Signs That The Panic is Tapering

This is a discussion on Signs That The Panic is Tapering within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In the past couple of weeks I have seen a number of signs in my area that the 'panic' that we've been under is abating ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Signs That The Panic is Tapering

In the past couple of weeks I have seen a number of signs in my area that the 'panic' that we've been under is abating and supply is beginning to return to somewhat of a decent level on guns as well as ammo. Here are my observations:

a) Ammo is becoming relatively practical to find at major outlets like Academy and Bass Pro Shop. They still have restrictions on the most popular calibers, but the supply is lasting hte better part of a day (I hit the same Academy twice today and got Remington UMC 9mm morning and afternoon). Also, the restricted caliber lists are becoming a bit silly, things like 7.62x54 really don't need to be limited because they aren't selling out.

b) Guns, ARs and hi cap semi auto pistols, are becoming easier to find. I was at a LGS this past weekend that had literally every model Glock and M&P in the case with more in the back at pre panic prices. When I bought my LC9 last week (more on that later), the store had 8 others in stock as well. Both of the Cabelas in my area have more ARs than I can count on their shelves, everything from basic Bushmasters to some pretty high dollar models like DPMS.

c) The gougers are getting right where they deserve it (I only partially mean the bottom line). A LGS in this area that was listing some absolutely insane prices recently has slashed them back to somewhere near reality. They had two Shields in stock in the case for $799, I went by the other day and they are now $499. Their 9mm Gold Dots were post Newtown immediately jacked up to $79.99 a box, they are now $49.99. Their mags are still way up there, but they are stocked up in huge quantities mainly because no one will pay their prices anymore.

d) Used guns are surging, mainly from the paranoid idiots who bought ARs for any asking price imaginable right after Newtown 'just in case they're banned'. Most of these idiots now realized that they have a gun that they don't want, can't afford, isn't going to be banned, and can't be sold for anything remotely near where what they paid for it. As much as I despise the gougers, I have zero sympathy for the panicky paranoid idiots.

In conclusion, are we headed for the days of $7 9mm? No. But it is abundantly clear that new gun laws on a national level aren't happening, the sellers market has dimmed due to buyers either smartening up or running out of money, and supply is now headed to at least a decently reasonable status in the near future.

One can only hope.........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I know things are looking up when a place that had a Colt 6920 marked at $2800 a couple months back has them just sitting on the shelf for $1099 now.
    bigmacque likes this.

From what I've seen locally...the gougers are still out early morning and waiting in line at Wal Marts to buy up the supply then posting on armslist for double. It's still hit or miss. Second hand ordeal here. I did get a couple of 100rd boxes WWB 40S&W for retail however. I will be shooting something this year and I don't care what it is so long as I shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by rosj2002 View Post
    From what I've seen locally...the gougers are still out early morning and waiting in line at Wal Marts to buy up the supply then posting on armslist for double. It's still hit or miss. Second hand ordeal here. I did get a couple of 100rd boxes WWB 40S&W for retail however. I will be shooting something this year and I don't care what it is so long as I shoot.
    Interesting, the Walmarts around here (all 24hr ones at least) stock their shelves at like 10pm, that's the time to go (as I have with great success).

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    Interesting, the Walmarts around here (all 24hr ones at least) stock their shelves at like 10pm, that's the time to go (as I have with great success).
    Guess it depends on the locals and the associates. 6pm and 6am seem to be good hits around here (and I've been talking with the WM associates at these stores when I go)........that's mainly the times I'm still at work (til 7am). I've thought about dropping them a $20 bill just to get me in to the aftermarket ordeal.....but that hasn't worked out...and I'm not going to pay for a maybe. LOL!
    Seems like a conspiracy against me that my nearest WM quit getting anything and the one further from me still seems to have something after 10am...even if it's leftovers. LOL!

We are in the second wave of panic buying around here. The ammo is coming in more frequently so the guys that didn't go crazy before are stockpiling everything they can get there hands on. So as it gets better the people get worse.

I've been noticing the same as I track the prices for an AR that I would like to purchase within the next few months. The same can also be said about magazines-- I just ordered two 33rd mags for my G17, and was pleased to see them going for $30~. Last gun show I was at had them anywhere from $45-90~.

Hopefully some of the bulk ammo sites will reign in their prices.. It was great to get 500rds of Remington 9mm last summer for just over $100.. The same item, albeit back-ordered, is currently listed at $409

I just ordered 4 PMags for $15.95 ea the other day. They were in stock, shipped the next day and in my hands 3 days from the date I ordered them.

I still have a couple on backorder at Midway which hasn't shipped. They may have lost or cancelled the order. I had two seperate orders at Midway, and I got the one order a couple months ago, so they may have lost the second order.

I'm happy I found the ones I bought the other day. And for regular prices. So, I definitely think the squeeze is easing up.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member
    Well MJB, I'm one of your "idiots" right here, got my .22ar in January, over paid for it but have decided instead of being upset about it to embrace this gun and tacky it up as much as I can and have fun with it! Was looking at a fancy smancy sight with a battery today to put on it, might even paint it red since I have always wanted a red gun and glue pretend diamonds & rubies on it. Probably can get a bike horn to fit on top too if it won't get in the way of the sight and some tassels hanging off the barrel end that will blow with the wind when shot!

When life gives you a lemon.......make a trophy out of it!
    GlockHawk17 likes this.
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

Quote Originally Posted by oppi27 View Post
    We are in the second wave of panic buying around here. The ammo is coming in more frequently so the guys that didn't go crazy before are stockpiling everything they can get there hands on. So as it gets better the people get worse.
    Your fellow members in society. Yes...the "people" get worse.
    I'm pretty much done with "people" as it were. Sometimes I think that I get worse right along with them. I don't like it....but...be that as it may.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I agree it is easing up. On Sunday a local Walmart actually had a box or two of .40 an .45 left which is something I haven't seen in 6 moths.
    Here is the gunbot page for 9mm; GunBot find 9mm ammo in stock Most of the stores listed show in stock. Many of them are still trying to sell at ridiculous prices, e.g. $1.00+ per round, but some of them are down to about $0.37/round, which is still high ($18 per box of 50) but less than it was a few weeks ago. As it doesn't sell at the inflated prices they will drop, just slowly.

I been noticing a slow return to sanity for at least 6 weeks now in my part of Texas. Plenty of guns at all the lgs and a good steady supply of ammo in all calibers. Heck one local Wally had 20 boxes of 380 come in Thursday morning and this Monday they still had 17 of them on the shelf another Wally had 15 boxes of 223 on the shelf at 2pm, that was unheard of a few weeks ago.

Distinguished Member
    I have to agree, seeing the ammo being more available and in stock in the box stores and watching armslist and gun owners club return to some level of normal.

I think it's gonna be a good summer! I see great deals on used guns and stacks of ammo in my future .
    Think there were some of us saying things would be getting back to normal around June.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I'm hoping to capitalize on these idiots that are ditching their overpriced ARs so I can build an M16A4 clone for my birthday on the cheap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links