A thanks to Smith and Wesson

A thanks to Smith and Wesson

This is a discussion on A thanks to Smith and Wesson within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not sure which forum to put this in, but it is a kind of general topic so here seems like a good spot. At The ...

Thread: A thanks to Smith and Wesson

Thumbs up A thanks to Smith and Wesson

Not sure which forum to put this in, but it is a kind of general topic so here seems like a good spot. At The Ohio State University, we have a pistol club, we get together once a week and fire .22's (S&W 41's and Ruger Mark II's) in the basement of the ROTC building on a 50 foot range. Not the best, but for people who can't have guns on campus or drive to the range everyweek, some practice with a weapon is better than no practice. Anyways, I'm one of the officers for the club and frequently serve as a range officer. One Thursday evening last year, I released the slide on a 41 down onto the first round in a magazine, and to my amazement the gun went off. Finger was off the trigger, the weapon had slamfired, thankfully it was pointed downrange, so aside from my pride nothing was hurt. Even though nobody noticed, it was still rather embarrassing to me, so immediately I red flagged the gun, and made sure I didn't hand it out to anyone else for the next couple weeks (I'da hated to give that to a new shooter and have it slamfire on them). Apparently it had also happened a week or two before and no one bothered to red flag it, but it was mentioned to us after I did

The truth is our guns get shot a lot, and don't get as much love as they need. They get cleaned about once a quarter, so 3-4 times a year, and most have at least 100 rounds shot a week. We don't really get money from the school, and most of the weapons have been around a while. Anyways, over the summer the club's President and Vice-President got a hold of Smith and Wesson, who not only took all of our Model 41's and cleaned and did any other repairs neccessary for any of the weapons. They also donated several sets of eyes and ears for us to use, as well as giving us cleaning supplies.

I know Smith has a lifetime warranty policy, but I'm not even sure who the origional purchaser on our weapons was, and they made sure to get them all back to us as soon as they could before school starts, plus all the free gear, which helps to keep membership fees down. I have since shot the slamfire 41 (its one of our two short barrelled ones that is supposed to be a 1911 trainer, and those are the ones I try to get), and it functions much better than it did before we sent it back. Just thought I'd share my appreciation for S&W with the rest of you, because good actions, just like bad, deserve to be known, and usually aren't.

Administrator

Thumbs up

I love the Smith & Wesson Model 41.
    It is a phenomenal firearm in my opinion.
    I've owned 4 in my lifetime & still have 2 of them plus a bucket load of S&W41 Mags.
    Fantastic trigger & a deadly accurate .22
    I've never had any breakage failures with any of mine.
    I just love the gun.
    Some say they are finicky but, mine have all been great & fed everything flawlessly.
    One did not like Stingers at all.

That was decent of Smith & Wesson to do that for you folks.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    At least two guys at one club used the 41's for our pin shooting and yeah - they are stellar guns.

One of the two tho did have last year repeated problems but eventually it seems Smith got things right so - yep - there are good things to be said for old S&W.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

We hold a pin shoot at the end of every quarter using just our .22s. Doesnt make as much of a spectacle as when Ive done it on private land with some of my centerfires, but the .22s get the job done.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Smith is trying ( and succedeing imho ) to make up for some of the mistakes of past ownership .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

They were very helpfull with my 5906, I simply asked how to identify the recalled pistol grips, they didn't have a dot near the magwell, and S&W sent me a brand new set of grips, I never even asked them too. I'm not the original owner of the pistol. To me that's great service.

MD

I have had good luck with the minor things ive needed on my wheelies never have had to send one in smith sen me the part..

Now on my 1911sc on the other hand they were otally unhelpful

guess it depeds on the model

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Smith is trying ( and succedeing imho ) to make up for some of the mistakes of past ownership .
    Could not agree more!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Sponsored Links