Selling Ammo Privately (ie at a gun show)

This is a discussion on Selling Ammo Privately (ie at a gun show) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have to ask this out of semi ignorance, but is it possible/legal to sell ammo out of my personal supply on my own at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Selling Ammo Privately (ie at a gun show)

Selling Ammo Privately (ie at a gun show)

I have to ask this out of semi ignorance, but is it possible/legal to sell ammo out of my personal supply on my own at a gun show or similar private arrangement? The reason why I ask is that I may be getting out of .40 S&W (I'm refining/downsizing my armory, see the thread in the gun forum) and I have roughly 300 rounds of .40 ammo sitting in boxes in my closet that I don't really have a need for. It consists of a pair of 100 boxes of Winchester and Federal and 3 20rd boxes of Critical Duty 175gr. There is a gun show this weekend locally and if possible I would like to sell it for what it's worth (I'm thinking like $130-150 for the whole deal), can you do this? Will people buy ammo from a private seller who isn't an exhibitor?

2. Remove Ads

Check your local laws and IANAL, but I see no reason why not. Ammo isn't regulated in any way where I live. I can sell it at a gun show, at a garage sale, anywhere I choose. No different to selling a pair of jeans or an AC unit.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Not a problem. Private sales of factory ammunition is a boon right now in my area....mainly posted on armslist. If you are trying to sell ammunition that you have reloaded that might be a different story.

Senior Moderator
    Its legal as long as you don't make a habit out of it.

Doing it more than a couple of times in a short period of time would have the ATF seeing it as a "business for profit" and they would want you to have a license.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

It would be a good idea to contact the people running the show to make sure they are cool with it also.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

As long as you didn't reload it (which would make you the manufacturer).

The ATF does not require any type of license to sell ammunition, only to manufacture it. However, you must comply with federal law when selling.

So... you can't sell that pistol ammunition to someone under 21 years of age, or someone you know to be prohibited from possessing it, such as a felon.
    Owner, Maple Leaf Firearms LLC (07 FFL/02SOT)

Edit: If they buy the .40 ammunition for use in a rifle, and you as the seller deem them to be telling the truth, you may sell an 18 year old "pistol" ammunition.
    Owner, Maple Leaf Firearms LLC (07 FFL/02SOT)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'd think it would be more of a concern with the gun show folks more than anything. They lease floorspace to the vendors. But at teh same time, a lot of poeple walk around carrying rifles, etc. and have "For Sale" signs taped on it. Why not ".40 Ammo for sale"?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

OK that's roughly what I thought the answer was. And to be clear, profiting isn't my goal, most likely if I do sell it I will turn around and spend that money on ammo in another caliber. If I get a .45 in the near future I will need ammo as I am at square zero on that front.

I'm not really in the market for .40 S&W ammo, but it sounds like you probably have too much 9mm on your hands, too. Want to sell it to me?
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    I have to ask this out of semi ignorance, but is it possible/legal to sell ammo out of my personal supply on my own at a gun show or similar private arrangement? The reason why I ask is that I may be getting out of .40 S&W (I'm refining/downsizing my armory, see the thread in the gun forum) and I have roughly 300 rounds of .40 ammo sitting in boxes in my closet that I don't really have a need for. It consists of a pair of 100 boxes of Winchester and Federal and 3 20rd boxes of Critical Duty 175gr. There is a gun show this weekend locally and if possible I would like to sell it for what it's worth (I'm thinking like $130-150 for the whole deal), can you do this? Will people buy ammo from a private seller who isn't an exhibitor?
    I wish I lived closer I am about out. Its a sweet deal for someone.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    Check your local laws and IANAL, but I see no reason why not. Ammo isn't regulated in any way where I live. I can sell it at a gun show, at a garage sale, anywhere I choose. No different to selling a pair of jeans or an AC unit.
    Recheck your federal laws.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    I'm not really in the market for .40 S&W ammo, but it sounds like you probably have too much 9mm on your hands, too. Want to sell it to me?
    No.

Armslist...what's the story with that? Is it just like Craiglist for firearms instead of hookers?

Why not go to your local/favorite LGS and trade it out for what you want or need?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Why not go to your local/favorite LGS and trade it out for what you want or need?
    I don't know a single LGS around here that would do that. All their policies on ammo and guns are 'all sales final', they act like once you take ammo out of the store they never want to lay eyes on it again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links