM. While only OH,IL (of course) and NM do not honor my PA permit, I was wondering what I should do with my firearm in those states. Gun in the trunk and ammo in the car?
    Any other travel tips would be helpful, or if you know specific details about your state.
    Thank you in advace
    Two of my favorite responses:
    "What is it about gun control laws that makes you feel safe?"
    "For the same reason I always wear my seatbelt."

2. Remove Ads

NM is an open carry state so feel free to carry openly if you want. While driving you may have the weapon concealed on your person on in the glovebox, or wherever in the car and have it loaded if you want. When you leave the car the weapon must either be openly carried or left in the car.

I hope that this helps a little.

Tim

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I would have a lockable safe, keep the gun in it, and then keep your ammunition in your glove box. That's what I did. I drove across from Northern VA to AZ and that's how I ran it.

Where you headed to in AZ?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by timothius View Post
    NM is an open carry state so feel free to carry openly if you want. While driving you may have the weapon concealed on your person on in the glovebox, or wherever in the car and have it loaded if you want. When you leave the car the weapon must either be openly carried or left in the car.

I hope that this helps a little.

Tim
    kind of moot though, as the PA permit isn't honored there.
    "I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four-wheel drive.. a country boy can survive..." - Hank Williams, Jr.

I believ that as an OPen carry state, there is no permit required to Open Carry, so that is moot.
    Until Recently PA LTCF wasn't honored in AZ either, so OC would have been the only option there too.

I got an alert that Threeonebravo replied and quoted me but now it's not here.
    anyway to answer the question. yes Az has a Concealed Permit. You have take a class in AZ to get one even for non resident. Then in August or September they passed a reciprocity agreement (Actually I think it's just an honor thing) that if a permit is good Everywhere in the state of issue, has a printed expiration date, and requires a background check, AZ will honor it to conceal, but all AZ carry laws must be followed. They even made an exception to the first rule for NY since NYC doesn't allow NY state permits.

For Ohio if you have a vehicle with a seperate trunk, follow federal regulations about transporting firearms accross state lines. put the unloaded firearm into a locked container and place it in the trunk would be your best bet. with ammo in a seperate compartment. Even with an Ohio CHL it is still a major pain to transport in the state because the loaded weapon either has to be in "plain sight, in a holster on the body" or in a locked glove box or case, that is in "plain sight". (plain sight is in quotes because the law doesnt define what it is) so unloading it and putting it in the trunk in a locked case is prolly how to go. Also keep in mind that rest stops here are gov't owned and you can't carry into them, so id also be wary about pulling into one to move your weapon around into the trunk. I dunno about the other staes you are wondering about, but as far as Ohio goes that is my suggestion for you, hope this helps.

VIP Member
    In IL all you need to do is put the unloaded gun in a case the loaded mag can be in the case. Strangely enough, a fanny pac holster like one from glaco is legal. You can even wear it as long as the mag is not inserted in the gun. Go to gunssavelife.com.

I actually just did this trip a month ago. My advice is don't speed near Oklahoma city! Judging by the amount of police cars on the highway going through the city, nobody must live in the city BUT cops.

Good luck, expect a lot of construction caused traffic unfortunately.

Links